PDA

View Full Version : knocking?

killer400ex
10-31-2009, 01:08 PM
im not happy at the moment, i rebuilt my ex last winter and just finished the rest of the rebuild this august, its been running fine other than some stupid jetting problems ive been having due to the extreme weather we get in the north country, but the other day me and a few friends went riding and while on our trip i switched off with a friend of mine, let him ride my ex and i rode his cr250, we switched off for about 30 min. and went back to his house, well when we got back i hopped back onto my ex and started riding, immediately i noticed a hard ticking noise that would only happen when i got on the throttle or when the engine was under alot of load, it was almost like someone was tapping the top end with a hammer, but ive always herd that knock is more of a backfire sound, it has a slight loss in power but nothing to noticeable, i was running some pump 93 with a bit of octane boost, so i figure about 98, my question is how i would know if it was knocking or if it was a valve problem or something, it has only made this noise when i run low on gas and was about to stall, it is possible that it was running a bit rich because i had it tuned for cold weather that we have been having (around 30) and it was a 60 degree day, i also noticed that my motor was extremely hot, every part of the crank case was extremely hot to the touch, havnt rode it since but just looking for some input because i am selling it soon and really dont want this problem while im trying to sell it

rocky_mtn_honda
10-31-2009, 01:28 PM
pull the valve cover and check everything real well...mine was just jacked up, and i took the valve cover off only to find my cam gear allen screws were loose making the cam buck around in there, and it was making a very loud ticking noise...almost like the rocker arms were tapping the inside of the valve adjustment caps

TRXRacer1
10-31-2009, 05:18 PM
Dude you can't rely on octane boost, the stuff is junk.

You are describing detonation to a perfect tee. what's your jetting? You sound lean to me. Get some real fuel too.

killer400ex
11-01-2009, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by TRXRacer1
Dude you can't rely on octane boost, the stuff is junk.

You are describing detonation to a perfect tee. what's your jetting? You sound lean to me. Get some real fuel too.
lean? dosnt knocking occur when you are too rich? and im running a 170 main and a 38-40 pilot, but ive been screwing with the stupid air/fuel mix screw alot trying to get it right. and also i know the octaine boost stuff is $hit but it should be fine on pump 93 anyway, i was jus saying that it was an added precaution just incase

gtt416ex
11-01-2009, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by killer400ex
lean? dosnt knocking occur when you are too rich? and im running a 170 main and a 38-40 pilot, but ive been screwing with the stupid air/fuel mix screw alot trying to get it right. and also i know the octaine boost stuff is $hit but it should be fine on pump 93 anyway, i was jus saying that it was an added precaution just incase

it doesn't have anything to do with your fuel mixture. Detonation(spark knock) happens when the motor is put under a load and the fuel detonates before the spark plug fires, which causes a tapping/pinging/ticking noise, a loss in power, and abnormal heat. You need to run about 100 octane fuel and see if that helps

TRXRacer1
11-01-2009, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by killer400ex
lean? dosnt knocking occur when you are too rich? Knocking is caused by one thing..... excessive heat. Typically being on the rich side cools but there are exceptions.

Originally posted by gtt416ex
it doesn't have anything to do with your fuel mixture. If you're causing increased heat from a lean situation detonation absolutely can have something to do with fuel mixture. If he's running a 170 main he should have plenty of fuel unless there's an air leak somewhere.

killer400ex
11-01-2009, 06:46 PM
but my point was that it had never done this before, i had been riding it for about 2 weeks now and then a buddie of mine took it for a spin and thats when it all started, and even though he might have been riding it hard, nobody has ridden it harder than me, i pounded it for the 2 weeks i rode it after i broke it in. this is what has me stumped, i would take it out for a few hours and ride it like i stole it, then all of a sudden he rides it for a half hour and it starts ticking, and i was riding with him so i would know if he had been abusing it

killer400ex
11-01-2009, 06:48 PM
and another thing that got me was that i had been riding it in cold weather and it was fine after i tuned it, but the day it all started it was warm and if anything it would have been running rich cause the temp went from cold to warm (40-75)

gtt416ex
11-02-2009, 05:41 AM
just try some higher octane fuel to see if it stops knocking...i'm pretty sure that's whats wrong with it

killer400ex
11-05-2009, 09:55 AM
well went riding yesterday at home and she ran fine, jetting feels a tad bit off but still had me hangin on to the handlebars for dear life lol, yeah im preety sure my buddie rode it too hard and got her to overheat and knock, thanx for all the help and ideas