PDA

View Full Version : New '09 DS90X

TrudeauRacing
11-01-2009, 11:24 PM
Hi there

We just picked up our sons DS90X here in Canada Quebec and we have had a few quirks with it.

We dont seem to have the preparation done, was low on brake fluid front and back.
Was missing the gascap breather.
Was missing the kill switch.
And when we put it on the trailer we applied the parking brake , when we arrived home it had eaten a chunk out of the brake handle.

Today sunday i did the pre ride inspection, let the kid drive and after about 15 minutes the belt started smelling burnt quite a lot.

The CVT casing was so hot my sons boots where steaming from the water being heated by the case. I poured some water on the case and it boiled off.

I just hope we havent got a lemon cause we are racing this ride in the spring.

You can view the machine at my sons website on Loop'd its a SponsorHouse site.

http://www.loopd.com/members/jacobtrudeau

Coley'sdad#8
11-02-2009, 07:19 AM
hey man, we race drr's but my son has a ds 90 that he uses for a recreational bike here on the farm and I have to tell you this bike has got probably 2000 plus hours on it and I changed the belt once and tore it down for inspection 3 days ago, this has been the most trouble free cvt I have ever seen. Our race bikes require alot of cvt maintenance but it is understandable with the added horsepower and torque. I keep a digital infared handheld thermometer (the hold and shoot kind) handy at all times. you should be running 150 to 160 max on your hottest days, thats what we have at like the end of august. the can am's are vented pretty well from factory. sounds like you might have an issue with the variator hanging open which keeps the bike in "high" gear all the time

TrudeauRacing
11-06-2009, 05:34 AM
Hello Coley'sDad

And thanks for the insight.

We have an other stumbling block. Aftter reviewing the preparation we have been notified by our dealer that thier has been a recall concerning the kill-switch. that's why we didnt have a switch on the bike. (bikes are now shipped without a kill-switch)

Now our concerns are was it the kill switch that is not adequate or its a design problem with the ride that doesnt permit the added load of a kill switch can provide on an electrical circuit.

we dont want a ride that you cant add a kill switch, in our rules the vehicle has to have a functional kill switch, for the riders security and for the staff's and the public.

We also noticed on the frame that at every welding juction their is surface rust. have any other owners had the same problem ??

We have other machines and they dont have any rust on the welds and this ride is brand new. cant wait to see what response we shall get from Can-Am.

Regards François
Trudeau Racing 4 drivers

Coley'sdad#8
11-06-2009, 06:10 AM
Francois,
The kill switch doesn't add any electrical load to the vehicle. When rider "falls off" tether is pulled and all that does is make a deat short of coil power to ground. The stock switches on most bikes are junk anyway, get a good one from your supplier and then you won't have to worry about it not functioning like it should (pro design makes a good one). Don't know about the rusty weld issue, perhaps a bad tsp (tri sodium phosphate) bath before painting.

FISH ON!
11-06-2009, 07:38 AM
Can-Am should have added an oil cooler by now to that machine. I think Hetrick Racing may have one by now that you can add. Be sure to run synthetic oil in that quad.....it may help save the motor when running hot. We owned one of those when it first came out and I hate to say your learning a hard lesson the rest of us 90X owners had to learn. If your son plans to race, go for the APEX for something ready to go right out of the box. If you like buying peformance parts and have the $$, Both APEX and DRR are the way to go. If you want to stick with a 4-stroke, the Honda is probably the way to go from what I've seen. There are plenty of aftermarket parts for the Honda. The other problem with Can-Am that I found is it can take forever to get parts. It took us 6 months for a new rear shock under warranty. Your next challenge is selling the 90X without taking a beating.

We didn't have the rust issues you were talking about........ sounds like the dealer had it outside for a long time and maybe some quality control problems with the paint job.

Todd

TrudeauRacing
11-06-2009, 07:34 PM
Hi again

Well concerning the electrical load, here is what actually happens.

Your DIS module receives the firing signal via a hall effect sensor, this signal actually triggers a Triac wich in return powers the primary field of the ignition coil (wich is a load)

The firing logic in the DIS module controls the duration of the coil charging time and the actual drop off voltage that is requirerd to invert the primary fiels back to a negative state at this moment when the current drops the secondary side provides a high voltage spark at the spark plug.

A kill switch as per the instructions should be connected to the primary coil " +" and when it is activated grounds this wire. at this point you are creating a short circuit.

If you continue to fire the DIS module with the hall effect sensor still providing a signal to trigger the triac well you are provoking the triac to fire the primary side but it is shorted to ground via the kill switch ( every crank rotation activates the hall effect sensor, their is a lost moment at the exhaust opening in the firing cycle of the engine the other activates the air/fuel at the end of the compression stroke.

Shorting the hall effect signal will prevent the triac from triggering and will prolong the life of your module.

Take a firing diagram (ignition circuit)and have a good look and if you know how electricity works you will see my point.

We traced our problem of our last DNF to a burnt triac in our DIS caused by our kill switch shorting the "+" of our coil.

François Trudeau

PS we race in a stock category no modifications allowed

musky
11-08-2009, 05:36 AM
Like Fish On said good luck. Take the time & read all of the post on here about these rolling turds. I tried hard to like this quad but couldnt make it happen. Ours is still forsale.

TrudeauRacing
11-08-2009, 08:56 AM
Hi Everyone

What are exactly all the concerns ?

My son Jacob will be racing in a STOCK category.

The only thing we can actually do with the machine is make it secure for the rdier , kill-switch, adjust the handles and lever configuration, adjust the nerf bars.

Concerning the engine we can only use the provided adjustments we can't modify any parts or improve over the stock intake and stock exhaust.

But the are major problems with this machine well we would love to here your feed-back.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram ?
Does anyone have a clutch adjustment procedure?

Thanks for the input.

musky
11-08-2009, 09:22 AM
If your not changing the exhaust & cluthes you may be ok. These engines run hot out of the box. Like Fish on said invest in a oil cooler no matter what. As far as the clutch goes check out Hetricks they sell a kit with just the springs. Max. rpm sells the whole cluch & bell. You may also want to take the front number plate off to let more airflow in . The way the double a arms are on the X really resricts air to the engine.

TrudeauRacing
11-08-2009, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the info.

I won't be able to add an oil-cooler cause we have to keep them stock.

What about the suspension the front has way to much spring and not enough dampening.

We change the oil at every race and we race an average of 3 races a day, we keep the same oil for pactice run's but most race locations do not permit you to drive and test drive your ride when the events have started.

kris32775
11-09-2009, 04:46 PM
Hey guys. these can-ams are very good bikes when done properly with the right mods. they make a great gncc quad and a pretty good mx. we run district 6 and we finished 4th for the season.( oh and the 5th place quad was also a can-am.) not to bad for the first season and thats including testing during the year. our quad will keep up with all but heavily modded 2 strokes. so don't give up on them, you just have to talk to the right people. people that have spent time on these. and even with anyones bolt on mods they still need to be massaged slightly.(clutching) in particular. Think tachagawa and pvl ignition thats were the you get most of you power. If anyone has any questions on these quads and keep in mind i'm no expert but have with the help of vpe performance built a pretty quick 4 stroke that will only be faster next year. feel free to call me 267-716-2693. thanks kris.

gorpracing
11-09-2009, 06:37 PM
Dont want to hijack the post but what kind of mods have you done? I also have an Elka rear for this bike for sale.

TrudeauRacing
11-09-2009, 09:52 PM
Hi and thanks for the offer but we are running a stock class.

But you can still PM

Coley'sdad#8
11-10-2009, 05:35 AM
Francois,
Go back and read the post by Fish On one more time. Now remember that you started the thread about the problems you are already having with the bike. Just don't want you to wind up with 8 grand in the bike and then still not be happy with the outcome and worst of all your littleman not being happy with it.
I am just playing devil's advocate here not trying to be mean:D

TrudeauRacing
11-13-2009, 09:59 PM
Hello Coley and Fish On

We are aware of what could be the efforts involved if my son would be doing full fledged racing ..but he's in a stock category.

At our last race their were 2 newcomers with the Can-Ams and seemed to handle well .... last race was in a dried out lake ...packed hard humid sand ...with banks and jumps.

Jacobs ATV came out with a few good dings.

TrudeauRacing
12-10-2009, 06:21 PM
Wow what a ride..... it hasn't even have 5 hours of riding time.

Its in the shop ...piston & rings and a burnt clutch.

We sent it in last Saturday...after only 4 rides...starts to smell like a LEMON.

My darn 2 cents.

FISH ON!
12-10-2009, 06:55 PM
That stinks......... what happened? Did it get hot? Ditch the stock clutch.

TrudeauRacing
12-11-2009, 05:22 AM
Fish On

I believe its the first dealers fault , the fellows in the wharehouse must of had fun with it, and the maximum weight for these machines is 135LBS.

Even the first time Jacob rode it i thought it was getting darn hot, it was a bit wet outside and his left boot was steaming enough for him to complain.

Jacob was only testing it out in our yard.

So my son had 4 rides on this machine and its in the shop ...lovely.

And i am getting horn swaggled ...since the dealer we bought it from is like 150 miles from where we live, and our local dealer initially told us to go back there ... not in my options i told him.

Our local dealer was somewhat pi**ed off that we didnt buy it there ...but his employee told us his last 90X was sold ...it was being displayed at an event actually and was back in the shop a week later. But his salesman wasnt notified.

So we purchased at the nearest stocking dealer ... 150 miles away ... my mistake.

musky
12-11-2009, 09:18 AM
This will more than likely be a onging problem. We had the problem. Watch the splines in your crank. We went through 3 variators, 3 belts,2 cranks & 2 complete rebuilds.Unless you do a quality bebuild by someone other than the dealer I think that your problems will continue if your son rides alot besides racing.I know some of these guys have invested alot of time & $ in these quads but I personly think its a waste of time & money just to say that you have a fast ds 90x. I hate to admitt it but Aex seems to be the way to go.

Coley'sdad#8
12-11-2009, 09:59 AM
Francois,
that stinks, now your gonna have to sink a bunch of money into it just to be able to even get rid of it unless you raise a bunch of hejj and get your dealer / can am to refund.
As I mentioned before check out the drr's or the apex for your son a quality race bike out of the box.
they already have power that the can am will never have, kill switches, nerf bars, suspension that is 400% better than the trash can i mean the can am:rolleyes: , wider stance and so much more. the only thing you will need to change off the get go is the air filter if it doesnt have a cross country style for your needs to keep out water ect. remember buddy, it's your boy that is losing riding time so dont spend precious times fighting with bad dealers over money. good luck

TrudeauRacing
12-13-2009, 07:16 AM
The dealer got the parts quicker than everyone thought, and Jacob's ride is ready. They replaced piston & rings, and the clutch.

But my wife had a terrible accident Friday morning, she got here hand caught in a machine at her work.

She nearly lost some fingers on her left hand, she caught here hand in a ripping machine that cuts up 2x8 into trellis pieces.

Somehow, even thow all the shutdown procedure had been performed correctly the blades where still spinning and it caught here glove. here hand got caught in the blades.

Multiple cut's, multiple open fractures, cut tendons and here pinky nearly got sliced off at the base of here hand.

Her moral is very good but the re-habilitation will be very long, she has many, pins in here hand and she might require another operation to repair tendons and maybe some skin grafting. (she lost a large amount of hand mass from the blades)

We seem to be under a Black Cloud since the last 3 months.

My father died in September, we had a car accident in OCT scrapped our towing van, we had to change our other car after dodging some pothole and breaking a ball-joint the CV shaft splines got stripped on the transmission, and my wifes father died last week and the service was yesterday but we could not attend due the cicumstances and the whoes with the new Can-Am.

Wish us luck for 2010, we might have to postpone our racing season know, my wifes hand is our priority at the moment.

Regards François Trudeau

Coley'sdad#8
12-13-2009, 09:41 AM
Francois,
man it sure doesn't sound like you are having a good time right now but it will get better for sure. Better riding weather in the spring anyway:) keep your head up and yyour chin down;)

TrudeauRacing
12-13-2009, 09:36 PM
Here is photo of Sylvia in the hospital. She has an exceptionally strong character.

http://assets.loopd.com/RFS/2009/12/13/957877cd-babc-440e-b2d9-195e0b8ac2bdl.jpg

Coley'sdad#8
12-14-2009, 07:21 AM
Brother, that sounds like a bad injury to come through and still have full mobility. The technology and the surgeons nowadays are remarkable though and they will make it as good as they can for sure. And we won't tell yo0ur wife you put her picture of her on here at her best:D

Coley'sdad#8
02-22-2010, 05:19 PM
anybody hear from Francois Trudeau???????
just checking up on the dude after his wife had the hand accident, hope all is goin good.

TrudeauRacing
02-23-2010, 05:02 AM
Hello everyone.

Sylvia is doing better since here accident on Dec 11, she had here pins (3) removed last month , she is currently having ergotherapy appointments daily and has a robotic hand to help her open and close here hand to stimulate the healing process.

Her thumb and index finger are doing good but her other fingers are in bad shape ( the blades took 4 different cuts in here hand) and she had a set of blade that went through here knuckles.

The cut in the knuckles is what is giving here lots of pain at the moment, especialy with the ergotherapy.

We havent had much time to practice Jacob on his Can-Am, and with all the additional work with the accident i cant really take care of my service company, (luckily business has been down since we are not having the snow we should have)

I am also preparing her another car is we only had one vehicle since mid-nov, the car has to be ready for thursday of this week.

Nothing new but she does need wheels to go to her appointments. 00 Daewoo Nubira Wagon

I have completed the overhaul of Jacob's Polini X3R but he will only practice riding for this season. we shall concentrate on his ATV season for the time being.

Thks for asking. François