PDA

View Full Version : Input on National Option

mkeane
11-03-2009, 07:19 PM
With the hard economic times this is one idea Troy Szymborski came up with to try and get more kids/parents an opportunity to race at the national level. Please read and respond with any other ideas, suggestion, comments. We need to make it known to the promoters that this or a similar format will only help the attendance at the races.

1.) Make it easier for riders to attend the 2010 ITP/ Moose National Championship.
2.) Get more riders to national championship races.
we take the ITP/Moose Championship and split it into 5 sub series called the Northern series and the Southern series with the national champion decided at Loretta Lynn's. This is how it will work.

The Northern Series would be:
1. Walnut IL
2. Delmont PA
3. Millville MN
4. New Berlin NY
5. Buchanan MI
The Southern series would be:
1. Pell City AL
2. Bowling Green KY
3. Danville VA
4. Blountville TN
5.Armaugh PA

The 5 races in each sub-series would be totaled as followes. In the Northern sub-series, 3 of the 5 races must come from the northern series with the remaining 2 races coming from any race in the total series either nort or south. In the Southern sub-series 3 of the 5 races must come from the southern sub-series with the remaining 2 races coming from any race in the total series either north or south.

The champeionship wouold be decided at Loretta Lynn's. Where the race would be counted as 1.5 times the normal value.

Why do we split the series into sub-series? This will allow riders to race as few as 5 races and Loretta Lynn's and still win a national championship.

Why do we need to race 3 races from one sub-series and 2 more from the total series? 3 races from one sub-series evens the playing field, it makes a rider commit to one sub series where they will race against the same riders in most races. The 2 races from the total series allows for flexibility, it lets racers race when they can find the time or the money.

Why count Loretta Lynn's as 1.5 times a normal race? Loretta Lynn's will be the national championship race between the two sub-series. It allows the top 2 or 3 points leaders in the two sub-series a chance to become national champion.

tntauto1127
11-04-2009, 05:22 AM
It looks like a pretty good idea and seems well thought. It enables racers to race closer to home which will save money. It also gives the flexability to race some races in the other series which will allow you to race against the other series competitors to guage your performance against them.

I imagine if someone runs more than 5 races the lowest will be dropped and only points from the top 5 races will count?

bulldogfallon
11-04-2009, 08:54 AM
I think the idea is good, but what if we compromised a little?

Keep the series intact "as is" with the National Champion being decided as it always has been...same drops....same points etc.

In addition to this:

Why not award a regional winner as a separate incentive?

The NFL, NHL, MLB all have regional champions that are something to be proud of?

This may have the best chance of getting the green light since it involves the least change to the historical way of doing things.

Ryko racing
11-04-2009, 11:58 AM
how about 6 races with the same 3 being mandatory then lorettas will decide it.

we need to voice our opinions to the promoters group so they can
take a vote.

bulldogfallon
11-04-2009, 12:17 PM
That is too much change too fast IMO

I feel that my post above allows for protection of the interests of the series/promoter and provides an incentive for the local guys to come out race

Why not a trial run like this to see "IF" the attendance goes up...What if it doesn't? Then the promoters and series really has an issue

We have to put the promoter/series first if we are asking for a change....If we keep up our end of the bargain then our voice will have more influence in the future, but I think we have to prove our point first.

What is the stigma we are chasing here? National Champion Tag?

What would be wrong with Divison I Champion?

Would it be any less FUN or challenging?

Just my 2 cents guys....I am sure there other great ideas but that is my offering to the subject...

Hope something good comes from all this passion we have

Ryko racing
11-04-2009, 12:57 PM
These are just thoughts to help us all out. I think Gary is correct as everything is already set for this year.

We are going to race until we run out of funds if that means 3 races or 10 races so be it.

Lets all have fun, we did not come up with this idea to cause a problem we actually thought it could help.

Lets go to the banquet and have fun.

Logan #34's Dad
11-04-2009, 10:44 PM
mkeane, Unfortunately you will NEVER get enough people to agree to any change. To many things to be tweeked at once. These promoters and the AMA cannot stand us mini quad parents. (Or mini dirt bike parents) Like it or not thats how it is. We complain to much and none of us are ever happy. I'd say we are their biggest draw so they tolerate us.
Anyhow, I like the idea of a split series to save some cash but again we could not make enough people happy to make it work, everyone has an idea and think their point is best. The AMA-ATV leaders need to get togther and figure out how to keep the series alive. If they screw it up........ we go back to local racing.
Gary is on the right track, no big changes at first - they all have to be shown that the draw for their track will be as large as it is now. For most of these tracks this one National is how they pay the bills for the entire year.
I think a series inside the series is a good idea. As you basically posted it but along with the current system to see how it goes. These promoters and track owners need to get the word out locally for a better draw and explain the regional winner thing. As we all know, once you get sucked into the National scene it is hard to get out. LOL

heathmxracing
11-05-2009, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by bulldogfallon
I think the idea is good, but what if we compromised a little?

Keep the series intact "as is" with the National Champion being decided as it always has been...same drops....same points etc.

In addition to this:

Why not award a regional winner as a separate incentive?

The NFL, NHL, MLB all have regional champions that are something to be proud of?

This may have the best chance of getting the green light since it involves the least change to the historical way of doing things.

This is the best ideal yet. keep the series intack for the ones chasing the National title, but let more local racers get involved with regional racing.

I also agree that it would have the greatest chance of getting approved because it requires the least amount of change and could be used as "trial" to see if we can actually draw more people to the races. If the numbers increase as a reslut it would be hard for the promoters to argure aginst a more "regional format" in future years.

Gary... I like the way you think.

Rich243
11-05-2009, 01:42 PM
I agree with Gary that the best chance of sucess is the regional champ idea. It involves the least change for the series and stands to draw people to the series more often.

I would love to let my son run Nationals but there is no way we can make it to enough stops to get in the points so why push it? We intend to hit 1 or 2 next year if possible just so he can get out there. With a regional title possible, families in our situation may find a way to make it to a couple more stops so they can give him a chance at the regional points series.

We look forward to getting to a national stop soon either way. This would just give more incentive to find a way to get to 4 or 5 instead of just the 1 or 2 that we plan on now!

bulldogfallon
11-05-2009, 01:45 PM
The core idea cam from me talking with Gary Rozelle and he has contacted some of the bigsd with this plan....I also have done the same and hope everyone else will be dilligent with the voice.

Ryko racing
11-05-2009, 01:58 PM
I THINK THAT THE REGIONAL SPLIT IS A DECENT COMPROMISE THAT SHOULD HELP DRAW THE RIDERS.