PDA

View Full Version : jetting for mt riding

beags86
10-28-2009, 10:19 PM
hey everyone! i just moved to denver, co and was wondering what people ran for jetting at 5 thousand feet and above.

i know, i know, i am sure there are threads on this in the 400 page but i started this thread to get this info, and to see if there was any other 400 fans around the denver area that would like to go ride next summer, and to find out where are the hot riding spots are.

any help from some of my new colorado neighbors??

rocky_mtn_honda
10-29-2009, 10:11 AM
as a coloradoan since birth, i'd like to extend a welcome to you as a new recruit! i've got an 01 400ex that i picked up over late last summer and am currently rebuilding for next years riding season.
as for the jets, whats your mod list? as of now i have factory exhaust and no hi flo filter yet, so im running the stock 38 pilot, and the 140 main...she screams, never bluurps, and the plug is nice and cardboard brown...btw, i live in colorado springs, but work in castle rock and denver...drove up there today through a foot of snow, just to get told...we're slow, go home and just claim a vacation day...thats cool with me :D
so how you like this weather we're having? hopefully you came from a similar climate?

beags86
10-29-2009, 10:32 AM
this weather is pretty crazy! i came from northen IL so i know what snow is all about, we have an avg of about 40 in. a year but the last 2 yr i think we broke 100 in. both yrs. but i am not used to it snowing til thanksgiving or after.

anyway i don't have a bunch of mods just a open air box with k&n and fmf pipe out back, with a 165 main and 45 pilot shes runs pretty good at 700 feet, lol but i doubt it will run real good at a mile high plus.

i have a dial a jet but i never had real good luck with it on back home

i moved to denver, in what i am told is the DTC area

-beags

rocky_mtn_honda
10-29-2009, 10:42 AM
ahh, the tech center...southern denver...nice area, right on the border of douglas and arapahoe county, hopefully your in douglas
but anyhow, i'd definately put the 38 pilot back in and go way down with the main...maybe a 142 or maybe 1 size bigger and go from there. the stock "high altitude" main jet is a 148 i believe.
i've never been a fan of the dial-a-jets, but some people swear by them. i just dont see it too hard to swap out a main when im headed up in elevation
if the 38 pilot is proving hard to start and idle...and you get backfiring, then bump it up to a 40, maybe 42
hope this helps
the 165 main is way to big for 5000-9000 ft
which are elevations i ride at

beags86
10-29-2009, 11:09 AM
haha i had to research what county i live in, i found out i live in arapahoe county, but its on the edge of denver county, if that counts for anything, i know crime is high in aurora, is that why you say that?

rocky_mtn_honda
10-29-2009, 11:18 AM
well i work in douglas, and know these counties pretty well...go ahead, ask me how i know...had a buddy who got arrested in douglas county for dui and he had pending charges out in arapahoe county (aurora)...needless to say, he somehow wiggled his way into douglas county jail and was able to run his sentence from arapahoe concurrent with his douglas county time...he called douglas county jail "camp doug", and when asked about arapahoe county jail, he just kringed and said "i was afraid"
lol he had to go to arapahoe for like 1 day to have a hearing and he was held ad that place for like 8 hours max, and he's a big ol lumberjack mofo 6'8" 265 lbs he was scarreeed! i would have been too though
so yea...aurora aint so good

beags86
10-29-2009, 05:55 PM
yeah i have heard that a time or to already, anyway where abouts do you go ride at, i know theres a track north of denver on I-25 but i don't know anything else about it, i also know there are some sand dunes out in walden (i know about these because i used to live in wy a few years ago). but i would guess you have some places south of denver to go?

rocky_mtn_honda
10-29-2009, 06:06 PM
the track up north by loveland i think tends to dirtbikes only im pretty sure, but i could be wrong cause ive never been there.
we like to ride down in pueblo, which is about 40 miles south of colorado springs, but offers well over 2500 acres of honor farm riding space, right next to pueblo reservoir...really awesome trails down there. if your more of a mountain terrain and trail rider, then trail 717 by deckers is pretty popular...hundreds of miles of mountain terrain. likewise theres rampart range road, that once you get up into the forest, you can tool around for days out there, but be sure to read your signs, because if you take a wrong turn about 20+- miles in, youve entered protected military air force land, and they will be there to greet you with m-16's amazingly fast. so read your signs if your off rampart range.
turkey creek is between canon city, and salida somewhere, which is also popular, but once again, never been there.
you also always have the state reservoir areas, that some have cool terrain, but most do not and frown on riding atv's.
we stick to pueblo because its closest with the most riding area possible. sucks having to drive 40 miles to go riding, but hey...at least we're out there rippin it up!

beags86
10-29-2009, 06:24 PM
well back home in il you had to drive at least 40 min for some good ridin, 20 min would get you to some old railroad tracks, pretty boring. but if you wanted some good riding a person would have to drive 3-4 hours up into wis. or even longer over to indiana badlands. i know you can ride for days up in the snowy range mts. in wy. but thats a 2 1/2 hour drive as well.

i am not sure where you mean by deckers?

-beags

rocky_mtn_honda
10-29-2009, 06:27 PM
http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/psicc/recreation/trails/pp_signal_trail.shtml

rocky_mtn_honda
10-29-2009, 06:52 PM
it actually wouldnt be too bad of a drive from where you are...just take 470 around west, to 285 west, then south on 67 through woodland park...but thats probably 80 miles or more
gotta go once, and then i guess it depends on if you think its worth the drive to go back again...

beags86
10-29-2009, 07:33 PM
thanks! i will and i am sure we'll be in touch!