PDA

View Full Version : Youth Helmet Sizing Question

tywebb3
11-01-2009, 08:58 AM
My 5 year old daughters head is measuring in at 21.5" which puts her right on the each of a Youth L/XL helmet or an Adult Small. I am just worried that the shell of the adult helmet is going to be to big and bulky. What do you think? I am looking at a MSR helmet on Rocky Mountain right now and the Youth large says it is for 20 - 20.5" and the adult small is for 21 1/2" - 21 7/8".

wvspeedfreak
11-01-2009, 06:34 PM
In my experience,helmet sizes vary somewhat from brand to brand even in the same listed size.If you can,I would take her to a shop where she can try a few different ones on.

stuntin andy
11-02-2009, 11:50 AM
ya that's the best way

01 400EXer
11-03-2009, 12:21 PM
I would suggest buying one from the local dealer or a dealer you can trust if there is one close by. This way she can try it on. I know a better deal can be had online, BUT it is for the safety of your child to have one that fits proper as well as have room to grow. When I finally took my son (5 years old), I realized the difference of how each helmet fits even if it is the same brand but different style.

When it came down to it I chose the one that was snug but had a little wobble room. I also looked at it this way as long as the helmet does not get dropped or he crashes and hit the helmet, my daughter may be able to use it.

My son turned 5 in March and I was able to find a good deal on a 2008 CRF 50 in July. He rides at least 3 times a week for 30 minutes to an hour each ride and in my mind the helmet has already had enough use to justify the cost.

cosinostra
11-03-2009, 07:42 PM
I bought a small adult for my son. It fit perfect but it was huge. Had to send it back and get a different brand. I think it was a ONE helmet. Ended up with a Troy Lee. Shell of the helmet is symetrical with the inside.

Quad18star
11-03-2009, 09:26 PM
I have worked retail in this industry for years ... here's my suggestion.

First off , never buy a helmet without first trying it on. An experience shop should be able to give you all the right details about a proper fitting helmet .. if not let me know and I'll explain it to you.

Secondly .. being 5 years old .. I would NOT recommend going into an adult helmet . Adult helmets are heavier than youths , so that puts a lot of strain on a childs neck. You could actually do more damage by putting on an adult size helmet on a child than having a youth helmet.

Even if she outgrows the helmet in a year, you're still comming out ahead. You can't put a price on your ( or your child's) brain.