PDA

View Full Version : United States Army

eastcoastpro20
11-04-2009, 11:28 PM
Is anyone in here apart of the army (active or reserves), im considering joining ans was wondering what those of you who were enlisted thought about bein in the army.

cdrookie
11-05-2009, 05:01 AM
i WAS in it for 5 years, absolutely hated it. if you do enlist do it wisely and take advantage of the opportunities presented. it can open alot of doors for you when you get out if you can stay out of trouble.

Stiles86
11-05-2009, 06:49 AM
it sucks, there retarded and they treat you like crap....ive been in for 3 years now and hate it if you need the money or want the schooling join the air force more chicks,same pay, and from what ive seen beter leadership

OutlawBill
11-05-2009, 06:55 AM
I was in for 22 years loved it.

tri5ron
11-05-2009, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by Stiles86
it sucks, there retarded and they treat you like crap....ive been in for 3 years now and hate it if you need the money or want the schooling join the air force more chicks,same pay, and from what ive seen beter leadership Does anyone else,.... see anything here,..... That appears to be self evident ???

Ichoptop
11-05-2009, 07:49 AM
ummm, bad spelling and punctuation?

OutlawBill
11-05-2009, 08:47 AM
Just shows the quality of today's education system.

your2slo2
11-05-2009, 01:55 PM
Its all in what you make of it . If I had it to do all over again I would have gone Air Force from the start . But I now am hitting my 12 year mark with the Army and might as well stay til retirement . Just pick a job that is gonna help you when you get out dont be a ground pounder or grunt .

Pipeless416
11-05-2009, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by tri5ron
Does anyone else,.... see anything here,..... That appears to be self evident ???

raises hand*

ZeroLogic
11-05-2009, 03:23 PM
If you play your cards right, it will turn out to be one of the best things you'll ever do. Just because it looks or seems cool now don't mean it will three or four years from now. Think ahead of time and put a lot of thought into it and the field you join.

Take everything the recruiter told you with a grain of salt. Remember, their job is to get you to join so they can pay their bills.

I was so close to joining but my recruiter tried pulling a fast one on me. (long story) So just be careful. Know the regs and whatnot.

Gray33
11-05-2009, 05:22 PM
I am wanting to join the army or airforce but dont know if i could make it threw basic

3ddds400ex
11-05-2009, 11:34 PM
15yrs in the Army. I had a good time. Yeah, some was FUBAR but, you learn to deal with it. If I had a chance to do it over again........... well......... I would pick the Air Force.

cdrookie
11-06-2009, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by Gray33
I am wanting to join the army or airforce but dont know if i could make it threw basic

if you keep your mouth shut and do what you're told you can make it. if you can't pass the pt test they'll keep you in "fat" camp till you can or till they're sick of you. especially the army, they'll take anyone.

the one benefit of the army vs the AF is that you get rank faster in the army which means more $$$. military doesn't pay squat, it's no secret.:ermm:

OutlawBill
11-06-2009, 07:04 AM
if you can do 50 push-ups and set-ups and run 2 miles non stop and you can say yes Drill Sargent no Drill Sargent three bag full Drill Sargent you can get through basic,

racerx573
11-06-2009, 01:23 PM
It's what you make of it just like everyone else who said that. Research as much as you can, and don't base your opinions on guys who say it sucks, chances are they didn't do all the research and find out all the different variables.
A lot of the guys who hate it, hate it because they got stuck in a job.

Go and find the job description/MOS number, etc of exactly what you want to do and tell the recruiter that or nothing else.

I am in the USMC Reserves, and have served a lot of time on active duty.

Don't join for the money, because everyone gets paid the same in all the branches, whether you're an E-6 in the Marines, Army, Air Force, etc... just some branches have different bonuses, and extra incentives pay.

DO YOUR RESEARCH. TALK TO PEOPLE IN PERSON WHO ARE IN. GO UP TO YOUR LOCAL RESERVE UNIT/BASE if there is one in your area and TALK to people, and see how things are run.

Air wing is the way to go in many branches as I have discovered.

eastcoastpro20
11-06-2009, 06:36 PM
thanks for all the input guys, ive talked to my recruiter and took the practice asfab (or however its spelt) and scored a 49 they said this was really good cause people score higher on the actual than the practice and in the regualr a 50 gets you a bonus. Im gna talk to some people who my mom is friends with that are in the army about joinin.
I jus think its a great opportunity to serve my country and protect our freedom and become a better man and individual and have a great life experience.

racerx573
11-06-2009, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by eastcoastpro20
thanks for all the input guys, ive talked to my recruiter and took the practice asfab (or however its spelt) and scored a 49 they said this was really good cause people score higher on the actual than the practice and in the regualr a 50 gets you a bonus. Im gna talk to some people who my mom is friends with that are in the army about joinin.
I jus think its a great opportunity to serve my country and protect our freedom and become a better man and individual and have a great life experience.

Sounds like some good reasons to join right there!! Good to have guys with that mindset who want to join our armed forces.

That's part of the reason I joined. And my did 31 years in the Marines, so it's kind of a family thing.

The military way of life gave our family everything we have along with my dad's hard work. I would not have been able to race growing without it.

cdrookie
11-07-2009, 06:59 AM
i got 49/50 on my pretest also, 80 on the asvab, and had a 127 gt score, only thing that means anything is your gt score, but they only care about that when your time is near for promotion(mainly E-5). won't get you any bonus at all. time you enlist for and/or mos is what will get you a bonus. also if you're educated(degree) you can get in with more rank.

have you talked with an air force recruiter???????????
everyone is telling you air force but you're still talking army.

and lastly-----> only YOU can make yourself a "man", military won't do it.

eastcoastpro20
11-07-2009, 10:44 AM
im not joinin the airforce i said army so yea im still talkin about the army

3ddds400ex
11-08-2009, 12:26 AM
If you plan on going in the Army, try this. Whatever job you pick, if its in infantry, try to be the best. Push yourself as far as you can. Dont be just another Joe. Try to be Airborn/Air Assault/Ranger/ Special Forces. Thats the best place to be. Also, rank comes faster.

TRXman86
11-08-2009, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by tri5ron
Does anyone else,.... see anything here,..... That appears to be self evident ???

I second that! Sounds to me like somebody had a few issues with integrity and respect...

Army is a good life if you are single! I spent 6 years in and had a great time till I got stationed at Ft. Riley. I had real bad leadership, horrible NCO's, and even worse CO's. Not everywhere is like this though. If you are to join up, tell them you want the option to choose where you want to go for your duty station. Get Ft. Carson if you can or Irwin out in Cali. Irwin is a fun place, but HOT as he!!...

HOWEVER, If I were to do it all over again, I'd go to either Marines or Air Force. Marines have the best looking uniforms and leadership. But what you put into any service is what you get out of it. Do all of your schooling/college first. Then after that worry about getting thru A/B Noc. SCHOOL SCHOOL SCHOOL!!!!

Gray33
11-08-2009, 08:36 PM
Will the army pay for the surgey where you dont have to wear contacts anymore i dont feel like wearing them glasses thru basic

cdrookie
11-08-2009, 09:10 PM
no, the army will issue you some BCG's

eastcoastpro20
11-08-2009, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by TRXman86
I second that! Sounds to me like somebody had a few issues with integrity and respect...

Army is a good life if you are single! I spent 6 years in and had a great time till I got stationed at Ft. Riley. I had real bad leadership, horrible NCO's, and even worse CO's. Not everywhere is like this though. If you are to join up, tell them you want the option to choose where you want to go for your duty station. Get Ft. Carson if you can or Irwin out in Cali. Irwin is a fun place, but HOT as he!!...

HOWEVER, If I were to do it all over again, I'd go to either Marines or Air Force. Marines have the best looking uniforms and leadership. But what you put into any service is what you get out of it. Do all of your schooling/college first. Then after that worry about getting thru A/B Noc. SCHOOL SCHOOL SCHOOL!!!!

so are you sayin i should go to college first then join?

rbgnwa45
11-09-2009, 12:41 AM
Go to college so you have something to go back on, you don't want something to happen years down the road and be screwed for a good paying career, it's a smart choice, but you could also just go to college after your service, what's the difference? It's better to waste time that is somewhat more affordable and won't have you feeling old and uneducated. A secondary education will be usefull in the field. I've thought about being a pilot, but I can do about 7 pushups before my arms start shaking, I lost 100lbs last year too, so I ain't lazy.

Eviltanker
11-09-2009, 06:31 AM
Will the army pay for the surgey where you dont have to wear contacts anymore i dont feel like wearing them glasses thru basic

Actually they are doing it at Walter reed now. I might get it done. Oh I got almost 20 years in now and would do it all again in a heart beat. Best time I've had.

F-16Guy
11-09-2009, 11:01 AM
Every branch of service has it's benefits and drawbacks. In my opinion, the Air Force has the most career choices that translate to civilian jobs, but the Army has some, too. Communications would be a good field to get into. Be smart about it; don't go in to be Rambo. Go in and select a career field with long-term goals in mind because four or six years go by in a flash.

Depending on the MOS you get, you may or may not receive a signing bonus. That all depends on what their retention numbers for that MOS (and the Army in general) look like. Don't pick your career based on the bonus - that's just stupid. Besides, you only get half up front, and it's all taxed, so it will probably be blown on strippers and booze in two weeks anyway.

Regardless of the MOS you choose, make sure you sign up for the Montgomery GI Bill. It will cost you $1200 ($100/mo. for your first 12 mos of service), but it is well worth it. The Chapter 30 GI Bill (active duty) pays about $1200/mo. in benefits for full time credit hours and can be used the day after you separate up until 10 years after your date of separation. It can be used for traditional college, certificate programs, vocational schools, and various other programs. Most colleges now have accelerated classes, and under Chapter 30, just two accelerated classes is considered full time credits. The money is deposited directly into your account upon verification of enrollment, so you can pick the cheapest college you can find, and whatever money is left over after you pay for tuition and books is yours to keep.