PDA

View Full Version : Motorcross tires

Lquad71
10-27-2009, 04:20 PM
I am trying to decide which tires to go with because i will be changing soon. I will either be goin with itp or maxxis tires.

So what maxxis tires is everyone running... ive heard that the razr mx is good for the rear and then having the razr cross up front

for itp ive been hearing that the new itp quadcross mx pro lite all the way around is the way to go..

does anyone have experience with both???
if so i would love to hear some of that input

10-27-2009, 04:27 PM
i have all maxxis raz'r mx's and love em. i heard tht the quadcross up front with razr mx's in the back was the way to go. when mine get worn down im switching to tht. heard holeshots dont last but a couple of races then start coming apart. hoosier makes some pretty good looking mx tires. seen quite a few of people on here running them and seam to like them. id go with a full set of razr mx's. good tire and not to much money to brake the bank.

racerx573
10-27-2009, 04:34 PM
I ran MXRs on my hybrid, I liked those.

Now Razr MX all the way around. They seem to last a lot longer than other brands.

d3ktrix
10-27-2009, 04:43 PM
I used to run Razr MX's all around, I didn't like them at all. Only thing good is they last forever lol.
The soft compound ones are supposed to be a lot better though.

Right now I run quadcross's in the front and MXR6s in the back, IMO they were a massive improvement over the Razrs. They corner on hardpack much better, and don't spin all day.

The first time I slammed the brakes with the front quad crosses on and nailed my junk on the gas tank, was so used to the razr's sliding.

Lquad71
10-27-2009, 04:43 PM
i have razr mx all the way around right now and like them but ive seen alot with the razr cross and wanted to see some comparisons..

i am also getting a good deal on the new quadcross mx pro lite and so i wanted to know about those

spanky101
10-27-2009, 05:31 PM
Id take a look into the new Hoosier tire, I have rode some quads with them and have been nothing but impressed with the tires! My second choice would be the razr cross from and razr rear in the softer compound, another great setup imo!

450Rrider89
10-27-2009, 05:35 PM
new itp quadcross pro lite tires or hoosiers

Lquad71
10-28-2009, 02:18 PM
is the softer compound razr rears the 2-ply???

miles Machine
10-28-2009, 02:21 PM
Not to hijack the tread but has anyone tried the new Dunlop tires that byrd runs?

racerx573
10-28-2009, 02:51 PM
Screw it, grooved tamers and radials all the way. They worked for the pros for the 15 years before companies started making ATV MX tires. :devil:

lonnie1977
10-28-2009, 05:13 PM
Used to have the razr mx and now have the razr cross. I dont really like the cross rears. unpredictable slideing, Love the cross fronts. Loved the mx rears so Im going back to the mx rears with the cross fronts.

BlaineKaiser450
10-28-2009, 07:36 PM
Maxxis Razr Cross fronts
ITP Quadcross rears

it handles super good and hooks up great

rollie
10-28-2009, 08:30 PM
Next year im going with razr cross fronts and either hoosier rears or kenda klaws.

ROLLIEsMOMMY
10-28-2009, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by rollie
Next year im going with razr cross fronts and either hoosier rears or kenda klaws.

i love you :D

Stickman400
11-02-2012, 10:26 PM
Was gunna start a new thread but I figured I would resurrect this thread from the dead :D . So I am planning on getting some new front tires for a mx and then a set for mx and for trails soon. So what is everyone running? Anyone tried the Razr Cross fronts and Razr Mx rears? I think I'm going to go with 20x6x10 Razr Cross fronts then 18x10x8 Razr MX rears for MX and then 20x11x8 Razrs (regular razr) for the trails and occasional harescramble. Does anyone know what the Pros are running for MX and GNCC? I don't really have anytime to pay attention to the races. Thanks guys!

Lquad71
11-03-2012, 07:27 PM
If you can still find them then goldspeed has had the best tires ive ever ran for mx. I like the sx fronts and the mxr2 for rears. I know DWT makes a similar looking tread but the compound sucks on them, goldspeed is by far the best I have run.

Stickman400
11-03-2012, 08:49 PM
Alright thanks. I looked at them and the fronts look basically the same as Razr Cross's, 49.99 a piece from RM vs. 70.99 for the Razr. They don't carry the rears anymore but DWT has apparently taken/bought the desgin from Goldspeed and they sell the same tire but it's called a MXR V4. No prices on DWT site though.

Anyone else have any luck with these tires or something different?

89trx250r
11-04-2012, 10:50 AM
Yup razr cross front and the dwt v4 rear in super soft compound. They are the best rears I have ever used on my R they get grip everywhere and they slide well. Make sure you mount then with the teeth facing forward for extra bite.

Lquad71
11-05-2012, 08:00 AM
agreed the dwt super soft do work very well when new. but I 2 motos out of them and started ripping the lugs off. and the razr cross tread is not as tall as the goldspeed or dwt.

Shafer777
11-07-2012, 09:38 AM
sorry if this gets long but...
razr X-m's are possibly one of the best tires out there for the rear, they last long and pull holeshots really well, and are a soft compound and hook up on pretty much anything (like goldspeeds) but last quite a while longer. bad thing is expense, very costly. the best handling tires that i have hard were either razr cross's itp quad cross's. the quad crosses are more for a hard pack track tho, razr cross's are more universal as far as constant handling on various track conditions. the most universal, cost effective, and good handling setup ive seen is regular 2 ply yellow letter razr mx rears and razr cross. the compound is soft and hooks up good but the rears wear out pretty fast on a hard track. for a hard pack track itp quad-cross's are perfect. they last long and hook up pretty well.

those were my favorites, along with the goldspeed mxr4 rears, but i've never tried the fronts. they hook up well and cornering is very predictable.

now to the ones i havent been happy with...
ive never really liked hoosiers, i mean they hook up well but if its a hard pack track they will be toast in 1-3 races. dunlops also i havent been that happy with, not sure what it is but i just dont like them, there's nothing they do really well. another one that everyone is set on (around where i live and race) itp holeshots. they arent that good, no side knobs on the rear and the rubber is so hard that it chips off like dirt bike tires. and the fronts push when the conditions arent perfect.. they're also expensive for all they're worth too.

i hope this was of some help, i just bought some STI tech4'sfor $50 a tire, from what ive heard they corner amazingly and last quite a while, but havent heard of how they do on holeshots. im thinking hell, its not that expensive to try something out. if anyone is interested i will post what i think of them once i try them out.

Charles828
11-07-2012, 10:33 AM
For 2013, im gunna use STI Tech 4 for front and Hoosier for rear!

STI are very cheap, i like them!

yfm250rider
11-07-2012, 08:10 PM
i have the sti fronts they corner great and wear very slowly but there skinny tires they dont fit on the rim well they always leak and the bead packs with mud

TacicalRedneck
11-08-2012, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Charles828
For 2013, im gunna use STI Tech 4 for front and Hoosier for rear!

STI are very cheap, i like them!

I read reviews for the STI tech 4- on rockymtnatv they said the knobs would fall off within a few weeks if i remeber correctly :ermm:

Lquad71
11-08-2012, 09:14 PM
The STI does actually last for quite a while, but IMO they are just way too hard compound. They rears dont hook very good unless you are in a pretty sandy track or really tacky, and they had to be pretty new. The fronts are decent but again not very good for hard pack and just a really hard compound.

If you want long lasting and universal and relatively cheap:
I would recommend the RAZR mx rear and cross fronts, they last quite a while and working nice

I havent tried the Maxxis XM but i have only heard very good things about them. If you have the money then maybe give them a try.

tjsdaname
11-13-2012, 12:31 AM
Hoosier all the way.

I have ran razr MX's, quadcross mx pro's and the cant even compare the they hoosier's