PDA

View Full Version : powdercoating axle?

rollie
11-01-2009, 01:23 PM
Anybody ever try this? the chrome starts to rust after a while and i thought it would be a cool idea

spanky101
11-01-2009, 01:58 PM
Ive seen some people wrap electrical tape around the axle to keep it looking nicer longer, maybe just do yours so it doesnt rust worse then it has, if its already started

rollie
11-01-2009, 02:31 PM
naw that sounds pretty hack, haha id rather just get a new axle

RideRaceLive93
11-01-2009, 03:14 PM
ive seen it done before and frome what i heard it hold up pretty well

11-01-2009, 04:24 PM
I've seen it done before and it looks like crap... I've also seen the electrical tape thing and it looks beat. If your going to do anything I would PC it grey or get it chromed again its not crazy amount of money.

racerx573
11-01-2009, 06:59 PM
Brillo/SOS pads always kept mine looking new. If you get a new axle because yours chrome is chipping/peeling and it's starting to rust then I don't know what to tell ya. That's like buying a new frame because your powdercoat rubbed off from your boot, or buying new riding gear because it got dirty the first time you wore it, lol.

rollie
11-01-2009, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by racerx573
Brillo/SOS pads always kept mine looking new. If you get a new axle because yours chrome is chipping/peeling and it's starting to rust then I don't know what to tell ya. That's like buying a new frame because your powdercoat rubbed off from your boot, or buying new riding gear because it got dirty the first time you wore it, lol.

haha i know, my sprocket hub is loose so i need to replace that but i figured while the bike is apart this winter it might be a cool thing to do.

racerx573
11-01-2009, 07:11 PM
I think a gold powdercoat would look pretty sick, or even sandblast it, polish it, clear coat it...

Or some wicked color would be pretty sweet, but can't go wrong w/ black though.

I would just make sure you don't powder the inside of it where it meets the bearings.

JETMX99
11-02-2009, 09:33 PM
Doesnt powdercoating it require it to be heated up excessively.
This will change the tensil strength of the axle, effecting the ability to bend instead of snap.
I know that powdercoating springs on suspension seriously jacks up the tensil strength.
Just something to consider.
jt

Pappy
11-02-2009, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by JETMX99
Doesnt powdercoating it require it to be heated up excessively.
This will change the tensil strength of the axle, effecting the ability to bend instead of snap.
I know that powdercoating springs on suspension seriously jacks up the tensil strength.
Just something to consider.
jt

Incorrect, the curing parameters with pc will not effect the tensil strength one bit

problem with axles is most of them have the cheapest chrome coating you could imagine. they rust quick and if you run in an abrasive enviroment (rollie=sand) it will occur even faster. The tracks of the NE are deep rutted and its like running in sandpaper.

Think of what pc will look like in that enviroment after youve seen how fast it can erode chrome. get it rechromed or ebay it and put a new one in its place