PDA

View Full Version : Whats your overall impressions of Kymco quads?

tri5ron
11-03-2009, 10:37 PM
What say you?
Positive or Negative,...I want to hear about it.

Quad18star
11-03-2009, 11:52 PM
My uncle has a Kymco 4x4 quad and I'll admit , for the price he paid , he got a good deal. It'll basically go anywhere my grizzly goes and hasn't broken down on him . I've also heard from him , that the parts are easy to get since the parts are nearly identical to another major manufacturer ( Yamaha I think).

I don't think you'd have many problems with one for your son.

rodeo#11
11-04-2009, 08:05 AM
one of my very first quads was the first ever mongoose 250.. i was certainly skeptical about it never hearing anything of the brand but i put that quad through absolute hell....never once did anything really break.

pros-
tires, comes stock with kenda klaws
wheels, not sure what kind they were but they were super tough!
auto tranny good for beginners
variety of parts offered due to the look alike models.
held up quiet well against general abuse of trail riding and small 250 class racing.
price was reasonable.
loved the easy to view oil level on motor casing
overall maintenance was simple even for a beginner.
fuel capacity is great for long trail rides
seat is super comfortable

cons-
shocks are horrible, worse than 400ex stocks lol
heavy! quad was super heavy and for a beginner rider if it was to tip on you, your screwed.
belt drive started going out after a while
was hard to feel some fluids due to location of tanks.

overall for a beginner quad i couldnt of ask for better...although it was slow and wouldnt really go anywheres was still really fun and the price wasnt bad at all.

rollie
11-04-2009, 08:46 AM
I remember reading a test on one in a magazine and they agreed alot with the post above it, they said it was a good quad, not very fast though and the front shocks were very stiff.

Scro
11-04-2009, 10:35 AM
There were quite a few Kymco utilities racing in the GNCC's at one point, and they seemed to be doing fairly well. Haven't seen one racing in a while though.

rodeo#11
11-04-2009, 11:10 AM
for me it wasn't really the shocks were to stiff it was lack there of...bottomed out way to easy and no im not over weight i was a average sized kid.. but i mean you have to figure to its just a kids quad so they don't expect much from them...however elka does make shocks for them :blah:

tri5ron
11-04-2009, 09:24 PM
well I know one person who is pretty darned Impressed !....

Wanna see tonights happiest kid on the planet ???

We made him close his eyes, and walked him out into the garage. stood him in front of it, and told him to count to three and hit the lights.
He went NUTS, and in 5 seconds was yelling "Where's the key Dad ???"
LOL! he was ready to try doing some laps inside the garage!

I think we better wait till I get the remote kill switch, and throttle limiter installed...

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/04%20Kymco%20Mongoose%2090/IMG_0391.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/04%20Kymco%20Mongoose%2090/IMG_0389.jpg

SRH
11-04-2009, 09:34 PM
nice, i hear there decent, btw does that have reverse?

tri5ron
11-04-2009, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by SRH
nice, i hear there decent, btw does that have reverse? No reverse on the '04 models, I know the new '09's do have it, but I'm not sure when they started having it. It may be just this years models.
I'm just starting to learn all the details on these things.

I'm under the impression that they are based off of the Yamaha's engine, but I'm not positive on that.

rodeo#11
11-04-2009, 09:41 PM
thats awesome man! kymco put a throttle restricter screw in the thumb throttle on my 250 model when i had it.

tri5ron
11-04-2009, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by rodeo#11
thats awesome man! kymco put a throttle restricter screw in the thumb throttle on my 250 model when i had it. Yeah, the 90's got it too, but it apparently was removed, or vibrated out with the original owner. I've just got to get up to the hardware store and pick up a screw and jam-nut, I'm also going to get one of the remote kill/start switches on EBAY.
They claim to have a 250' range on them. That way I can shut him down while sitting on my own quad.

has anyone here tried one of those remote kill switches ???

rodeo#11
11-04-2009, 09:52 PM
just tether here... but i did read a good review in quad magazine. they also had a add for them in the back in the classifieds

honda400ex2003
11-04-2009, 10:11 PM
nice machine and i am glad he is happy with it. i saw the pics of it in the show your ex stuff last night too. i just didnt post since i was going to bed. lol. glad to see the tradition living on in the younger kids. Steve

Quad18star
11-04-2009, 10:16 PM
That's awesome Ron . He doesn't look like he could be any happier.