PDA

View Full Version : clutch question

55stone
10-27-2009, 07:37 PM
so does anyone torque there spring bolts on the pressure plate? i know the manual doesnt have one listed but i have snapped one off in the inner hub over the summer and had to buy a new inner hub but i thought that if there was torque number it would keep that from happening to anyone... anyone with any input feel free to put it.. just dont ever want to do it again..lol stupid problem to have
thanks

rocky_mtn_honda
10-28-2009, 11:19 AM
i definately wouldn't put a torque wrench on those bolts...unless you have one that is specifically for low torque aluminum specs....i cant imagine the torque is anymore that 8-9 ft lbs into that aluminum hub, with that said, use a t-handle driver so you dont apply too much torque, and clean the threads well and apply a dab of red loctite

55stone
10-29-2009, 05:55 PM
alright thanks for all the info

AJG400
10-29-2009, 09:19 PM
i just tighten till they bottom out then jus a hair past never broke one yet

Wr3sTl3b0y
10-30-2009, 11:36 AM
hey i bought a ebc clutch kit for my now 440ex and i have a problem some where
i take off the cover ... take off the bolts .... take off the plate and old clutch i took the pre soaked ebc clutch put it in every other one like it says tighten the bolts up close the case the clutch will not work no matter how much i adjust either way ... a honda shop tech told me it needs to be at top dead center when tightening the clutch bolts is that true ?

rocky_mtn_honda
10-30-2009, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Wr3sTl3b0y
hey i bought a ebc clutch kit for my now 440ex and i have a problem some where
i take off the cover ... take off the bolts .... take off the plate and old clutch i took the pre soaked ebc clutch put it in every other one like it says tighten the bolts up close the case the clutch will not work no matter how much i adjust either way ... a honda shop tech told me it needs to be at top dead center when tightening the clutch bolts is that true ?

sounds to me like you didnt engage the pinion in the cover with the lifter pin in the hub...dunno gives ya something to check though

speedfreek
10-30-2009, 07:33 PM
It does not have to be at TDC!

Wr3sTl3b0y
10-31-2009, 08:47 AM
by engage it you just mean pull that little pin out and hook the little rod and spring down we have tryed it about 10 times im going to get a shop to do it

Blazin400
10-31-2009, 10:26 AM
r u sure the pin is still good??? mine broke and i was fighting with it for the longest time.. then i realized that the pin that goes threw the whole clutch was broke at the top... its a cheap fix if it is broke...

Wr3sTl3b0y
11-01-2009, 07:19 AM
idk if it could be bc i have been putting my old clutch in 'to do me for now it takes adjusting in the middle of the race but it works