PDA

View Full Version : 300 ex problem

Rockguy
10-27-2009, 10:10 PM
It's a 93. I just replaced the gas tank. I got a stock one from Ebay. It looks great inside. The quad had been sitting for probably 3 years. I took the bottom of the carb apart and it looks great. Nice and clean. I'm having trouble keeping it running. It will start and run for 5 to 10 seconds then shut down like it's out of gas. I checked with the fuel valve in all positions. I then let it sit for a few minutes and, I can repeat the process. It will start run briefly, then shut down. If I try to restart immediately, it won't start. I have to let it sit for a few minutes.

I was thinking maybe the valve wasn't letting the fuel out quick enough. Maybe that's why I have to let it sit til it builds fuel in the bottom. I took it off and took the bottom screw out. It looks all nice and clean too. I opened the valve and tipped the tank and, some gas would come out. I'm not sure how quickly it should pour out. I put it back on and tried again. Same deal. I cleaned the spark plug. I shot plenty of gumout in the butterfly at first. Had trouble getting it started for awhile (probably cause it sat so long)

I can't think of what I should try next. Any ideas? Like I say, it's really acting like it runs out of gas but, I guess there could be some other problem.

2002ramguy
10-29-2009, 09:44 PM
I had the same problem with my 93 ex. i took the carb off, took it apart and a small valve close to the middle of it. i cant remember if it was a small needle or screw in it but anyway i took that out of the valve blew out the the valve with an air hose put it all back together. It took it a few minutes to crank up but when it did it ran beautifully. You could try that and see how it does. (the valve was clogged with trash in mine)

Rockguy
10-31-2009, 12:26 AM
Thanks very much ramguy. I think you are onto something here. I will give that a try

2002ramguy
11-03-2009, 05:15 PM
No problem. Just wondering if you have tried it yet and how it turned out for you.

Rockguy
11-04-2009, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by 2002ramguy
No problem. Just wondering if you have tried it yet and how it turned out for you.

Hey ramguy, no, I haven't had the time to get back to it yet. I'd like to real soon though. I'll come back and let you know how it worked out.

fmftrx300ex
11-09-2009, 03:22 PM
when u clean a carb its important to clean everything not just the bowlu need to clean the jets and everything , and also check you have a good vent ontop of your fuel tank if its logged it will cause fuel to flow slowly

Rockguy
11-21-2009, 09:09 PM
I tried the carb again with the same results. I have decided to order a rebuild kit from Honda. It should be here in a few days. I noticed a little gas leak on bottom anyway. Probably from disturbing the old o rings. This way I will get new o rings, jets, and whatever else they put in those kits.

2002ramguy
12-03-2009, 07:11 AM
Hey dude sorry the carb cleaning didn't work for you. When i did it to mine it turned out great. i just thought that it might would have worked for you to. Have you gotten your rebuild kit it yet. Good luck with it.

fmftrx300ex
12-05-2009, 08:06 PM
You could have a bad float or float valve

Rockguy
04-03-2010, 06:33 PM
I've rebuilt the carb and it now keeps running. The only problem remaining now is that I can't control the idle. It revs up pretty high without touching the throttle at all. The idle screw has no affect on it. I'm baffled. I took a look in the linkage area to make sure I didn't have something messed up and it all looks good.

Rockguy
10-27-2010, 10:25 AM
I took the linkage out and put it back in and it's working fine now. I'm not sure what the deal was but, that was it.