PDA

View Full Version : hybrid xtreme

pawdaddy
11-01-2009, 09:28 AM
Any one ever build a typhoon with a CR 80 or KX 65 motor in it? or would the lifan 160 motor be better?

Ride1Rob
11-01-2009, 09:32 AM
We finally had the opportunity to race against nationally modded Drr/Apex motors yesterday at Dade City here in Florida. My sons Lifan 150 was 3rd off the gate in the 2nd moto until he mis shift into 3rd gear. He went from 3rd to about 8th in the blink of an eye lol. Stay with the Lifan you won't be sorry. Top speed near the same but wayyy more grunt out of the corners which is very noticeable.

hanzito
11-02-2009, 07:01 PM
i say stick with the four stroke pitbike engines. bolt in no mods needed. and like i have done 20 plus horse range easily achievable. i run the yx 160 with the v2 head and a big bore kit. and it flat stomps on the hetrick sponsord drr 90 that was running around here. and the drr is no slouch. but the sound and the out of the hole grunt are second to none. now granted the displacement of my sons engine is 177. vs the unknown of hte drr. but i know my sons has pulled some of the stroker eton motors in the the 100 + cc range. but i do believe it is cheaper to make the 2 stroke fast. i have around 1100 into my sons motor. but i went this route because i wanted him on a shifter motor.

Ride1Rob
11-02-2009, 08:11 PM
You can run these 150's and 160's stock and they are right on par with built 2 strokes. Jam had the chance to run against some national 110 2strokes this weekend from what I was told. He was 3rd out of the gate until he mis shift into 3rd. There's really no need for the extra ponies from what I have gathered.

pawdaddy
11-04-2009, 09:07 PM
thanks for the info. think i'll stay with the four stroke .

snowfighter
11-14-2009, 06:06 PM
we put a cr85 in ours its a neat piece, exhaust was the biggest pain in the arse. i had the motor and the roller just had to do it

pawdaddy
11-14-2009, 07:11 PM
How hard was it to put that CR motor in ? Did you have modify the frame ?

snowfighter
11-14-2009, 08:17 PM
made a craddle for motor, had to move one front right frame post to get exhaust to fit. with the craddle it is easy to take out and put back in ill get picks up someday.

i would recomend taking your build to someone and having a custom exhaust built becuase i think we did to much fab on the fmf and killed some hp on bottom "i know cr has no bottom " but on the top end its wicked great for flat track not sure id run to many mx races on it though

Ride1Rob
11-14-2009, 09:36 PM
***Update***

We ran again tonite at Dade City and I'm thinking I was wrong as for modding the thumpers to keep up with nicely built DRR's and Apex's. Jam was in the back of the pack off of the gate in both moto's. But I did put him on the outside in the gate because I really didn't want him to interfere with the kids running for points championship. He did however accelerate with the bikes next to him but because he was on the outside the had the corner position on him. I also told him if it were close to back out anyway because I didn't want him getting tangled and getting shell shock in only his 2nd race with these National riders. We'll probably expirement with his bigvalve head motor next and see how much he gains performance wise and see if we can get closer on some holeshots.