PDA

View Full Version : cr250 engine f*ed

justin1022
10-28-2009, 10:19 PM
ok i have this cr 250 its a 2001 and i took it apart to redoo a crank it all went good then when i put it back together it fired right up sounded good at first but then was spitting transmission oil like crazy out the pipe. do you guys have any idea on were i messed up? i have no clue...

Which 450?
10-29-2009, 04:27 AM
Crank seals must have got boogered up or pushed out.

justin1022
10-29-2009, 06:55 AM
are you like 100% sure? lol i really dont want to split it again. there was this rod thing that drops threw from the top when the cylinder is out and then it connects with somthing up top. well there was a spacer there and i think i forgot to put it back. think that couldbe causing the problem?

PunkA$$
10-29-2009, 06:56 AM
Perhaps the gasket didn't seat quite right between the tranny side and the crank side?!

PunkA$$
10-29-2009, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by justin1022
are you like 100% sure? lol i really dont want to split it again. there was this rod thing that drops threw from the top when the cylinder is out and then it connects with somthing up top. well there was a spacer there and i think i forgot to put it back. think that couldbe causing the problem?

Are you talking about the rod that controls the power valve?

Which 450?
10-29-2009, 09:26 AM
U dont have to split the cases to replace the crank seals. Just mag cover and clutch cover

justin1022
10-29-2009, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Punk*****
Are you talking about the rod that controls the power valve?

yes that thing i was doing some thinkin and remebered there wa a doul that goes in well i forgot to put it in do you think that could be the problem?

Which 450?
10-30-2009, 07:29 AM
the dowel is used to make sure everything is perfectly lines up. I doubt thats the problem. When it spits the oil out, is it smoking? or is it just oil? Does it run worse?

justin1022
10-30-2009, 09:40 AM
it runs no worse i dont no i only had it running for like 30 seconds because oil was spitting out the pipe already. so would you say it is that stupid seal? for the crank bearing?

PunkA$$
10-30-2009, 11:00 AM
If it is tranny oil like you say, it's either going to be the right side crank seal or the gasket between the case halves. Only way to find out is to tear into it.

Before you do that though are you positive it's transmission oil?

side note: make sure you put that dowel back in asap!!

derekhonda
10-30-2009, 03:08 PM
Not to be mean, but it sounds like you'd be better off taking it to a shop or atleast having someone who has rebuilt a few 250's lookin over your shoulder when you are doing it.

If you put something back together, and notice you still have parts on the bench, just know you screwed up. I've done, most of us probably have, its a sickening feeling.

fastredrider44
10-30-2009, 03:23 PM
x2 ^

justin1022
10-31-2009, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by derekhonda
Not to be mean, but it sounds like you'd be better off taking it to a shop or atleast having someone who has rebuilt a few 250's lookin over your shoulder when you are doing it.

If you put something back together, and notice you still have parts on the bench, just know you screwed up. I've done, most of us probably have, its a sickening feeling.

i baught it in pices so it was kind of a mess. it was already tooken apart with a bad crank adn the guy didnt feel like fixing it so he sold it to me. i no if i had the money i would for sure take it to someone else but i dont so im going to have to take it apart and check it all out again.

justin1022
10-31-2009, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Punk*****
If it is tranny oil like you say, it's either going to be the right side crank seal or the gasket between the case halves. Only way to find out is to tear into it.

Before you do that though are you positive it's transmission oil?

side note: make sure you put that dowel back in asap!!

yep im 100% sure its transmission oil would you mind if i took pictures and slowly took it apart so you could tell me of anything else is wrong? ill take pictures with the side cases off tommorrow

also is there any way to fix this clutch basket or does it need to be replaced?

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v644/207/50/594710550/n594710550_5822375_4310.jpg

PunkA$$
10-31-2009, 01:32 PM
yep im 100% sure its transmission oil would you mind if i took pictures and slowly took it apart so you could tell me of anything else is wrong? ill take pictures with the side cases off tommorrow

also is there any way to fix this clutch basket or does it need to be replaced?

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v644/207/50/594710550/n594710550_5822375_4310.jpg

You could take a file to those edges to smooth them out and get a little more life out of your clutch basket. This is only a one time fix though. Don't try it again when it gets notched out.

derekhonda
10-31-2009, 02:14 PM
i baught it in pices so it was kind of a mess. it was already tooken apart with a bad crank adn the guy didnt feel like fixing it so he sold it to me. i no if i had the money i would for sure take it to someone else but i dont so im going to have to take it apart and check it all out again.

Well that is good, I still would find someone whose looked at a couple and see if you can't get him a case of beer to sit there with you for a couple hours.

justin1022
10-31-2009, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by derekhonda
Well that is good, I still would find someone whose looked at a couple and see if you can't get him a case of beer to sit there with you for a couple hours.

thanks but i think im gona try this on my own. ive always been a do it your self guy. im just going to put pictures up hear once i begin tearing it down. its not top priority anyway so i can take my time.

derekhonda
10-31-2009, 10:16 PM
Some of those projects are the most rewarding. Just take your time and get everything back together right.

I bought a basket case one time, had the motor and all the parts in the box (supposidly)

got it all back together, was told it needed a top end and a clutch. Got it fixed, was down to just bolting on the clutch cover. Damn thing wouldnt go on. I took the new clutch out, tried the old one, still wouldnt fit. Pulled the old one, put back in the new one with one less fiber and spacer, still wouldn't fit, tore it back apart, replaced the springs, still didn't fit. Finally took it to a professional, looked at it for about 10 seconds and said, this clutch cover isnt for this bike. Bought a new cover, went right one, that terd that sold it to me must have just thrown an old one in there, the holes matched up, but there was about 1/2 " less clearance to get around the basket. Got to be careful with those "everythings in the box" specials.

justin1022
11-01-2009, 11:43 AM
man that must suck. ya this bike was 400 bucks and its a 2001 cr250r im in canada so thats a good deal the bike put together working would sell for about 2 grand down hear. i also have to do fork seals over the winter is that difficult? he gave the a rolling frame and the engine in peices ha.

PunkA$$
11-01-2009, 01:31 PM
man that must suck. ya this bike was 400 bucks and its a 2001 cr250r im in canada so thats a good deal the bike put together working would sell for about 2 grand down hear. i also have to do fork seals over the winter is that difficult? he gave the a rolling frame and the engine in peices ha.

Study this for the fork deals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2G-b66F3es&feature=PlayList&p=BFD70FC8864BFBE0&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xoep91eDadI&feature=PlayList&p=BFD70FC8864BFBE0&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVcKQRjviEE&feature=PlayList&p=BFD70FC8864BFBE0&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=8