PDA

View Full Version : broke tranny! suggestions???

skyeryder
11-01-2009, 05:53 PM
Well we've broke our second stock tranny, he's running a 70 a/c cooled. he only weighs 45lbs, this time I might have to take part of the blame the chain looked alittle loose so it was probably getting some extra shock load anyways, before I throw away more money what do you more experienced mechanics... recommend doing.... I think he's gonna stick with mx so should I throw the high speed gears in it? what about a slipper sprocket? I assume it works kinda how it sounds.... Any help is appreciated

rebuiltoz
11-01-2009, 07:25 PM
my son broke 3 sets of gears this year. he kept hitting the throttle before he landed. went with the slipper sprocket and havent had a problem since. kinda hard to get the young ones to understand off the gas in the air.

11-02-2009, 04:26 AM
slipper clutch don't have to worry when it might come loose like the sprocket we got em for 350

camsdad
11-02-2009, 07:00 AM
at 350.00 slipper clutch is a no brainer.....now my question on the slipper clutch,the gaskets are a pain so why hasnt anyone had a .060 aluminum spacer laser cut to take the place of the cvt gasket?

11-02-2009, 07:16 AM
i don't even run the gaskets we remove our cover every race and clean it

bulldogfallon
11-02-2009, 08:31 AM
I think he was referring to the clearance issue which with most slipper clutches require more than 1...I believe Hetrick slipper clutch uses 3 gaskets.

$350 sounds too good to be true....I may have to try one out to see :)

With the other shops selling them for $650 to $700 it makes me think what the difference could be..

I don't think those shops are making $350 profit...maybe recouping R&D money??

What have you seen between your model and theirs?

FYI...I believe all the slipper clutches out now are made for the larger clutch?

We run the smaller clutches so it won't work for us, but we do stock the larger Dr. Pulley Hit Clutch for those that want the slipper clutch and still use the Hit Clutch.

I think we have 3 to 4 left?

bulldogfallon
11-02-2009, 08:32 AM
We run the DRR slipper sprocket on all of our full races quads with great success $125 so it budget is an issue then this may help you save future breakages

11-02-2009, 09:24 AM
thiers more than 350 profit on a 700 dollar clutch i need to eat also at selling them for 350 mine uses strong material than others and i haven't even rubbed my bell on the cover without the gasket

CatHR
11-02-2009, 11:10 AM
The $650 slipper clutch is a complete rear clutch assembly. Specifically built as one complete assembly. Not just a hand full of pieces you through on your stock clutch assembly.

I was just looking at West Coast site. Did you know that a bone stock Apex rear clutch assembly complete is about $380. So, for argument sake, lets say they start with this rear assembly. Then they make some more custom parts, to add to this type clutch. Pay U.S. macine shop rates(Not currently made in Taiwan) When its all said and done with, I can see how these slipper clutches can get into this price range.

I know their are companies out their just selling the pieces to convert a stock assembly into a slipper. The thing I don't like about that is that not all rear clutch assemblies are the same. I've seen slight differences from one rear clutch to the next even on the same year and brand of bike. How can you expect a consistant result when you don't start with consistant parts?

camsdad
11-02-2009, 11:17 AM
the dc slipper is definitely just a bell and discs,etc not a complete clutch..the hetrick includes a stock drr rear pulley with a koso adj clutch.i have used both with great success only issue was the multiple gaskets.....chris id be int in trying one of yours if you dont have to use gaskets..will it clear on the 70drr w/no gasket?does your clutch use the same lt disc that the others use.

skyeryder
11-02-2009, 11:55 AM
Alright so slipper clutch sounds like the way to go.... BUT with the economy getting ready to go the other way again(I work in the steel industry) sounds like I might just go for a slipper sprocket for now...with all new gears, bearings, etc...

bmxican345
11-02-2009, 05:37 PM
Go with the wiley mods slipper it is the best one out there and you will not have any truble with it.It is as good as any slipper clutch.call paul at 6093873060

ecmini1
11-02-2009, 06:53 PM
Im with Gary, We also use the DRR sliper on our modded bikes from 50cc to 106cc and havent had an issue since.
The other option is the bushing mod with the sprocket support that we use to use with great success.

Bottom line you need to do somthing or you will continue to break transmissions.