PDA

View Full Version : cheap upgrades

northeast400
01-15-2003, 05:11 PM
Can anyone suggest any cheap or ''free tricks'' to make my ex handle better.:cool:

RideRed04
01-15-2003, 05:51 PM
play with your shocks. Put the preload on the lightest setting, and ride it on some typical terrain for you. If it bottoms out, stiffen it. If the shock feels like it is packing up, speed up the rebound a little. If it is pogoing, slow it down. If it jolts your back, soften the compression. If it feels like the shock is too soft (rear only for the last two adjustments), stiffen the compression. Other good free stuff would be take off your airbox lid, fold the two front clips over, and put the lid back on with the two clips under the lid, gives you a ram air type thing, makes a little bit of a difference and sounds meaner.

4TraxRider
01-16-2003, 10:02 AM
Get a 14t front sprocket, its not free but it helps. You can also take your choke out and grind teh welds out of your stock headers.

northeast400
01-16-2003, 04:36 PM
I did all the motor stuff I was wondering abuot handling? some one said turn the wheels. what does that do?

trailburner
01-16-2003, 04:44 PM
makes the quad a little more stable...but remember your front brake calipers are also going to be sticking out [watch out for big rocks.calipers are'nt cheep]!! I don't think it's worth it???

optikid123
01-16-2003, 04:49 PM
the prob is that the vale stem from the tire will hit the rotor or the caliper and it will bend your spindle and give more bump steer.

700th post

RideRed04
01-16-2003, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by optikid123
the prob is that the vale stem from the tire will hit the rotor or the caliper and it will bend your spindle and give more bump steer.

700th post

If your valve stem hits your caliper, it will take out the stem, not the caliper, leaving you with a flat. The less preload you run in your front shocks, the more sag you get. The more sag you get, the wider the front end. Dont believe me, pull up on your front bumper and note the distance. Now stand on your bumper. It also rides better and gives you a lower center of gravity. One of the few things that actually makes a noticeable difference.