PDA

View Full Version : Help!...Rear Caliper Stay Removal

JOEX
01-15-2003, 06:11 PM
I'm replacing the axel and bearing carrier etc but the caliper stay (the piece the caliper mounts to) wont come off.

The snap ring is off and I can move and wiggle the stay but it wont come off. I've tried lightly tapping it and prying it lightly with no luck...I don't want to F' anything up.

Any ideas, am I missing something?

Joe

Quadfather
01-15-2003, 06:31 PM
If the snapring is off, it should come right out. You might have an O ring bound up. I would just tap it off with a rubber mallet, or piece of wood.

tprender
01-15-2003, 06:32 PM
If you have the large snap ring off, that i all that holds the brake stay on. Sometimes they will hang up because of the o-ring on the inside of the stay. This o-ring will hang up on the bearring carrier. Try taking 2 screwdrivers and prying from both sides. Use some WB-40 or something to help break it loose.

JOEX
01-15-2003, 06:39 PM
I thought it would slide right off at first, so I didn't want to push too hard...

Just had to use a bit more pressure...

Thanks again, Joe

toby400ex
01-15-2003, 07:17 PM
those things are hard to put back on too

JOEX
01-15-2003, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by toby300ex
those things are hard to put back on too
Thanks for the heads up...do you have any pointers?

Joe

ChadEXer
01-16-2003, 08:48 AM
Actually I just had to tap mine a few times to get it to come off! And it went back on real easy! Just as long as it lines up with the nut thats in the swingarm to lock it in place!!!