PDA

View Full Version : Starting the search for a 4 stroke 450

86250rbanshee
11-02-2009, 09:53 AM
Well I have been thinking about it for some time now, and I think I am going to start the search for a 450r, YFZ450 or LTR450. We all konw anyone who ever buys a quad never leaves it stock for long or at least suspension wise. But my question is which would be a better XC type of unit. Working on them isn't a problem we sell quad parts and work on plenty of them here, but the bad part is we always get in the used and abused utitily bikes and never any sport quads. So I have only had about 15 minutes if that on a 450r. I have riden a LTZ400 and was pretty impressed by the weheelies on those. Right now I have a 250r and Banshee so kicking starting isn't a biggy at all, I wouldn't mind a electric start but if there is starting problems with starting a higher compression motor then I'd rather stay with the kicker. It would have to be a 04-07 model money wise and I would most likely throw some new arms and rear linkage and probably either fox floats or custom axis shocks on it. So what are a couple opinions which modded would make a better XC bike?

Ichoptop
11-02-2009, 10:46 AM
I have had 2 450Rs. I have also spent a good deal of time on my friends YZF 450. Niether lack for power. The one thing I didnt like was the YZF feels taller and top heavy. Normally it isnt a big deal if your playing with your friends but after a few hours of hard trail riding I found that I felt more physically abused by the YZF because of its top heaviness. You always have to be on top of it and its harder work.

I am sure you could do suspension work to any quad and make them feel right.

I am an 05 450r guy. I just bought another one on saturday. It is a bone stocker still having good original rubber and pretty much without a scratch. I paid 3200 for it. The 05 is the last year of the no nonsence kickers. No electric start no reverse...just a well built fast machine.

86250rbanshee
11-03-2009, 11:14 AM
Do the newer ones have reverse they don't do they?

pitsrule
11-03-2009, 02:33 PM
No none of the Honda 450s have reverse.

strubby
11-08-2009, 08:06 PM
I know we're in the 450R forum but since you asked about all the bikes I'm familiar with the Z's and LT-R. If you were impressed with the wheelie happy Z, the LT-R has no simularity. It has a much lower center of gravity, longer wheel base and +1 forward arms which make wheelies much more difficult. It wasn't even good on the soft terrian trails around here til I dropped a tooth on the front sprocket and went up to 20" rear HDs. After I did that and the $20 +7hp cherry bomb/debaffle/lid removed deal, I loved the bike. I had to sell it but now that I'm looking for another quad, I'm not looking into the LT-R. It was too wide for some trails and I had to ride the clutch way more than on the Z because it liked to be in the upper RPMs. Bottom line, the LT-R is a badass machine, but I wouldn't suggest it for XC. I'm looking into the Honda for this...

86250rbanshee
11-09-2009, 09:09 AM
Yeah the ability to be able to wheelie has to be there for the trails I ride logs rocks and such. By the looks of it I think I can get a 450r -yfz450 for around 3-4 with a lot of mods already done to to it and thats whay I'm looking for really. Don't get me wrong I love the Banshee and 250r I have both have been super reliable, but I have always wanted a thumper ever since I started riding the trail stuff.

strubby
11-09-2009, 04:15 PM
I'm 6'3 and feel cramped on a YFZ. The Z and LT-R felt much more spacious to me, and I'm hoping the 450R is, as I'm considering buying one. Make sure you get a bike you're comfortable on. Also, if it is trails you may consider the LT-Z, and even the 400EX. A Z with a few bolt ons is pretty torquey and a lot of fun to ride, I'm sure the EX is the same way. Plus, they have reverse if it's important to you. Think about what exactly is important to you and go for it. I'm sure you'll end up happy with any of them.