PDA

View Full Version : overheating fix?

01 250exman
11-05-2009, 12:14 AM
So, I am thinking about using a heater core as a second radiator on my banshee I think its b.s. to spend 400/500 dollars on a aftermarket over sized radiator, I was thinking about installing it down by the bumper or somewhere has anyone done this before? I think the only concern would be if the pump could put out the extra psi needed to circulate right I have the aftermarket impeller and metal hosing.

01 250exman
11-05-2009, 12:17 AM
And it would look sweet with some air scoops :D

01 250exman
11-05-2009, 12:21 AM
here is a kick *** black one

11-05-2009, 05:35 PM
How are you overheating that bad? I run mine hard on 80 degree days, doing a lot of trails, and never had a problem with overheating...

I wouldn't add on that heater core as a second radiator. The water pump most likely won't be able to pump very well through all the extra piping and core. If anything it might overheat easier from not circulating as fast.

There's a couple things you can try.

Engine Ice coolant, good stuff.
In-line coolers (I think they make them for coolant??)
Cool-head
Try to figure out how to mount two 4" spal fans on each side of the steering stem behind the radiator, hooked to a toggle switch.

01 250exman
11-08-2009, 08:06 PM
Thanks, It seems to overheat when I trail ride I just don't want it to overheat anymore I have been running engine-ice for 2 years and it helps a lot but I hate having to worry about it at the dunes ect I looked in to the in line coolers they seem like they might not help much since I am running all steel housing that is like the in line coolers but they are cheep so I might get some I can't fined any over 3 inch I want the long *** ones :D

01 250exman
11-08-2009, 08:10 PM
lol it's taking a whiz in the snow it was like -9 out wtf :rolleyes:

wingnut548
03-28-2010, 07:17 PM
hey bro pull your clutch cover and check the plastic gear that turns your water pump. I have seen them melt to the water pump shaft and still turn the pump but not as fast as it is suppost to they are about 13.50 at the yamaha shop and take 10 minutes to put in they should just slip on and off. I ride lots of trails with several buddys on banshees as well and every time we have had one start to over heat on on a pretty regular basis thats generally been the problem. hope it helps

01 250exman
04-12-2010, 06:16 PM
hey thanks but that shouldn't be the problem I put the metal aftermarket impeller on in it and it helped but some times like when I ride hard it still dose it!

Wayner
05-06-2010, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by 01 250exman
hey thanks but that shouldn't be the problem I put the metal aftermarket impeller on in it and it helped but some times like when I ride hard it still dose it!

Mine used to spit on slower trail rides as well. I did some research and determined that the stock head isn't as efficient as it should be keeping everything cool. I switched to a Trinity Stage 5 head with domes that require 93 octance fuel and the spitting issue went away. The Trinity head does a great job keeping things cool, plus you can up the compression giving you a better hit in the powerband. A Cool head would do the same thing.