PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question About 440 Kit Compression

SmokinEX
10-30-2009, 01:54 PM
i was out of the atv scene for a few years due to work and a paralized arm, a few years back i ordered a 440 kit and got the sleve pressed in, not really knowing anything about them.

recently i was reading a thread on here and somewhere it said if the compression is anything above 11:1 you can only run racing fuel/octane but not pump gas.
so i checked my box and of course its 12:5:1. im guessing it cant run straight pump gas right?

my question is - is the 12:5:1 the type of piston or is it a complete package. i was wondering if it was just the piston so maybe i could buy a 11:1 piston and just run pump gas, i don't race or anything, i use to be a speed demon and just wanted to go fast, but now im just looking for something reliable. cash is a little tight.
what do you's think will be the best way to go? thanks

(sorry if these is in another thread, iv read lots but never seen anything that spelled it out)

katch26
10-30-2009, 02:50 PM
same thing different piston.

tayyo789
10-30-2009, 02:56 PM
Ya you could just uy a different compression piston. 11:1 is the hightest that i go before switching to race gas. 10:1 would be even more reliable though

SmokinEX
10-30-2009, 04:37 PM
thats what i was looking for, thanks fellas

anything you recommend for a stock engine, i want HD studs and getting a stage 1 hotcam.
anything else let me know

tayyo789
10-30-2009, 05:30 PM
For the 440 kit it is good that you got the HD studs. I would upgrade either your carb or some suspension. For either of those you would want to use 450r carb/suspension if you are on a budget. They require some modification but there are tons of threads about how to do it

rob_990
10-30-2009, 11:01 PM
id just run it till it blows up its already in there you might as well use it

sab24711
10-31-2009, 11:24 AM
i strongly advise that you get the hotcams stage 2 or 3 for the 440. i mean you would be running a wild bore and a tame cam.

SmokinEX
07-29-2011, 07:17 PM
i finally took the motor out of the basement and going to put it together. the bike has been apart for so many years i just want to put it together the way it is, just to make sure its going to run before i sink a ton of cash into it.
i don't want it to blow up the first time i ride tho
whats the best way to make it reliable? can i just install the hd studs and a hotcam and be pretty safe for a ride? or is there anything else thats a must?

im trying to find a 450r carb, and i found a shop that sells some kind of race fuel mix.

whats the difference in the cams? should i go with a stage 2?

i notice on the sleeve that was pressed in there is a small spot of surface rust from sitting all this time. would i be able to polish that out some way on my own or should i take it to the machine shop and have them buff er up?

sab24711
07-29-2011, 08:18 PM
I don't k.ow how old the valve arms are but check them once you see two shades of metal on the part that touches the cam and or the valve. then you lost your hardened coating and the arms will chip away from there. Just a visual check is good enough. Your on the right track with ur head studs. But get the three stage metal cosmetic gasket. and one last thing a fan for you oil cooler. if your living in the 90 degree weather us east coaster are having a fan helps.

SmokinEX
07-29-2011, 09:43 PM
thanks, i'll check out the valve arms and see how they look. i was reading about those fans, do you know a site where i can get them? the weather gets hot some days, been mostly all rain so far this summer.
those hd studs from gt thunder, do they just thread into the existing head bolt threads, or do they have to be machined in?

another thing i was wondering about the 12:5:1 / 11:1 piston. are the rings the same?
if i was to buy just the 11:1 piston, could i take the rings off my 12:5 and swap them? just curious since there brand new.

thanks