PDA

View Full Version : Rear Tires or Slip On?

tywebb3
11-03-2009, 08:04 PM
I am just trying to figure out my X-mas wish list and am looking for opinions. I have a fairly stock '05 400ex. I have only added 450r front shocks, a UNI air filter, and plan to make up an Outerwears airbox lid...and rejet.

I was considering adding a Lexx MXe slip on or possibly going with new rear tires. I still have the stock tires on the back with decent tread left on them but they are filled with some kind of fluid (I assume fix a flat or slime) that the previous owner must have pumped them full of. So would I see more benefit from adding the slip on or going with some 6-ply Holeshots or Maxxis Razrs on the rear? The bike is used for trail riding.

red_rider_069
11-03-2009, 08:41 PM
well slip on sounds good, headers usually dont really do anything anyways, tires sound good too, i'd definitally try a diffrent slip on though, i have holeshots on all 4's there ok but hard trail good tires or hard trails bad tires +2hp with exuast? lol pick one and dont expect to get over 5hp with a full exhaust system

Originally posted by tywebb3
I am just trying to figure out my X-mas wish list and am looking for opinions. I have a fairly stock '05 400ex. I have only added 450r front shocks, a UNI air filter, and plan to make up an Outerwears airbox lid...and rejet.

I was considering adding a Lexx MXe slip on or possibly going with new rear tires. I still have the stock tires on the back with decent tread left on them but they are filled with some kind of fluid (I assume fix a flat or slime) that the previous owner must have pumped them full of. So would I see more benefit from adding the slip on or going with some 6-ply Holeshots or Maxxis Razrs on the rear? The bike is used for trail riding.

TRXRacer1
11-04-2009, 06:39 AM
Stock tires aren't all that bad, not as bad as that stock pipe anyway. Go for the slip-on.

bmid450
11-04-2009, 08:52 PM
I would go for the slip on,but probably not the Lexx, didnt like the sound clips on you tube, or the cheesy mounting,check out quadcommand.com, they sell a slip on for $177 with a stainless midpipe and core, aluminum can with all welded brackets.put one on my 400,fit great and really woke it up.

tri5ron
11-05-2009, 09:21 AM
keep the tires until you wear them out.

get the slip-on, and grind your headpipe welds, before you do the re-jet.

watch the classifieds here for a good deal on a slip-on, or post a WTB in the classifieds for a decent slip-on.

don't get too caught up on brand names,
they ALL are a huge improvement in airflow, compared to the stock can.
Have patience, and diligence, and you will find a good deal.

remember the old saying....
a fool and his money are soon parted.

There is also the old, ......"Measure Twice/ Cut Once",
that in this case can be modified to, "Think twice/ Spend Once"

slightlybent47
11-05-2009, 01:46 PM
Post a pic of those tires, I'll bet there worn out. If there stock and the ordinal ones then you need new tires. You’ll have much more traction with new tries and it will feel like you have a bunch more HP.

A pipe sounds good and it will be lighter than a stock one but the reality is with out other mods just a pipe will only give you maybe two more hp than stock. More power wont do any good if you cant put it to the ground. All you'll do is spin those slick tires and it wont be any faster.

Just my opinion.

TRXRacer1
11-05-2009, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
Post a pic of those tires, I'll bet there worn out. If there stock and the ordinal ones then you need new tires. You’ll have much more traction with new tries and it will feel like you have a bunch more HP.

Just my opinion. That's a good point. If they are junk and can only get one or the other he can get the tires then Gordon mod the baffle on the stock pipe. If they're good then go with the pipe.

Shawthy33
11-05-2009, 02:03 PM
Power is no good if you can't get it to the ground.....go with tires.

I just got four fresh tires and it feels like I'm riding a different quad, I love it.

Ryan'07400ex
11-05-2009, 02:17 PM
if you are going to get an exhaust think about how loud you want because I got an HMF and it is louder than I'd like it to be. I'd get a quiet core but then the TRM won't be in at same time. See I bought it thinking being as loud as all my friends will be awesome but at times now im just like "wow this is kinda annoying" (especially when I'm on big trip where I ride from 9 to 9 in summer) haha and I know my parents and grandparents dont like the loudness.

I'd say get new tires only if you need them and Id say get the exhaust if you just like the sound. There are other things you could improve to make you get faster for less money sometimes.

slightlybent47
11-05-2009, 02:40 PM
If they look like this, then there useless, get new tires.

http://i36.tinypic.com/mj04xt.jpg

TRXRacer1
11-05-2009, 02:48 PM
If they look like this, then there useless, get new tires.

http://i36.tinypic.com/mj04xt.jpg Is that the pic you meant to post? They don't look completely useless.

slightlybent47
11-05-2009, 08:38 PM
I was 17 seconds faster per lap from those compared to new ones. Big difference.

slightlybent47
11-05-2009, 08:50 PM
Same tire old and new. The new tires the knobs are taller and square and sharp.
The old ones look ok at first but if you look closely the out side edge is gone and the knobs are rounded off and much shorter.

http://i35.tinypic.com/kanrkx.jpg

http://i37.tinypic.com/34ovl2d.jpg

katch26
11-05-2009, 08:52 PM
what?
faster with the useless tires?

slightlybent47
11-05-2009, 08:56 PM
Those who have gone from old tires to new ones know what I"m talking about.

If you think there still good I'll be glad to sell them to you!!!
I have about four sets of them.

katch26
11-05-2009, 09:12 PM
Those who have gone from old tires to new ones know what I"m talking about.

If you think there still good I'll be glad to sell them to you!!!
I have about four sets of them.

am I the only one having trouble here?,

you post a pic of "useless" tires then say how much faster those useless tires are then post pics comparing old to new then want to sell said useless tires?

slightlybent47
11-05-2009, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by katch26
am I the only one having trouble here?,

you post a pic of "useless" tires then say how much faster those useless tires are then post pics comparing old to new then want to sell said useless tires?

Go to bed you need sleep!!!

katch26
11-05-2009, 09:38 PM
I was 17 seconds faster per lap with the new ones compared to the old ones. Big difference.

nevermind I fixed it

strubby
11-05-2009, 10:01 PM
Those look like the Dunlops I took off my Z when I couldn't figure out why I didn't go anywhere 'til I shifted to second gear. Holeshot HDs were my cure, and made a bigger difference than any one single performance mod. But then again I'm in FL and I ride in mosty soft sugar sand. Without the fun of dunes :rolleyes: So what's your terrain?

slightlybent47
11-05-2009, 10:18 PM
Those are hole shot and the used one had about half a season on it. From sandy tracks to hard packed clay.
They lasted about 4 months; I use about three sets a year.

The hard packed clay or a blue grooved track will eat them up way faster then the sand will.

slightlybent47
11-05-2009, 10:31 PM
I think tires are overlooked much to often. It's an expensive sport and if you want to stay fast you got to keep good sneakers on the ol'girl.

Shawthy33
11-06-2009, 06:32 AM
I think tires are overlooked much to often. It's an expensive sport and if you want to stay fast you got to keep good sneakers on the ol'girl.

Amen

TRXRacer1
11-06-2009, 06:44 AM
Same tire old and new. The new tires the knobs are taller and square and sharp.
The old ones look ok at first but if you look closely the out side edge is gone and the knobs are rounded off and much shorter.

http://i35.tinypic.com/kanrkx.jpg

Okay, this looks different to me then the little picture you posted. The old here looks like junk where the other old looked plenty good for a rec rider.

strubby
11-06-2009, 07:24 AM
I was agreeing. Those are holeshots, mine were stock Dunlops. To the average person they may look decent, I thought mine were ok. But get new tires and you'll soon realize the difference. Now, the first thing I'll do on any quad I buy is get new shoes, at least rears for the trails. If you track a lot it's even more critical.

Yeah my terrain is easier on tire wear, but it's even more noticeable when you need new tires because of traction loss. Religously rotating the HDs, they lasted a very long time. To OP: seriously consider the tires...

slightlybent47
11-06-2009, 09:00 AM
It's the same tire just a better pic.

slightlybent47
11-06-2009, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by strubby
I was agreeing. Those are holeshots, mine were stock Dunlops. To the average person they may look decent, I thought mine were ok. But get new tires and you'll soon realize the difference. Now, the first thing I'll do on any quad I buy is get new shoes, at least rears for the trails. If you track a lot it's even more critical.

Yeah my terrain is easier on tire wear, but it's even more noticeable when you need new tires because of traction loss. Religously rotating the HDs, they lasted a very long time. To OP: seriously consider the tires...

I figured you knew that they were hole shots, that post was for those that may not know. And yes for the average rec rider there fine and can be used. But if you want to go fast "get new tires".

Adding a pipe is ok and a good mod but tires make a big deference. The rear tries being the most important.

TRXRacer1
11-06-2009, 02:19 PM
I figured you knew that they were hole shots, that post was for those that may not know. And yes for the average rec rider there fine and can be used. But if you want to go fast "get new tires".

Adding a pipe is ok and a good mod but tires make a big deference. The rear tries being the most important. Those are junk even for a rec rider. The small pic for some reason looked completely different to me.

slightlybent47
11-06-2009, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by TRXRacer1
Those are junk even for a rec rider. The small pic for some reason looked completely different to me.

Yeah it did to me to so that’s why I put a new pic and added the new tire so you can see the deference.

tywebb3
11-06-2009, 08:12 PM
My stock originals are definately no better than the worn holeshot that was pictured. I am sure my bike would like new tires. My thinking was like someone mentioned earlier, you can have all the engine mods, exhaust, etc. but if doesn't hook up it is useless.

So tires it is. I will be doing mostly trail riding in mid-atlantic and PA wooded trails. What would be the best tire to get? Holeshot HD's?

TRXRacer1
11-06-2009, 08:40 PM
I'm no fan of ITP tires. The compound is good for racing but wears too fast for the average rider. Maxxis 6 ply Razrs or Kenda Klaw XCs are my top rear tire pics for woods.

Hey Look up Gordon mods for the XR400 and do the exhaust drilling if you're going to stick with the stock can for a while. You can get a little more punch from the engine as well as your tires. The jetting in Gordon mods is completely different.

slightlybent47
11-06-2009, 11:45 PM
I agree MX tires wear fast so go with a 4 or 6 ply tire. The tire in the pic is hole shot mxr6, they grip good but don't last long. It's been awhile since I have used trail tires but the maxxes look good and a lot of people like them.
And ITP has the HD witch look good.

katch26
11-07-2009, 08:39 AM
Ill agree with trxracer for the most part on ITPs being soft but the hd's are hard and the gncc have worn excellently for me too. Mostly its just the I razrs that wear like butter. I have the trac stars on my 400 and they seems to be wearing well also, and they are also much lighter than razr2 or hd and are a 6pl radial so they roll pretty smoothly.

tywebb3
11-19-2009, 06:24 PM
Well, I found a deal on a used set of Holeshot HDs that were all but new so I jumped on them. The only thing was they were mounted on black rims which I thought I would like but now that I mounted them up I am not so sure. I attached a pic. What do you guys think of them?

honda400ex2003
11-19-2009, 06:30 PM
i like them black, it would look really sweet with the frame and stuff black. steve

tywebb3
11-19-2009, 06:44 PM
A black frame would be nice but I doubt I get to that until next winter at the earliest. I was thinking a black seat cover might look nice? I don't know why they didn't come stock with a black seat? It would just flow better with the tank cover, hood, and side panels.

slightlybent47
11-19-2009, 06:51 PM
Well how do you like the new sneakers? I’ll bet you feel like your on a new bike.

I’m not real crazy about the black rims though. I wonder what red rims would look like.

The tires look almost new, good job dude.

KISSmyACE
11-19-2009, 06:53 PM
looks good!! next step, a slip on.

i personally like black wheels, that's what i'm ridin on :) bad@$$

honda400ex2003
11-19-2009, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by tywebb3
A black frame would be nice but I doubt I get to that until next winter at the earliest. I was thinking a black seat cover might look nice? I don't know why they didn't come stock with a black seat? It would just flow better with the tank cover, hood, and side panels.

i think some of the years did have a black seat on them if not mistaken. the ones with the black fenders have black seats, you may be able to find one and just bolt it on in place of the red one you have now. I think red would be pretty cool too if something like the arms were red or the frame was red. steve

KISSmyACE
11-19-2009, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
i think some of the years did have a black seat on them if not mistaken. the ones with the black fenders have black seats, you may be able to find one and just bolt it on in place of the red one you have now. I think red would be pretty cool too if something like the arms were red or the frame was red. steve

If you have a staple gun, turning your seat black is simple. Go to Walmart and buy a few sq. yards of the black leather stuff they have in the Fabrics Dept. and staple it on. You're good to go.

http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv338/KISSmyACE/16234_1207604065920_1103220171_3065.jpg

That's what we did to my seat.

Or...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-400EX-Seat-Cover-NEW-20-Colors-400-EX_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1e5934d3d8QQitemZ130 345653208QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

tywebb3
11-19-2009, 07:42 PM
After seeing that picture I definately have to get a black seat cover.

I haven't had a chance to actually try the new tires out yet. I got them mounted up late last night and then tonight when I got home from work it was raining. I'll give them a try this weekend. I know there is going to be a whole lot more bite than the old stock tires I was running.

I will say, the HDs are a lot heavier than the stockers. I couldn't believe the difference. Are the stock tires 2-ply?