PDA

View Full Version : ramp radius help

dwb_style
11-02-2009, 03:33 PM
im looking to build a new ramp over the winter. ive seen diffrent plans on here that have like a foot radius. how do u get the foot radius? thanks

camaromitch
11-09-2009, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by dwb_style
im looking to build a new ramp over the winter. ive seen diffrent plans on here that have like a foot radius. how do u get the foot radius? thanks

1 foot radius? That would only make your ramp a hair over a foot and a half long. Maybe more like a 6 ft radius. The way to think about it is if you are standing at the base of the ramp and the tip of the ramp is at the top of your head the radius would be your height.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk80/iroc_mitch/radius.jpg

dwb_style
11-12-2009, 02:35 PM
ok. the ramp plans i wuz looking at had a 33 foot radius

Jakeyracer
11-21-2009, 10:31 AM
i think this is what you looking for a lil more descriptive but still not perfect on scale size

*OOPS*

*WTF*

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy5/56racer_2009/ramp.jpg

dwb_style
12-02-2009, 01:40 PM
the only problem im having is figureing out how to measure it with a tape to get the right radius. the last ramp i built was a rev 1 and the specs i got give the vertical measurements every foot. the ramp plans i have now dnt give the vertical measures every foot. its 21 foot long, 8 foot tall has a 39 degree final angle with 18" flat at top. has a 33 foot radius from the base to the bottom of the flat 18". building it is no problem jus figuring out how to be able to measure it using a tape measure.

camaromitch
12-10-2009, 08:58 AM
I am sure there is an easy mathematical way to figure it but if you want to make it easy just download Google Sketchup and build the thing with the specs you have and then you can measure the rest of it using the tools on that program.

Or just make the square frame using the measurements you have and then come in and eyeball the ramp.

Rootar
12-10-2009, 05:59 PM
or you all could do more searching/reading and les typing.

but here ill be helpful since your quoting the specs from my ramp plans. find you a nice big concrete slab or shop floor to work on. then mark a 21 foot straight line on the floor (this is the bottom or base), on one end of the line draw a line perpindicular and 8 feet long (this is your upright), now at the top of this line take a large scale protractor and draw a line 18" long that is 51* off the upright's line (90-39=51). now you have your base, upright, and final angle. now from the other end of your base (aka the bottom of the ramp) measure up 33' perpindicular (or 90*) from the base, and drill a hole in the concrete. Now you can either use steel wire or a few 12' 1x2 boards to make you a huge circle tool, you will drill a hole in each end (33' apart of course) and put a big nail or punch or something through in and into your hole in the concrete (so it will pivot from that point), and in the other hole you put a marker and walla you draw from the bottom up to the final angle.

you can then cut your steel and build your sides to match your full size drawing on the ground.

if you cant figure that out you prolly shouldnt be building a ramp.:ermm: