PDA

View Full Version : Can you help me tune my '09 front suspension?

yamaha_maniack
10-27-2009, 06:35 PM
Hey guys,

I recently bought one of the new 2009 YFZ 450R's and i am having a little trouble getting a sweet spot for the suspension.

One thing you may need to know is that i weigh about 150 LBS.

I cant buy any aftermarket ones yet so i am just going to try to make these stock ones work for me until i can. The problem i am having is that ever since i softened up the spring on them i have tried to soften up the rebound and increase the compression so that i can get a faster rebound but for some reason i cant get them to rebound fast enough for the spring softness i have them set to.
Another question i have is, if i stiffen up the spring locknuts a little bit then can i adjust the rebound and compression to make it a softer ride? If so then i will go back to the stock (recommended) settings and go from there.
All of your help and input is appreciated!
Thanks!

XCRacer236
10-27-2009, 06:44 PM
if you loosen the preload all that does is lower your ride height. you do that by loosening the jam nut at the top of the spring. i took all of my preload out of all of mine.

when i adjusted my 09 standard, i tightened all of the compression and all of the rebound to the max. then going by the Yamaha manual, i loosened everything to the maximum softness. and now it is unbelievably smooth. where it was stock was horrible. i would suggest doing this and seeing what it feels like. if its too loose tighten it back up.

i am also 150lbs. hope this helps a little

yamaha_maniack
10-27-2009, 06:55 PM
alright thanks man!! i will try this out. i think i might tighten the preload a little if all that it does is adjust the ride height. tightening the preload doesnt make the ride stiffer does it?
Thanks!

ccrider24
10-27-2009, 08:41 PM
Remember also that you have a high speed as well as a low speed compression adjuster, and the compression adjustments do cross over and affect the rebound some on the KYB shocks, they are great shocks! You may be sprung a little stiff for your weight if you are doing alot of woods riding. I am 220# and it seem about right for me for aggressive woods racing. the big red adjuster is the high speed compression (rocks'roots and sharp chattery type stuff, and the screw in the middle is the low speed(body roll , g-outs, etc.) alot of people get the two confused, as the older dual adjust shocks, the screw in the middle is the HS comp. Good luck and good riding!!!

CCRider

yamaha_maniack
10-27-2009, 11:21 PM
Alright thanks guys!!!
I think I know what I need to do.. Stiffen up the spring a lil bit and soften the low speed compression, and high speed compression a little bit.. Does this sound about right?
Also, another question I have is, what does 220# stand for?
Thanks!

ccrider24
10-28-2009, 05:12 AM
Uhhhhh........ Pounds?? Yeah as far as the compression, I'm almost all the way open on the hs comp. And not quite all the way open on the Ls. comp. The rear on mine was too choppy/stiff in the woods even all the way open, so I revalved the rear and it is worlds better for what I do, no kick at all in the rear, and rides right over rocks, roots, and braking bumps.

yamaha_maniack
10-28-2009, 09:11 PM
sweet, sounds pretty good..
today i pulled out my quad and started adjusting the front suspension. i loosened out the rebound all the way soft, and then i loosened the high speed compression knob about 1/2 turn softer, and the low speed compression to about 8 clicks out i think it was. and i also raised the preload to about 5 threads above the locking nut on both sides.. anyways it is LOADS softer, and it is smoother than stock was for sure. i am really liking the new feel, and i might even make it softer on the next ride out. thanks for the help guys! i already understand my suspension and how to tune it like at least 5 times better than before! i was way confused on exactly what did what so you guys really helped..
Thanks again! talk to you later.