PDA

View Full Version : vote for 6-8yr old class: 50 mod CVT or 70 STK

EthansDad
10-29-2009, 09:12 AM
Based on conversations in this thread:

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=415417

vote on what class you'd like to see the ATVA add for riders 6-8 coming out of the 50 stk class.

Rich243
10-29-2009, 09:44 AM
I would like to see 70 Stk.

Thanks,

redonkulousruntsracing
10-29-2009, 11:49 AM
Am I the only one that races in an area that has no place for a 70 to ride, hell we are lucky that we have a 50 and 90 class, although we are "exhibition". I have gotten involved and us miniquad parents have been going to meetings so that we can be a points class in 2010, I would love to have a 70 class, but ha ha ha is what we get from district officials, they feel that we should thank them for letting us race on the same track as the bikes!

EthansDad
10-29-2009, 12:08 PM
no sickair, getting good local quad classes is hard to do in many areas. Our local series just added a 70 class because we had a bunch show up/graduate from 50s, but we're not ready to put Ethan on a 70 yet. At our locals, I run Ethan on his stock 50 against the 70 mods since our 50 class is more for true pee-wee. we really don't care if he wins or loses at a local series, as long as he has someone right in front or behind him the whole race, its good skill building. Different attitude for regional and national events of course :)

I'm sure Seth could make a run at some of your local 90s aboard a 70.

redonkulousruntsracing
10-29-2009, 01:05 PM
where I can I let him run with the 90's now so he has tougher competetion or sometimes they drop gate the 50's and 90's so you have everthing from a 4 year ond on his Kawasaki 4 stroke 50cc on the track with the 15 year old on his 300EX with a YZ85 motor in it, yea our local series needs to come along way. But as its suggested for next year we may at least have a 4-8 50cc class and a 8-15 90cc class. wouldnt want to tear any more precious track time away from the 4 classes of 50cc dirt bikes that take foreevvvveeerr to finish a moto. I would just hate to have to have a 70 so I could come to national events and have nowhere else for him to ride it cuz at 7 he couldnt run in our 90 class. Oh well, where there is a will there is a way.... way out there!!!

rebuiltoz
10-29-2009, 02:05 PM
my son runs the cra series in ohio. he runs a 08 l/c 50 that has the foot brake kit....elka shocks and a aftermarket cylinder. i would vote for a 50 mod class cause i dont wanna move him up to a 70 just yet. he wants to run the nationals but its either cobras or 70cc. either way is gonna be a rough start for him. hopefully either way they do something to help the kids with the class change. good luck guys!!!!

THARNESS
10-29-2009, 03:17 PM
I have a son who moved out of the 50 class in 08 and ran in the 70 class last year. Although it is a big step, I belive that they need to run with the faster kids. Sometimes he did okay but many times he got smoked but it made him better. You have to pay your dues in anything you do.

Too many classes waters down the competition and makes the race program drag on too long. If your 15hrs from home and have to be at work on Monday, the last thing you want to be is race #40 on Sunday afternoon. JMO

tntauto1127
10-29-2009, 06:07 PM
I agree with you about too many classes makes the day dag on. Believe me. I race the 30+ class, plus I have 2 kids that race 2 classes each. It's also a long day but makes it worth it when one of the kids wins or places very high. Maybe they could replace one of the other classes. Heck there are 5 90cc classes right now.

DAVYS DAD
10-30-2009, 05:39 AM
My vote is 70limited,by the time you build a 50 cvt production you will have over 6500 in it and it wont be much faster that a limited 50.So i say buy a stock 70 and maybe some shocks for arround 4500 and go race.Also a 70 limited will be much faster than a 50 and may get our kids a little closer to moving up to the 70cvt class
where they make BIG power and ride HARDER. JMO

Later

tntauto1127
10-30-2009, 06:34 AM
as far as builds and $ depends on how you look at it. If you have a 50 with the shocks and stuff now for the lim class To run production you add the cyl, crank, carb, and your good. Our 50Prod is way faster than a lim. It's faster than a slightly modded 70. If it's the 70 class It's a stock platform but they still allow motor work which means a ported stock cylinder. Then to move up to the 70 CVT prod its buy an aftermarket cyl and carb. I guess it's 6 to one, half dozen to another. Hopefully we can get something.

edwardsp&b
10-30-2009, 08:06 AM
Very valid points by all. I think that mr. harness made a good point in saying you have to pay your dues. if you run with the faster kids, you will get faster. you may get smoked for a while, but it will make your child appreciate it more when he gets on that podium. I dont know about your guys kids, but my boy sees these kids running faster than him and he pushes himself harder. win or lose i just want him to do his best and give it his all.
bryan

EthansDad
10-30-2009, 10:10 AM
Mr. Harness does make an excellent point, but its also hard to get a 7yr old kid to "pay his/her dues" for 2-3 years before they can run with the kids on full mod 70s. I know the last thing the ATVA wants is more classes, but it seems very few talented kids make a real impact on the 70CVT mod class for a couple of years coming out of the 50 stk class. some exceptions of course, but on the whole many just get out paced by kids 5+ yrs older than them.

I do agree more speed coming out of the 50 stk class is what kids need, their dues if you will, to get them ready for the 70 mod class. I just think something like the 70 stk would give a number of kids a chance to be in the "top 10" in their class, which they could not do at 6-7 in the 70 mod as it stands now.

I also agree with Davy's dad on price VS speed of a 70 stk VS 50 mod. Let's face it, you're going to speed "cobra money" on a DRR 50 to get it to run in a 50 mod CVT class and at the end of the day will be about the same speed as a stk 70. If you're going to mod, might as well mod a 70 and let them give a go at 70 mod class.

Ethan's eligible for the 50 stk class for this year and next so either way that is what we're going to run, but at some point in 2011 we'll be needing an up class to move to that next level.

edwardsp&b
10-30-2009, 11:24 AM
i agree with the 70 stock lim. class. if it comes down to it id rather have a 70 stock that i could mod later for the 70mod cvt class. just making a point that you get faster, racing faster kids.
bryan

jerkyboy
10-31-2009, 02:54 PM
To me I agree with both sides on this one. But if it comes down to
sinking money into a drr look at it this way. If you build a 50
production drr you are going to put long travel suspention on it if your smart and a aftermarket topend with a pipe. Now when he moves up to a 70 all you need is a topend. Also a moded 50 will outrun a stock 70 with no problem. The only thing I see that the 70 class you have to quallifie at almost every event at the nationals.

tntauto1127
10-31-2009, 03:33 PM
I agree with you Jerkyboy. Take the 50 lim bike turn it into the Mod quad then in a couple years add the 70 cylinder and pipe and your done. It will expose the kids to faster speeds also because like he said the modded 50 is alot faster than a stock 70.

Also, I Talked to a reliable source today who said the ATVA saw our thread and and are looking into added one or maybe both classes. If you look at the poll it's pretty close. If they make both classes and the people in the poll run the class they voted for it would prob put 12-15 riders in each class. Either way he said to make sure we email them before the deadline and it will be considered and talked about at the amatuer meeting prior to the awards banquet in November.

jerkyboy
10-31-2009, 03:41 PM
I will run him in one of the 50 classes and he will also run the
70 production. Dale has alraedy been running the 70 to get ready for next year.

coffing918
10-31-2009, 03:54 PM
if they added the 50 mod cvt then i would run JJ in that class, my family is going anyway so i would just go with them as long as there was a class for JJ to run,,hopefully they will add this class

mkeane
11-01-2009, 07:34 AM
There is a lot of good points for both sides. If they go with the 50 mod class would they let the 50 mod run in the 70 class also? Does anyone know when this decision will be made as this will probably make a difference to a lot of people on what quad to buy.

EthansDad
11-01-2009, 08:48 PM
I don't know when they are going to finalize or come out with classes. I'm glad to see this thread is getting some attention at the ATVA. I'd rather have one class win than have them add 2 personally. that whole "sunday after noon being class #41" thing has a down side.

I'd encourage all on Nov. 5th to write an email to the ATVA and ask for the class that has the most votes that day. I'll be writing one asking for the class that has the most votes no matter my personal opinion.

pennracing
11-02-2009, 10:18 AM
this 50 cvt would be a very good class

quadscrib
11-04-2009, 06:50 AM
70 limited sounds like a good idea to me. From my personal experience a limited 70 class just seems like a financially more sensible transition plus fits what ages I think most kids begin, at least in my area.
Sure building a 50 mod and then "just upgrading" to a 70 later is a novel idea but the cost of bulding a competive 50 mod type quad is big bucks!!! hundreds/thousand or two spent to acheive a total output a 7HP or so then move to the 70 class due to age/etc is quite the move.
70 limited really bridges the gap I feel. The bikes have infinate little classes so why not have both I guess?

jerkyboy
11-04-2009, 05:15 PM
To me its spend money this year or next sooner or later money
will be spent. If you run a 50 production class when you move out
of that class your pipe and topend can be sold to someone moving into this class. And I can't see putting a rider on a faster machine with limited shock travel. Just my opinion

EthansDad
11-04-2009, 07:06 PM
Hey All,

Since I'm on the road tomorrow, I went ahead and sent my email to the ATVA asking for the addition of the 50 mod class.

PLEASE ALL ON THIS THREAD EMAIL THE ATVA TOMORROW OR FRIDAY WITH A SIMILAR EMAIL.

again, the email is info@atvmotocross.com

Here is the email I sent if you care to send something along the same note:

--------------------------------------------------

Dear ATVA,

I'd like to propose a 50 CVT Mod class be added to the 2010 series. After talking with several parents and taking a poll online, there seems to be much interest for the addition of this class based on the speed difference of kids coming out of the stock 50 class into either the 70 CVT or cobra/50 production class. A 50 CVT mod class with age ranges from 6-8 would allow more families coming out of the stock 50 class a chance for their kids to learn how to handle more speed while still be competitive against kids more their age.

You can read more about the opinions of others that feel the same and see the voting results here:

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=415592&perpage=10&pagenumber=1

Thanks for the consideration,

Eric Ahlm

tntauto1127
11-05-2009, 05:12 PM
just a reminder to send an email in ref to the class proposal.

coffing918
11-06-2009, 08:16 AM
will do

hotquads1
11-15-2009, 05:52 PM
I have been thinking of which class would best suit the need here, and if we figure most of the kids will be moving up from 50cc stock limited , there bikes would not be legal for a 70cc stock class, but could be modded for production 50 quiet easy. Most any parent that has been involved in stock limited classes are very happy when they graduate out , much less drama , less room for cheating. So if we want to get a little more use out of those 50 stocker we got , I think 50 production CVT is the best bet. Lets keep pushing , the ATVA seems interested.
marc

EthansDad
11-15-2009, 06:37 PM
We were at the ATVA award event this weekend. Funny when the announcer came on up front to ask for "suggestions" on rules, the first thing she said is "we are QUITE aware you all want a 6-8 yr old class for kids coming out of the 50 limited. please don't tell us that again".

I think they heard us :)

tntauto1127
11-15-2009, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by EthansDad
We were at the ATVA award event this weekend. Funny when the announcer came on up front to ask for "suggestions" on rules, the first thing she said is "we are QUITE aware you all want a 6-8 yr old class for kids coming out of the 50 limited. please don't tell us that again".

I think they heard us :)

That's good and kinda funny. Hopefully that's a good sign.

chess54
11-16-2009, 07:18 AM
Wether they decide to add a 50cc class or not (which i hope they do), when do you think they would make that decision and make it known to the race community. Just curious if you think it will be this year or early next year or whenever.

EthansDad
11-16-2009, 03:13 PM
That is a good question, and one I don't have an answer to as to when they will "officially" say anything one way or another.

Maybe someone here that's dealt more with the ATVA in the past might have some insight, or one of the dealers (Gary/Marc/Other) might have a contact there they can check with for the inside scoop.

-EA

tntauto1127
11-16-2009, 06:19 PM
I'm sure we all feel the same as you.

If they do add a class and what class, will determine the next DRR I buy.

Ryko racing
11-18-2009, 11:54 AM
i believe the single speed 70 class allows 50 to 70 cc cvts and cobras single speeds 7 to 11 age.

this is a great class with very compettitve racing, actually the new 70 cvts are probably faster than the cobras so when you take handling and motor they become pretty equal.

hope this helps.