PDA

View Full Version : 400ex wont start...

fasterblaster09
10-28-2009, 12:53 PM
long story short, bought 04 400ex off of craigslist for $700. real nice looking bike, needed wiring harness. Had wiring harness put on and when we went to turn it over its like it wasnt strong enough. the guy said its a new starter. we pull started it and it runs like a spotted ape, and idols perfectly. we can sit there and try to turn it over and it just wont turn it over, anyone have anyy ideas of what we could check out?

rocky_mtn_honda
10-28-2009, 01:06 PM
you sure the battery has a proper charge? my guess would be either insufficient charge, or maybe check the plug wire for resistance...electrical isnt my forte for sure

matts27
10-28-2009, 03:10 PM
Make sure you got a good ground to the starter and motor. Mighta got cut or not re-attached. If unsure, run a jumper from the battery to the motor case by the starter. Also, correct battery voltage should be 13.6 volts, and somewhat return to 13+ after trying to crank it for 10 seconds or so. Sounds like a bad ground though in my opinion, good luck, hope this helps.

rooster300ex
10-28-2009, 11:46 PM
check connections. see if putting a battery charger on it makes it turn over better. I have to put my battery on a charger every once in awhile to keep it charged up

fasterblaster09
10-29-2009, 09:08 AM
we redid the wires multiple times, and charged it and charged it over and over, and tried jumping it. you can hear it spinning, its like it just isnt turning it. it started once after trying for about 30 minutes non stop. when we push or pull start it, it starts right up. my friend seems to think it is the starter drive?? him and his dad know more than me, i dont know anything lol

fasterblaster09
11-03-2009, 07:25 AM
anyone? we cant seem to get the magneta off, and suggestions?

rocky_mtn_honda
11-03-2009, 03:31 PM
you need a flywheel puller (which is just a bolt basically) to get that flywheel off...i dont quite see why you'd need to pull the flywheel though. take the 2 bolts that go into the case off the starter, unplug it and jump it with direct current and see if it engages and turns the gear...maybe its faulty

rocky_mtn_honda
11-03-2009, 04:07 PM
check your pm's

speedfreek
11-03-2009, 06:13 PM
You need to "load check" the battery. It can still show 12volts and still not crank it.

Just hook up another battery with jumper cables (not the charger) and see if it starts, If it does then your battery is bad.

fasterblaster09
11-04-2009, 07:42 AM
he says the starter is good, he seems to think the flywheel is on backwards. (im not a mechanic again, this is front him to the keyboard lol)

Scro
11-04-2009, 10:45 AM
The flywheel can't go on backwards.

When you hit the starter button, and it turns over, can you feel exhaust coming out? If you can't feel anything coming out, but you here the starter turning, you probably have a starter clutch that has failed.

fasterblaster09
11-04-2009, 11:41 AM
he said "no it doesnt turn the motor sounds like it but doesnt its hard to explain"

Scro
11-04-2009, 11:47 AM
Sounds like a starter clutch problem to me.

fasterblaster09
11-04-2009, 01:09 PM
ok thanks for the help.t his afternoon we will try again to get flywheel off and he has a spare parts motor we will change it all out. will let yall know what happens

Scro
11-04-2009, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by fasterblaster09
ok thanks for the help.t his afternoon we will try again to get flywheel off and he has a spare parts motor we will change it all out. will let yall know what happens

I think you are wasting your time pulling the flywheel. If the flywheel/stator is your problem, then you won't be getting spark to your plug. To check this, pull the plug and plug wire. With the spark plug still in the plug wire, turn the motor over. Put the end of the plug close to a ground (frame being the easiest). If you are getting a spark between the plug and the frame, there's nothing wrong with the flywheel/stator.

fasterblaster09
11-06-2009, 09:03 AM
sorry i meant to say magneta (sp?), we did check what you just mentioned, thanks