PDA

View Full Version : valve adjustment?

bogan420ex
11-02-2009, 03:55 PM
i have a 2004 420ex and it smokes a lot on acceleration and just a little when ideling i put new valve seats in it and it still smokes it has a loud peck too its burning oil out the exhaust and when you put your hand in front of it you get oil from where its burning it bad. what could be causing this??? does the valves need adjusting if so how do you adjust them?? the people who had it before me said it was bored 20 over but i dont think it is and they did some work theirself and didnt know what they were doing i dont know what it could be so any help would be great thanks.

Randy

rocky_mtn_honda
11-02-2009, 05:05 PM
well randy, welcome to the forum. and first of all if its bored .020 over, that doesnt make it a 420ex...lol anyhow, sounds like your rings are wasted...take that jug outta there, and get a set of calipers and meaure that bore. or take it down to the machine shop, and im sure theyd check it for nothin. report back with measurements, preferably metricand we can get down to business on what size piston is in order...heres a link on the valve adjustment. http://www.atvriders.com/articles/valveadjustment400ex.html
also, in the future use the search feature on the site...its very helpful and has almost any question you need answered, well, answered!

timmy400exfast
11-02-2009, 05:12 PM
yes i hade alot of problems with this my 400ex possibly the rings but you said there is noise comming from the upper end the valves could be off also the exhaust valves are .005 and intakes are .004

bogan420ex
11-02-2009, 05:12 PM
ok thanks i didnt know this is the first one ive had other than a 250ex if the rings are bad would that make it peck too?

timmy400exfast
11-02-2009, 05:16 PM
i dont think so i could be wrong if peck is more like a tick im not really sure what you mean by peck lol check your adjustment

rocky_mtn_honda
11-02-2009, 05:41 PM
these 400ex's are notorious for their noisy valve train...im sure its nothing out of the ordinary...could be a valve adjustment...if it were something more serious, it would definately not be described as a peck, more of a loud tick or knock. which could be anything from pre-detonation, valve slap, cam chain, cam chain tensioner, cam decompresor mechanism...ive found that usually, its not something terminal, and some people on this site will lead you to believe your quads on its last leg! just open it up, get the head off, do some measurments, check out the cylinder wall, piston rings, check the rod play...your diagnosis from the riders on this site, is only as good as your information you can provide us.

timmy400exfast
11-02-2009, 05:48 PM
^^^agreed^^^

bogan420ex
11-02-2009, 07:20 PM
thanks ill check it out and see what i can find i dont know how to describe it, it sounds like it is mainly up around the top with the valves its pretty loud but it quits after it gets warmed up then its just the normal minor sounds which is nothing. ive had this thing apart about three times already and ive not had it a month yet, i first got it and had to set the timing right off the batt and been having these problems ever since ive had it. thanks guys for the help ill adjust the valves and if that dont fix it i know someone who works on them pretty cheap ill have him look at it if he can get the time to look at it. thanks though ill keep youns updated it might get to runnin right..lol

red_rider_069
11-03-2009, 08:33 PM
i dont think it needs a valve adjustment, that doesn't sound to me like it would cause it to burn oil, if anything from improper valve adjustment you would have trouble starting it, you would have low compression.. and the oil it prolly just smoke from exhaust gasket did you replace those? gimi a bit more info and i could prolly do a lot of help..

HADN'T READ THE OTHER PART OF OIL COMING OUT OF EXHAUST, MOSTLIKLY BAD PISTION RINGS, OIL IS SEAPING THREW THE RINGS AND SINCE OIL IS HARDER TO BURN ITS MOSTLY BEING RUSHED OUT THE EXHAUST,, TRY DOING A COMPRESSION TEST IF YOU CAN.. AND THEN LEAK DOWN, IF YOU ARE LOW COMPRESIION PUT A LIL BIT OF OIL THREW THE SPARK PLUG HOLE, THEN TEST, IF YOUR COMPRESSION GOES UP YOU NEED NEW RINGS IF NOT ITS A LEAKY VALVE... I DONT KNOW HOW ELSE OIL COULD GET IN THERE.

Originally posted by bogan420ex
i have a 2004 420ex and it smokes a lot on acceleration and just a little when ideling i put new valve seats in it and it still smokes it has a loud peck too its burning oil out the exhaust and when you put your hand in front of it you get oil from where its burning it bad. what could be causing this??? does the valves need adjusting if so how do you adjust them?? the people who had it before me said it was bored 20 over but i dont think it is and they did some work theirself and didnt know what they were doing i dont know what it could be so any help would be great thanks.

Randy

red_rider_069
11-03-2009, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by rocky_mtn_honda
these 400ex's are notorious for their noisy valve train...im sure its nothing out of the ordinary...could be a valve adjustment...if it were something more serious, it would definately not be described as a peck, more of a loud tick or knock. which could be anything from pre-detonation, valve slap, cam chain, cam chain tensioner, cam decompresor mechanism...ive found that usually, its not something terminal, and some people on this site will lead you to believe your quads on its last leg! just open it up, get the head off, do some measurments, check out the cylinder wall, piston rings, check the rod play...your diagnosis from the riders on this site, is only as good as your information you can provide us. THAT PRETTY MUCH COVERS THE TICK, BUT THE OIL LEAK SOUNDS LIKE LEAKY PISTON RINGS TO ME

bogan420ex
11-04-2009, 06:50 PM
thanks ill check the compresion, about the gasket i dont know for sure but i think the man i got it from put news ones in but he may not have they looked good to me though. ive not had it apart past the valves thats as far as ive went with it so far. i honesly dont know that much about it so far though, so thanks for the advice