PDA

View Full Version : Who knows diesel engines?

Jake250ex
11-02-2009, 09:21 AM
My dad is a fabricator, and has been builing rods/drag cars forever. He is about to start a new project, wants to build a 69 Rambler with a cummins or duramax as a drag car. We know about hot rods and small block chevys, what we dont know is diesels.

The turn on to the diesel is that capability of them stock. I know they reach numbers way up there with just a programmer.

We are thinking a 24v Cummins of Duramax (not sure which one)

We want to leave it internally stock, with just exhaust/programmer. We read the shootout of the new 2500hd vs the new Camaro SS and looks like the duramax spanked it up and down in every category, we cant imagine what that setup would do in a stripped down race car.

Im told by a buddy of mine that you can buy a flexplate to put a TH400 behind any popular diesel engine, so thats the route we are gonna take for the tranny so far. Dont worry, itll be built. Im not sure aobut what stall speed or converter we should use for the diesel...?

So, im open for advice. Let me know what to look for, what im gonna be looking at spending and the #'s as far as what I can expect with only external tuning.

I'll post up some pics later of some of his previous project and his current car. Thanks!

400exrider707
11-02-2009, 09:28 AM
The cummins is a very tall motor, makes it harder to stick in low cars. D-max's are very easy to make quick with just a programmer.

Go to www.competitiondiesel.com there are quite a few projects like this already under way. There are two late 60's camaros right now. The 69 camaro with the duramax is very well documented, all sorts of info over there on that...

Also www.destroked.com has a lot of transmission adapter plates for almost any tranny/diesel motor combo.

Nac's22
11-02-2009, 02:23 PM
The Duramax is a monster when you put a programmer, exhaust, and intake on them. If you go that route I suggest that if you want the best of the best go with EFILive. All custom tuning and the tunner can make the tune to suit your needs and such. One thing to keep in mind with the Duramaxs is that there is 5 motors for them available now and a new one comming out next year. If you have your choice get a LBZ motor, it is considered the hot rod of stock diesel engines. I know a lot about Duramaxs because I own one but then again on the other hand Cummins is a strong motor with some of the best reliability you could ever ask for.

BakerRacing40
11-03-2009, 03:22 AM
if i were doing anything with a cummins, i'd use a mechanical injected 12 valve. easy to produce power, no need to spend a ton of money to get all the electronics right.

also keep in mind, hp and torque numbers for what the rambler was built for are no where near what your going to putting out of the diesel engine and and the weight is going to be up there too. you would most likely be better off to scrap the frame and build a full tube chassis or find a shell to use for the build. sounds like a bad ace plan but be prepared to spend some jack by the time you guys get done...