PDA

View Full Version : What to look for when buying a used LTR???

kouki
10-28-2009, 07:09 PM
Alright, I decided it's time to enter the 21st century and get off my 88 250R and get on a newer 4-stroke. I have narrowed it down to either a Honda 450R or a LTR. I'm leaning towards the LTR.

What are some common problem areas to look for when buying a used LTR? Are there certain points on the frame where they crack, weak spots, other engine related problem areas?

I found what seems to be a pretty good deal. It's an 06 with just some basic bolt-ons. It has HMF exhaust, K&N filter, power commander, and some nerf bars. Otherwise all stock, pretty clean. I can pick it up for about $2200. Does that sound pretty good? Is the HMF exhaust any good or are there better ones out there? I'm going to look at it in person this weekend so just wanted to know any specific things to look for.

Canadian144
10-28-2009, 07:46 PM
For an 06... there are a few thing to look for.

Apparently the early 06s had weak frames... but Suzuki had some recall to that problem, so it wouldn't make sense if someone didn't have it fixed (if their machine was even affected, which not all were).

Oh and if you can get it up into 3rd gear, listen to see if something sounds fishy in 3rd. There have been weak LTRs from almost every year with a weak 3rd, though I believe the problem was most common in early 08s.

If 3rd sounds fine, and nothing else is too suspicious, then I'd say jump on it! The HMF exaust is pretty good, there are better ones out there (most guys would say go with the Yoshimura RS-5 or DASA).

gimp419
10-30-2009, 08:37 AM
The early 06's were the ones with the frame recall. All that amounted to was it had a weak weld where the linkage mounts to the frame.

Look for signs of stress on the frame around the foot pegs as this is about the only place on the LTR that will crack if pounded on.

08s were the bikes with the majority of the 3rd gear issues the 06s have been known to start to jump out of gear but that can be fixed with a simple upgrade from 06 to 08 shifting mech. Bout $150 in parts to convert not a big deal.

Other than that just pull the air filter off and make sure there isn't a lot of dirt that's been getting behind it, if there is you know it's got some wear on the top end.

You should love the LTR if you are coming off of a 250r, I think my LTR feels more like my old 250r than my hybrid CRF bike did lol.

quad59
11-03-2009, 11:53 AM
Check the frame where the linkage goes to see if the weld makes a full circle, if not the weld needs completed that was the recall.

As someone else said check the intake tract.

Check down on the stem bearing at the bottom( will crack in a bad roll over)

check the where the hmf mounts to the subframe the little mount tabs of the can are known to break off

look at the oil can drain check and make sure its not stripped and has a jacked up repair.

Baracudaaa
11-09-2009, 08:56 AM
Replace the front wheel bearings, especially if the bike has seen any water. Easy to do, and cheap.

Check the fuel bowl where the filer is, look for corrosion on the bottom half. If it is, it can make the fuel system have issues. Look at the filter for debris.

If you have a fuel pressure tester, check to make sure its putting out a clean 42 psi, if not, fuel pump is going bad, or system has crap in it. If you cant get 42psi, might also mean the FRP is clogged, or going bad.

Frame hairline cracks at the foot pegs, especially if the last owner was 'big'.

The good thing is, there are so many used parts available on ebay now that any of these issues can be fixed for under $150.

slightlybent47
11-09-2009, 03:07 PM
The ltr's are nice as long as they say Honda on the side of it. LOL!!!

Most of my friends ride ltr's and spend a lot of time fixing them.
This weekend we road and one ltr started smoking so he had to stop riding it. The other one the header bolt broke so his day was done. And one more wouldn't stay running. All of them came out to ride and had to go home early. They do run good, when they run but this happens to them all the time. Mean while the old Honda keeps right on going. In fact I have only had to stop ridding mine once because of throttle cable break. The ltr's are nice but I'd go with the Honda.

In fact one of them has a 06 ltr he will sell you for $1500.00 needs third gear.

I've seen them bend axels, wont start, power commander go out, broken sub frame, third gear go out, and clutch go out and so on.

Canadian144
11-09-2009, 04:00 PM
Everyone can say that they've seen this type or that type of quad break... it's an ATV, obviously things are going to break. I have never had any problems with my LTR, and the few times that I've ran into people with LTRs outside of on the forums they say that they haven't had any problems either....

Though in my experiences I know a few guys who have had several problems with their Outlaws and Raptors.... every other person I've ran into on almost every time of quad has said it's great and nothing's gone wrong.

motox_rider695
11-09-2009, 04:12 PM
any quad can run great, it all depends on how well the owner maintained the quad. Myself as a honda owner take real good care of my machine and greese/lube/clean after every ride. I still have problems now and then but its because something wears out like everything does...

make sure to ask how well he maintained it, if the quad is filthy when you go look at it, he probli didn't take too much care for it...

Canadian144
11-09-2009, 05:20 PM
Yeah exactly.... though no-one look at my quad! I don't have a hose hooked up @ my farm so my quad gets muddy and then the mud sticks and I only get the chance to wash it a few times a year...

atveric132
11-09-2009, 05:37 PM
if people knew how to maintain there stuff and stuff people wouldnt have that problem. i had a guy come up to me at my last district race cuz his bike was blowing oil out the intakr cuz it was blown and i asked him when the last time he had changed the oil,did the valves or put ina new piston. this is an 06 ltr. he said this word for word" i havent changed the oil in about 9 months i havent had the valves checked in about 3 years and its till the piston it came with".

slightlybent47
11-09-2009, 06:15 PM
I'm only going by what i see and I wouldn't think a power commander would go out with less than 20 hours on it like two of my friends did. Or the third gear goes out twice on the same bike, which is for sale by the way. Half the time we ride one of them is having an issue with it. And they do keep them well maintained. But they keep buying new ones and seem to like them so to each his own.