PDA

View Full Version : does anyone here do MMA?

ridered92
11-02-2009, 10:53 AM
just wondering if anyone here does MMA or any kind of martial arts? i do a little bit of boxing and stuff with friends. im thinking about taking karate and tai chi. does anyone here take these?

SmthHonRider99
11-02-2009, 05:26 PM
I've been doing muay thai for a while now.. the gym around here teaches less drills and more technique on how to f* people up. I'ts definitely a blast/stress relief/amazing workout all in one. Go for it.

honduh440
11-02-2009, 11:15 PM
most karate "schools" are just people trying to make a buck. there are not many good quality places. you would have better luck trying to get a business degree in afghanistan

powermadd400ex
11-02-2009, 11:40 PM
well i have been in karate taking chuma quan for about 9 years and im a 2nd degree black belt now.
i was in cont fighting for about a year and then i broke my foot and never got back into it. i got out of shape and could never get as good as i once was.
but i hate the schools that basically give away black belts. im thankful my school doesnt do that.
but if you find the right school, it is very good for self discipline. i cant count the ways getting my black belt helped me in almost every aspect.

i reccomend it to anyone who can find the right school :)

Wood_15
11-03-2009, 07:51 AM
I've been doing boxing and muay thai for about a year now. Regardless of whether you end up fighting or not its a great way to train or work on cardio. There are a couple of mma specific school around my area. I'd do a search to see if there are any in your area. A lot of Jiu Jitsu schools are adopting a non- gi class that is geared towards mma fighters. Generally they will also teach you other basic mma techniques besides just jiu jitsu.

madskrillz2
11-03-2009, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Wood_15
I've been doing boxing and muay thai for about a year now. Regardless of whether you end up fighting or not its a great way to train or work on cardio. There are a couple of mma specific school around my area. I'd do a search to see if there are any in your area. A lot of Jiu Jitsu schools are adopting a non- gi class that is geared towards mma fighters. Generally they will also teach you other basic mma techniques besides just jiu jitsu.

Yeah I've noticed that around here. Non gi classes are probably better all around anyway. A friend of mine took some classes but stopped going because so many posers came in just because they watched UFC fights. He said it started out OK but after UFC blew up it was like the New Years crowd at a gym only after every single UFC payperview.

But in my opinion, I would take either Muay Thai or BJJ. Both if you can. Judo wouldn't be a bad option either. Hah, honestly anything but karate would be a decent choice.

Wood_15
11-03-2009, 01:35 PM
Yeah karate can work but you need to be pretty high up on the chain for it to pay off in the ring (i.e. Lyoto Machida) To be a good complete amateur mma fighter muay thai and bjj are the meat and potatoes it seems. Having a wrestling background gives you a good start to build off of.

dehner47
11-05-2009, 07:47 AM
i took karate for a while when i was in my teens.(about 5-6 yrs) karate is a great way to build basic fighting skills.( punches,kick's knees, disapline) plus it also depends on what kinda karate you take. i too tang soo do and it has def helped transfer over to MMA style fighting. i have also took BJJ (off for 6 months now) for a while also.( about 2yrs) BBJ is a great way to get in shape and to learn how to finish fights on the ground. which 85% of all fights end up on the ground anyway. so combinding BJJ with any form of stand up is a winner. defend standing up. finish on the ground. thats what BBJ teaches you. i have taking about 3 months of MMA class (hence why so much time away from BJJ) but been lazy past few months but i'm heading back soon. but honestly, before you go and take any MMA classes, get some skills other places. like some one said in here, MMA, BJJ, ect all get a flow of posers coming in every now and then. but you will notice the guys who take this game serious cause there the dudes that are there week in and week out. get to know a fewof those guys, and they will keep you dedicated for sure.

no matter what, go join a class somewhere or even at your local gym. try it out and see if you like it. and what style you like. most places offer 0ne month or a few classes for free. hit em up on that offer. you might like it. you might not. all fighting styles are very expensive to learn. so find out what you like 1st before commiting to it full time. good luck in whatever you choose. and remember, learning to fight is about going out and fighting your friends or dudes in the bar. it helps yes. but guys that take this stuff serious, do not condone this bar fighting stuff. so learn it, but only use it to defend yourself or family/friends. disipline is the key to any fighting system. DISIPLINE..

3ddds400ex
11-08-2009, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by madskrillz2
in my opinion, I would take either Muay Thai or BJJ. Both if you can. Judo wouldn't be a bad option either. Hah, honestly anything but karate would be a decent choice.

Great Answer! I think both would be best. My son takes a boxing class And a BJJ class. We have been in a Jiu Jitsu for 7yrs. Now my baby girl wants to try boxing. We'll see.