PDA

View Full Version : No Spark?

55stone
11-01-2009, 09:43 AM
hey guys i bought a 01 400ex that was blown up and the guy had started to tear into the motor.. i rebuilt it got it all back together and it cranks great great compression and so on but no spark to the plug. tried new plug checked the ground wire on the igintion. still nothing.. i pretty much took the whole wiring harrnes out in one piece so nothing should be plug in wrong but no garentee.. the only thing i changed that would do anything electrical was i put a sparks key in it. it has stock exhuast no aftermarket cdi, 10:1 weisco piston, new head valves so on. but nothing major and nothing that should mess with the electrical..since it ran fine when i was blown up idk what would have changed on the electrical while it was sitting getting rebuilt... so any ideas plz let me know

thanks stone

rocky_mtn_honda
11-01-2009, 11:18 AM
check to make sure your run switch is in the middle, and its doing its job properly...it could be cutting your spark...check your plug wire for resistance, and your coil for output? the wiring is kinda hard to goof up unless someone has hacked into it with different color wiring, cause its all color coded...you have the manual and wiring diagram?

55stone
11-01-2009, 11:35 AM
ya i have the manual...and i how do i check the out put one those peices. and also could it have anything to do with the sparks key... like if its in wrong or something...idk...just kind of lost here..i can do anything mechanical but the electrical side just throws me for a loop

rocky_mtn_honda
11-01-2009, 11:40 AM
i hear ya...electrical sucks...but the good thing about it, is its predictable. easy to diagnose with the right tools. let me do a little research and ill get back to ya on what the resistance of the plug wire is supposed to be...and how to test the coil. unless someone else knows offhand and can jump in, im running to best buy real quick to help the brother in law pick his new lcd tv, so ill read up on it for ya when i get back, if no one else has jumped in.
i hope you got a multimeter?

EDIT: read up on section 16...the ignition system
has all the troubleshooting info you need, and im sure you didnt goof up the sparks installation...as long as you held it to the left when tightening the flywheel bolt, and you put the key in with the red part facing the right direction...its pretty straight forward, and wouldn't make your spark disappear.

55stone
11-01-2009, 11:44 AM
i dont but i can get one or get my hands on one..anything so i just dont have to start buying new parts just guessing what is wrong.. i think my neighbor has one i can use but idk..i will get if nothing else..need to have one anyways