PDA

View Full Version : Break-in time?

axellmusic19
11-04-2009, 05:09 PM
I have a LT250R and the top end has been completely replaced about 15 or so hours ago (riding hours), and just recently read in the manual saying that the break-in time for a new top end is 150 hours! To me that sounds crazy and to not be able to go more than short bursts of throttle up to %75 seems tedious. I can understand alot of things have to be worn into operation but 150 hours? How long should break in take, or how long did your breaking in take?

speedfreek
11-04-2009, 06:16 PM
I would think it might say it needs boring after 150 hrs?

No, I remember it being "need to replace piston and rings after 30 hrs".

As far as break in goes, I usually do a couple of "heat cycles" on the piston then it's broke in.

I have rebuilt many bikes and some of them have been properly broken in and others have been riden wide open from the time it fires up and don't really have any problems with any of them.

Toadz400
11-04-2009, 09:38 PM
The manual probably stated that it should be rebuilt after 150 hours.

I would break it in whichever way you are comfortable breaking it in.

I recommend reading this: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm (http://)

axellmusic19
11-04-2009, 10:03 PM
That sounds like good news to me lol thank you very much. I will be trying 10-15 hours of varied speed limited throttle and then check the piston and so forth to see how it is doing. It says no joke "150 hours must be logged before high throttle for extended periods of time". I'll disregard that for now. :)

speedfreek
11-05-2009, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by axellmusic19
I will be trying 10-15 hours of varied speed limited throttle and then check the piston and so forth to see how it is doing. I usually start it up for a few minutes. Then let it cool down. I do this maybe 3 times varing the throttle and this is all the break in time needed. This is what wiesco recommends. A few "heat cycles".

At the most 30 min of run time and then you can drive it like you stole it!

tommygunnz
11-06-2009, 06:20 PM
go on CTRacing.com then go in to the tip sheet and it says how to properly break it in

Sjorge450R
11-06-2009, 07:01 PM
ride it like you stole it. Always worked for me.

I do go through about 5 heat cycles first.

tommygunnz
11-06-2009, 07:06 PM
how about break it in like you just spent a G in motor work and parts after dis assembling and re assembling it urself! Id rather do the proper amount of heat cycles and plug chops to be sure its broken in properly and jetted nice Im sure some guys ridin it like they stole it has their motors end prematurally but hey to each their own

axellmusic19
11-08-2009, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by tommygunnz
how about break it in like you just spent a G in motor work and parts after dis assembling and re assembling it urself! Id rather do the proper amount of heat cycles and plug chops to be sure its broken in properly and jetted nice Im sure some guys ridin it like they stole it has their motors end prematurally but hey to each their own

Thank you all very much for the info on the heat cycles! I will be trying several of them before riding fast. What are plug chops? Do different cylinders require different jetting or is that just to prefference?

tommygunnz
11-08-2009, 03:36 PM
plug chop is to see how its jetted on CTs website the first plug chop they have u start in 2nd go through 3rd into 4th all the way to the top of the powerband the pull the clutch in and turn it off keepin the clutch in till the bike is stopped then u read the plug where the porcelen is under the electrode to see if its rich lean or on the money makin sure jetting is on is essential to a reliable powerful machine

Sjorge450R
11-09-2009, 12:29 PM

Just to throw this out there, I have NEVER had a motor failure. I do altough do a lot of preventative maitance, but like I said, I have never had an engine problem/failure.

Engine break in is a very sensitive topic to some people and there is an infinte amount of techiques that one could follow to break in a motor. Some people like myself dont have the land to do a plug chop, so we cant do that. I have never and I have never had a problem jetting from sound, feel, and recomendations.

tommygunnz
11-09-2009, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
Just to throw this out there, I have NEVER had a motor failure. I do altough do a lot of preventative maitance, but like I said, I have never had an engine problem/failure.

Engine break in is a very sensitive topic to some people and there is an infinte amount of techiques that one could follow to break in a motor. Some people like myself dont have the land to do a plug chop, so we cant do that. I have never and I have never had a problem jetting from sound, feel, and recomendations. I really dont have much space right where the bike is either I have to do a plug chop on a road where theres not too much traffic or bring it on a truck somewhere but seein as my carb is brand new Im makin sure it gets jetted right.How exactly do u break urs in?

Toadz400
11-11-2009, 11:23 AM

I broke my YFZ in with 3 heat cycles and then I rode it like I would for the next 4 years, hard as I can. Valves are still within spec, doesn't burn a drop of oil, and it runs like a top. I've always had the jetting right on and I've used Amsoil.

I've probably got around 300-400 hours on my YFZ, haven't even thought about rebuilding it yet.

Sjorge450R
11-11-2009, 12:17 PM
I really dont have much space right where the bike is either I have to do a plug chop on a road where theres not too much traffic or bring it on a truck somewhere but seein as my carb is brand new Im makin sure it gets jetted right.How exactly do u break urs in?

I just ride it in the space that I have going through different throttle positions. If something acts up, make some adjustments and try again. I start with jetting that people are using at my elevation and then work from there. I think I have been lucky and never really had many jetting problems, but I never did a plug chop, nor would i want to on a $14 450r plug.....

tommygunnz
11-11-2009, 01:30 PM
u can reuse those plugs after chop means cutting the bike off with the clutch in but 14 for a plug damn:eek2: I broke in a built ATC250R bored 120 over a few years back like u kinda I just let it idle turned it off over and over again then rode it easy never had a problem so I guess the trick is heat cycles and easy for atleast a tank to two tanks