PDA

View Full Version : 06 Outlaw 500 died

06IRS
11-01-2009, 05:41 AM
Any ideas on what this could be will be greatly appreciated.

I was riding yesterday for the first time in about a month. I rode for about 40 min no problems. I was coming up out of a sand pit and it backfired. It started running rough and after a few minutes is was backfiring every 1-2 min but it was running. I started home slowly and it was running rough but moving along. I am thinking there is something in the carb and I will do a carb cleaning and should be OK.

I am almost home and I slow down to go through some fairly deep water. It stalls and then will not start. I get nothing form the starter, no green neutral light but the fan is running and runs for a while until it cools off then the fan shuts off. Now when I turn the key on a get a click every 20 seconds or so but nothing from the starter or any lights.

With the dead lights I am now confused, I can't see how the backfiring lead to this.

I am going to check fuses to see if something blew while it was running rough.

I have not tackled this yet. Does anyone have any advice on what to look at first?

sleddog66
11-01-2009, 07:10 AM
I think I saw a post on this very thing with the fugi engine. A blow fuse if I remember correctly, but it was in a weird spot....someone will remember and chime in. Definatly sounds like a loss of current/voltage thing.

Outlaw 50
11-13-2009, 04:14 AM
Trace all the wiring harness and look for any shorts in it......pay particular attention to the wiring for the rear brake light where it runs close to the exhaust.

06IRS
11-14-2009, 08:13 AM
Thanks for the advice, it was a short in the rear tail light. Fixed the short and everything is working now.