PDA

View Full Version : Head Gasket?

OverTheEdgeINC
11-04-2009, 03:22 AM
I bought a Honda the other day. Guy told me it has a bad head gasket. I was just curious how hard of a job it is and if it requires anything else in the process? Its a 440EX. So does anyknow know will the stock headgasket work? Also anything I should look for? I am just wondering as this is all 100% new to me.

TRXRacer1
11-04-2009, 06:23 AM
You need an 89mm head gasket and some cylinder stud repairs. Most likely your studs are pulling out of the aluminum. When you get it apart take the cylinder to your local machine shop and have them make and install thread inserts out of brass or SS for the head studs. Don't use heli-coils you want a bigger hold in the aluminum. Reassemble with the same studs you started with, that new 89mm gasket and torque everything to stock specs.

OverTheEdgeINC
11-04-2009, 06:48 AM
The guy who sold me it told me that when the shop who did the repair didn't torque the head down. They just tightened it (not overtightened) but just enuff to seal the gasket and it held up for about a hr of riding, Then he said you could hear air seaping out of it. I havent run it since I had it I just was making sure that this wasn't a mistake on my part getting this. It came with a stock head too.

TRXRacer1
11-04-2009, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by OverTheEdgeINC
The guy who sold me it told me that when the shop who did the repair didn't torque the head down. They just tightened it (not overtightened) but just enuff to seal the gasket and it held up for about a hr of riding, Then he said you could hear air seaping out of it. I havent run it since I had it I just was making sure that this wasn't a mistake on my part getting this. It came with a stock head too. Sound like a line of BS came with the quad too. It's not a big deal or uncommon but if it doesn't already have the repair or HD studs then you need to throw a little attention to the situation.

OverTheEdgeINC
11-04-2009, 03:26 PM
Thanks for your help!