PDA

View Full Version : gncc coen/earley

honda215
11-01-2009, 04:32 PM
coen definately ran the 150 and earley ran the 125 supposedly????

greenmachine70
11-01-2009, 05:30 PM
can you tell us a little more about this?
When & where? What were the results and did you see the machines first hand up close? Your impression of the power in comparison to the competitors?

honda215
11-02-2009, 07:44 AM
go to gnccracing.com and click on results and you can look at laptimes and etc. My opinion is still needs work, watered out alot, a-arms, broke alot, swingarm broke alot.....lots of work to do still. sounds like a beast running though just not depended for racing yet.

greenmachine70
11-02-2009, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by honda215
go to gnccracing.com and click on results and you can look at laptimes and etc. My opinion is still needs work, watered out alot, a-arms, broke alot, swingarm broke alot.....lots of work to do still. sounds like a beast running though just not depended for racing yet.
Are you saying it got waterlogged and the a-arms and swingarm are breaking alot????

Pitster, what say you? The quad has been "in testing for a year" there should be some answers or solutions by now.

The new MX season is upon us here in Florida and I dont wanna make a mistake. Whats going on here? I suspect MX would be alot harder on these parts than GNCC, but I may be wrong.

Are these boys hitting trees on the quad in tight trails, I mean it is 45" wide.

T@AFP
11-03-2009, 09:17 AM
The Pitster is a good base quad. If you're expecting to take this bike out (STOCK) on a MX track or woods and run the snot out of it without complications.....you're gonna be dissapointed.

Like any other PRODUCTION 4 wheeled machine out there is going to need HD RACER PARTS.
The KTM 450 seems to be the only quad in stock form that is really holding up to some sort of abuse. But then again they cost 12k. But they still break.

I think the A arms, swing arm and stem need attention.

Again, as a stock, IMPORTED machine it's a worthy bike.
But it will need some aftermarket parts to hold up and be reliable/compeditive.

I think if you had one and put some TLC into it you'd be pleased.

Just my opinion.

honda215
11-03-2009, 10:20 AM
ditto what he said...i've seen them in action and they have tons of potential but not out of the box!!!

greenmachine70
11-03-2009, 04:34 PM
My sons 3yr old DRR has never broken an a-arm, swinger or stem and he is hitting jumps as hard as anyone.
I also understand that the "HD RACER PARTS" you say need replaced to race this quad are the same parts you make a living off of.
I see Apex's and DRR's racing out of the box all the time. If you doubt me, come to Central FL. and watch the kids running the stock appearing class. The frames, arms, stems and swingers are all stock and they are clearing doubles every night out.
This is disappointing.
I really want one of these, but these reports are scaring me.

greenmachine70
11-03-2009, 04:36 PM
The pics of Levi Coens Pitster have red a-arms on it.
Are these factory but painted red or are they aftermarket?

camsdad
11-03-2009, 05:13 PM
green machine you must have a magic drr,i have welded on the apex as early as the 1st race day,the 909 at dade city is on his 2nd frame this yr ,1st one had been welded on so many times it had to be replaced.the 133 weighs 45lbs soaking wet he broke 2 stock axles on a thursday nite practice 2 weeks ago,his long trave apex swinger fell completely out of the quad on the 2nd race day.ALL mini quads have issues......

greenmachine70
11-03-2009, 05:27 PM
I dont know what to tell you, the only break on ours is the frame under the seat where they all break. Those are the only gussets we have. He is 85lbs and clears the double at bartow all the time and he even tripled it once. I guess we are just lucky.
If I have to add arms, stem and swinger to race this quad then I am disappointed.
Ours is the first run late 2006 air cooled DRX with the short round swinger and the 41" wide a-arms.
When they went to the longer round swinger they bent but didnt break.

Ride1Rob
11-03-2009, 08:20 PM
Steve, the track at Bartow is in no way a comparison in terms of how aggressive the jumps are in Dade City. Mini's don't even get close to getting the air they get at Bartow like I saw at DC this past weekend. That's why Colbs bike has held up the way it has. Those jumps that you're calling triples or doubles are really small at Bartow and if you case them it's no big deal.

I have to agree that any quad that is MXed will need modifications or you'll be looking for trouble whether it's a 450 or mini. Frames, swingers, arms, rims, stems, etc...

musky
11-04-2009, 04:31 AM
If its true that they watered out alot that is the most concerning to me. I think that I may call the Earlys' & get their opinion they only live about 25 miles from me & we have some muyual friends.

greenmachine70
11-04-2009, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by musky
If its true that they watered out alot that is the most concerning to me. I think that I may call the Earlys' & get their opinion they only live about 25 miles from me & we have some muyual friends.
let us know what you find out

Ride1Rob
11-04-2009, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by greenmachine70
let us know what you find out

As far as the waterlogged goes I can tell you the answer to that... They won't run lol. If I clean Jams bike without covering the airfilter it runs like pure crap. I'm guessing it's the same way on the pitster motor. But that's with direct water being sprayed on the filter for a small amount of time. However he has rode his bike in the rain with no issues. But once he rode through standing water the bike died on him. Myself, I won't let Jam race at any rate if the track is under water. I said a few weeks ago these lil motors are real finnicky to change. A certain amount of water vapor into the intake will definitley hurt it's performance.

camsdad
11-04-2009, 07:26 AM
bartow is mostly sand/soft dirt.....id say if you plan on racing only at bartow you will never have an issue breaking anything,as the soft terrain soaks up alot of the harsh impact...

greenmachine70
11-04-2009, 03:22 PM
water stinks for any open air filter engine.
I want to know more about these "breaks" in the a-arms, stem and swinger.
That is what I would love to hear details about. Just saying they break is too general. Are they breaking from fast trail riding or are they breaking due to catching a root or tree, maybe a big jump that was cased????
These are valid questions to statements made in this thread.
as for racing, we will always catch a race here and there at Bartow, but this was my sons first ever year racing and we didnt want to throw him to the sharks yet. now his confidence is up and his skills are honed. We will be in Dade City next season and look forward to it.

musky
11-04-2009, 04:00 PM
From what I have read on here & on Pitsters site these quads are not open filter. They have a airbox, maybe a poor design I dont know, but I will try to find out. As for the a-arms I know that Early ran the prototype & the a-arms have been changed. You can look back in earlier post & see that. Pitster also stated in a previous post that the swing arm has been changed because Early & Coen had troubles.

camsdad
11-04-2009, 05:17 PM
if you plan on running dade city and want to run stock appearing youd better stick with and apex or drr...if we allow the pitster in the 100cc stock appearing class it would be limited to 125cc......

greenmachine70
11-04-2009, 05:53 PM
yep we know, thats why we will most likely keep the drr.
Are you gonna allow the 125 manual motor in the 0-100 stock app.?

Ride1Rob
11-04-2009, 06:08 PM
Think that's what he meant by you getting a 125 Pitster to stay in the stock app. class. If the stock Typhoon suspension wasn't so horrible that would be something I'd consider as well. That class level is more Jams skill level right now. I'll see how he progresses the next two races but I like the idea of him racing against these faster kids. It'll really bring the best out in him so more than likely I'll keep him in mod.

camsdad
11-05-2009, 11:24 AM
all i can say for certain is....the typhoon has been allowed to race in stock for in the 100 class as the trx90....i dont think the manual clutch will make that big of a difference.as stated before,whenever something new comes out and theres only one or two around the majority(drr and apex)has the upper hand.if you buy a pitster we will gladly take a look and place you where you need to be(as fair as possible for everyone involved)if you feel this is unfair then dont buy something that is so different from everyone else,we try to be fair for everyone not just one or two....good luck with whatever you choose....

greenmachine70
11-05-2009, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by camsdad
all i can say for certain is....the typhoon has been allowed to race in stock for in the 100 class as the trx90....i dont think the manual clutch will make that big of a difference.as stated before,whenever something new comes out and theres only one or two around the majority(drr and apex)has the upper hand.if you buy a pitster we will gladly take a look and place you where you need to be(as fair as possible for everyone involved)if you feel this is unfair then dont buy something that is so different from everyone else,we try to be fair for everyone not just one or two....good luck with whatever you choose....
If anything I have said came across offensive to you guys, it was not intended. I know the classes are fair at Dade, i have been there numerous times and I am friends with half of the stock appearing class families. I plan to be there on the 14th as well and Rob can introduce us. I want to move my son into a manual type quad and dont want to make a mistake financially. I have a drr that can run with any in the stock app class.
I was very happy when Rob called me that night and said you all would let the FXR150 run in the mini mod class.
I would like to see in person the 150 against the mods first though. We have raced against Jordan at Bartow and his quad is fast but he makes it faster!
I feel that if the 150 can run with the mod 2 strokes then I will invest in it, the quad looks great in action.
Hope to meet you guys on the 14th.

camsdad
11-06-2009, 10:40 AM
no offense taken....i personally feel from my experience that with out spending a ton of money on the fxr 150 it will not compete with the cvt mods...i can tell you this,we used to have a 0-150 shifter class at dade city and we would be on the track with the cvt mods,on the holeshot the cvt mods would beat our stroked cr85...i have pondered building a cvt4stroke just because of the many aftermarket parts available for the gy6 base engine.jeffrey rastrelli rode at dade city a couple years ago with his trx125 kitaco/direct drive and didnt fare too well.jordan gibson is a great rider and a very well mannered kid,im glad they decided to race with us this season...if you are just looking for a shifter i have a very nice 90 mod for sale.......

Ride1Rob
11-06-2009, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by greenmachine70
I was very happy when Rob called me that night and said you all would let the FXR150 run in the mini mod class.

I don't quite remember saying they would let the "FXR" run in the mod class. If I did then I mis quoted Tracy and I apologize to you and to him. I do remember saying they were going to let Jam run that class with his setup and the FXR powerplant is basically the same. There's one thing that needs to be taken into account and that is the size of the Pitster. If the bike itself is the size of a Blaster I'm sure that'll be another issue as well because it wouldn't be considered a "Mini". May be wrong on that but that's what I assume. But you know what they say about Assume lol. Tracy will have to answer that himself.

greenmachine70
11-06-2009, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Ride1Rob
I don't quite remember saying they would let the "FXR" run in the mod class. If I did then I mis quoted Tracy and I apologize to you and to him. I do remember saying they were going to let Jam run that class with his setup and the FXR powerplant is basically the same. There's one thing that needs to be taken into account and that is the size of the Pitster. If the bike itself is the size of a Blaster I'm sure that'll be another issue as well because it wouldn't be considered a "Mini". May be wrong on that but that's what I assume. But you know what they say about Assume lol. Tracy will have to answer that himself.
I stand corrected, you did say they would let your 150 run in mod and if you put the 125 back in it could run in stock app.
The FXR150 only weighs 244lbs and the measurements are nearly identical to an APex except stock it is 1" wider. The apex weighs 240lbs.
The blaster weighs 324lbs and is 8" longer
Rappy 250 weighs 330lbs and is 4" longer
This is clearly still a mini quad. I wish someone would bring one to the track, like one of the new dealers in Florida....hint hint
If you guys really think the mini mod cvt's will dominate this quad, then why not try it in stock form in the "stock" appearing 100 class?
Just wondering.
It is hard for me to understand that a 200cc 2stroke races 300cc 4strokes but only 50cc in minis makes it not allowable.
camsdad, check pms
I do appreciate your input on this post as you have clarified everything so far for me.
Hope to meet yall on the 14th

levi #3
04-12-2010, 05:15 PM
you goons dont realy have a clue what your talking about the pitster does run good and handles very good with the basic extras added and if it is well maintained. it is about as quick as a apex or drr and stays together a lot better if you have a rider.

mmsoup
07-08-2010, 07:22 PM
There you have it, straight from Mr. Coen's mouth (Keyboard) Only thing is Levi, Wesley was killing you guys on the 2FAST quad at Snowshoe until he smoked a belt, and I believe the Coen Express derailed that day as well.
Levi is tough on the Pitster and he's running the 125 only marginally modified. It has really held together well this year aside from Snowshoe and should be a good investment to a racers family. (They understand the maintenance requirements to race) We have 6 or 7 other kids showing up with Pitsters now as well and they are definitely making an impact.
Kira is running a strong Apex and Levi still outruns her (Rider ability) She broke at Snowshoe as well but ran 6th overall at PA and Millfield Levi was well out in front of her
Takes a Malossi or 2FAST 86cc to take 'em down and you need the rider to do it as well where Levi is concerned.
Hope that helps

Raged66
07-09-2010, 05:42 PM
I know we love our pitster. Handles great and so far the only problems we have is the chain rollers getting destroyed extremely fast.