PDA

View Full Version : reuse new head gasket?

togup
10-31-2009, 02:06 PM
i was rebuilding a ex and marked the wrong end of piston fired it off and realized i had to turn the piston 180. I am wondering if the head gasket(cometic 3 layer)can be reused or is it a one time thing. When I say used I mean less than 15 seconds of run time.

gt400ex
10-31-2009, 02:37 PM
If your hard pressed for money you can try if but more then likely it will leak, But a new one would be the way to go.

rocky_mtn_honda
10-31-2009, 03:04 PM
so are you saying the piston is in backwards? the exhaust arrow isnt facing the exhaust side of the engine? if so, i'd say you run a good chance of having some bent valves or dings in your piston...i wouldnt reuse that gasket...its a metal crush style, and im sure once you tighten down the head bolts, it needs replaced once taken apart
just my .02

togup
10-31-2009, 06:43 PM
[
so are you saying the piston is in backwards? the exhaust arrow isnt facing the exhaust side of the engine? if so, i'd say you run a good chance of having some bent valves or dings in your piston...i wouldnt reuse that gasket...its a metal crush style, and im sure once you tighten down the head bolts, it needs replaced once taken apart
just my .02 [/QUOTE] correct but it is a CP piston it doesnt have an arrow you just have to be paying attention which way it is installed the intake valves are bigger than exhaust.I just didnt want to buy a whole kit when I just need a head gasket ill see if cometic sells just the gasket i need

speedfreek
10-31-2009, 07:05 PM
I have re-used head and base gaskets for years! Not because I cannot afford them, just because if they leaked it's no problem for me to take one apart. I can do this fairly fast.

I'd deffinately say re-use it for the little amount of time that you have on it. I'd be willing to bet money it's ok.

I spray wd-40 on my base gaskets so they don't tear when I take them apart so I can re-use them.

togup
10-31-2009, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by speedfreek
I have re-used head and base gaskets for years! Not because I cannot afford them, just because if they leaked it's no problem for me to take one apart. I can do this fairly fast.

I'd deffinately say re-use it for the little amount of time that you have on it. I'd be willing to bet money it's ok.

I spray wd-40 on my base gaskets so they don't tear when I take them apart so I can re-use them.

good point it takes me longer to get the plastics off!!

TRXRacer1
10-31-2009, 09:44 PM
On my personal machine I'd reuse it with a thin layer of coppercoat. On a customers, I'd get a new gasket. You should be fine but there's a tiny 1% chance it could leak.