PDA

View Full Version : Nickolas needs a newer/bigger quad...

tri5ron
10-27-2009, 02:09 PM
I could use some help here guys.
I posted this question in the "mini's" forum, and got a few replies, but thought I'd ask here to see if you guys could help to edu-ma-cate me.

I'm not very familiar with the various brands/models of the mini quads, and I need to find a reasonably priced used quad for my son Nickolas.
Many of you already know, He has Down Syndrome, and as a result of that, he does not need to have some wild, tricked-out racing machine.

He will most likely only ride very near our camp, and not venture out too far on the trails.
He will not be doing any racing, jumps, slides, donuts, shooting roost's, wheelies, or anything like that.
we are talking putt-putt riding here.

He has a LITTLE bit of seat time on a cheesy Chinese 50, and has done ok,... but he is too big for it, and has flipped it twice because it is so small, and thus, he is too top heavy.

He does want to ride more, (something I need to encourage),
and I need to find something that will fit his size better,... AND,... FIT HIS ABILITIES, better.
It can be EITHER, a "Sport quad", OR , a "Utility quad" style.
He will be just as happy, on either type.
It will need to have either full running boards, or full nerfs,
A throttle limiter
(Preferred) Full Auto trans
Kill switch, (and I will also add a remote kill switch, to operate from my quad).

The piggy bank for this, is very limited. (about ($900-$1100 max.)

So I am only looking for something used, but fairly clean.
I need to know what I should be looking for, Brands and Models wise. (This will help in "search words" while looking on craigslist, recycler, ebay, etc.)

So with that said,... what I would like from you guys is,...
a list of quads in the 70cc - 90cc range, that are:

4 stroke - (I dont want to deal with mixed gas, smoke, or plugs fouling)
Auto tranny - (shifting may be a bit beyond his abilities for now)
Throttle limiter - (self explanitory there)
Green stickered - (again, self explanitory)

and near the same physical size of a TRX90 (could be a tad smaller too).

any input and replies will be greatly appreciated,
Thanks guys,
- Ron

honda400ex2003
10-27-2009, 05:38 PM
it sounds like the best setup for him would be a trx 90 or equivalent. Maybe even a recon would be good since it has some bigger fenders and foot guards on it. I am not sure on the throttle but i am sure you can do something with a 90 throttle. you may be able to do this on a 250ex to keep him going nice and slow. otherwise a ds90 or 250 may be nice since they are both shaft driven and cvt. steve

ATVMX33
10-27-2009, 06:02 PM
we use to have a polaris phoenix...really slow with auto tranny and full floorboards...great for just putting around

atvnut22
10-27-2009, 06:29 PM
sounds to me like he needs a lt80. sounds perfect, cept being a 2 stroke

jcv400ex
10-27-2009, 08:51 PM
I vote Polaris Phoenix also. Even an older Trailblazer wouldn't be bad. Easy to learn on and meets all of your requirements.

tri5ron
10-27-2009, 09:31 PM
Sounds good guys, keep them coming.
Trailblazer is made by who ???

SRH
10-27-2009, 09:33 PM
lt 80 is perfect, 2 stroke but i ran mine with the injection and never fouled a plug no issues....there bullet proof

matt14c
10-27-2009, 09:36 PM
Trailblazer is Polaris I believe if they are talking about the same one.

How about an recon or older Honda Type II. Both have floor boards which is nice. auto clutch. Honda and very easy to work on and maintain.

hondariderdylan
10-28-2009, 10:42 AM
the trailblazer i think everyone has in mind is the 250

but a buddy of mine has both a pheonix and a blazer and the blazer is a full size quad, it sits up higher than my 250
the pheonix is smaller, but still not nearly small enough for what you want

few questions

1. do you have a prefered brand?
2. how old is the boy if you dont mind me asking?
3. do you mind buying used?
4. would it be too far of a stretch to buy an off brand?

Pipeless416
10-28-2009, 11:13 AM
the lt80 would be nice, but they are just physically too small for Nickolas. my vote also goes to the polaris pheonix. the 200 cc's might seem like a bit much, but with a throttle limiter and a remote shut off, it could be perfect.

tri5ron
10-28-2009, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by hondariderdylan
few questions

1. do you have a prefered brand?
2. how old is the boy if you dont mind me asking?
3. do you mind buying used?
4. would it be too far of a stretch to buy an off brand?

preferred brands in order would be:
Honda - (just 'cuz that's what I've owned most of)
Yamaha - ( had quite a few Yammies too, still top quality in my book)
Suzuki - (had a couple RM400's back in the day, and even a old TrailHopper 50, boy that one was junk)
Polaris - (never owned one, never been around one, seem to remember hearing some bad things about tranny's or something)

Had a couple of Kawi's too, (400, 650),but not too impressed.

Nickolas is 10 years old, and short for a 10 y.o. (typical for a DS kid) he is built like a Defensive Lineman, legs are short, and strong as an Ox, arms are average length, a little above average strength. and if he ever comes running up to you to give you a hug, my suggestion is to bend your knees a little and BRACE YOURSELF LOL!, or you may find yourself knock on your tail !
(go ahead,.....ask me how I know this !!!)
have you ever been taken down by a 4 footer?
if not, you haven't met Nickolas yet !

Here's a couple of pics of him from last Easter. This shows his arms and legs pretty well
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/2009%20Easter%20egg%20hunt/IMG_9367.jpg

The Human wrecking ball....
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/2009%20Easter%20egg%20hunt/IMG_9359.jpg

and here's one from last summer on the little Chinese 50 quad. This thing has seen it's last rodeo with him on it.....
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/Fathers%20Day%202009/IMG_9877.jpg

And to answer the last couple of questions,..
Used is specifically what I'm figuring / hoping to find for a couple of reasons.
1- I feel that I'll get "more" for my money when buying used, and letting someone else take the "depreciation hit". Also I'm dealing with a VERY limited budget of $1100 max.

2- Off brand's are fine for him, as long as they are built well, and not a total p.o.s.
Some of the off brands like ETON, KUMYCO sp?, and a couple others that I can't remember, seem to have a fairly happy following of customers. I just don't know which ones are the better ones, and which ones are the total junk.

Let me know if this info helps. and which ones are worthy of consideration.

(if I was'nt trying so hard to find a "CVT" type tranny, I'd just go ahead and get another TRX90, or a little Raptor.) Which may end up being what happens.
I just think it is going to take a long time for him to grasp the concept of shifting, (ESPECIALLY DOWN SHIFTING !).

One thing about Nickolas is,... he basically operates at 2 speeds.
The first speed is at idle, the second speed is..... b.t.t.w.(take a guess).

honda400ex2003
10-28-2009, 02:08 PM
maybe even a ds90 would be good. they may be hard to find used though. i think he would have a lot of fun on a 90 for a long time. yoiu could shift it into second gear and leave it there for him to cruise around with it limited, then once he gets better and a bit more familiar with it he can learn to shift and such. I am sure you can find a good deal on a 90 of some sort on craiglist or ebay. even if it needs some work you can do a bit at time and fix it up with him as a project. it might be fun for him to work with dad on his machine ya know. I know i enjoyed it when i was young and still do enjoy working on stuff with my dad. just a suggestion for you though. steve

extremeblastr
10-28-2009, 04:10 PM
the yami raptor 80 is cvt is it not? i would think that sounds like exactly what your looking for.

Blizzard24
10-28-2009, 04:53 PM
TRX90 seems like it is exactly what you are looking for, possibly a Raptor 90 if you can find one.

You should be able to find a TRX90 around $1100

extremeblastr
10-28-2009, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Blizzard24
TRX90 seems like it is exactly what you are looking for, possibly a Raptor 90 if you can find one.

You should be able to find a TRX90 around $1100

trx 90 is not full auto he has already said he is not purchasing one for that reason...

tri5ron
10-28-2009, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by extremeblastr
the yami raptor 80 is cvt is it not? i would think that sounds like exactly what your looking for. maybe there is a auto version, I don't know.
There are two of them in the local craigslist right now, but they say 3 speed. I'm assuming that means auto clutch only.

I have left a message on both of them to call me back. we'll see...

honda400ex2003
10-28-2009, 07:35 PM
looks like the new ones are anyways.

MSRP* $2,699 (White w/Graphics Kit) Available from November 2009

Engine
Type 88cc, 4-stroke, air-cooled single; SOHC, 2-valve

Bore x Stroke 47.0mm x 51.0mm

Compression Ratio 10.2:1

Fuel Delivery SVR22

Starting System Electric, kick start backup

Ignition DC-CDI

Transmission Automatic CVT

Drive Train Chain

steve

Blizzard24
10-29-2009, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by extremeblastr
trx 90 is not full auto he has already said he is not purchasing one for that reason...

Hmmm... didnt realize the trx90's had gears, I was always under the assumption that they were CVT's.

hondariderdylan
10-29-2009, 10:41 AM
i would say a small eton, maybe there 70
just make sure you have a dealer with a good parts connection incase it does break and he should have fun

here is a link:
http://www.etonamerica.com/PD_V7009.html

hope this helps
if you dont like this one,hit up craigslist or ebay if possible and see if you can find one you like :cool:

hasbeenttduner
10-29-2009, 10:54 AM
Nope the TRX 90's are not CVT.You must use the old left foot but it is a auto clutch.

BakerRacing40
10-29-2009, 11:00 AM
i used to work at a place that sold this brand. i've seen some come back but you could till that they were rode hard and put up wet. honda parts are supposed to interchange on some of their engines. warranty don't look bad either..

http://www.sunl.com/ATVs-110-150cc/

Nick's #1 Fan
10-29-2009, 11:07 AM
A Kymco Mongoose 90 may also fit your need. It is cvt and is 4 stroke. We had one for a short time and it seemed to haul the mail and for your son it may be just what you need. If in the future you want to add some aftermarket stuff you can.

I believe Kymco also has some utility quads that may work for you. I know it's not a name brand like Honda and Yamaha but Kymco's are very easy to work on and there is some people on the mini section that will help..

SRH
10-29-2009, 07:22 PM
for 1100 you can get a decent lt 80....there bulletproof, im 240 and it pulls me anywhere at a decent clip, i love it,most of my buddies have them as well and we beat on them and they take it

you wont find anything other than a polaris/arctic cat/knock off junk stuff for that price thats cvt and there garbage they wear out fast real pita

trx 90, raptor 80 you gotta shift, the new raptor 90 is cvt but you wont find one for 1100

do some research on the lt 80...in this price range thats really your only choice with what your looking for...its plenty big enough for him im 6 ft and 240 and ride it fine everywhere

SRH
10-29-2009, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by BakerRacing40
i used to work at a place that sold this brand. i've seen some come back but you could till that they were rode hard and put up wet. honda parts are supposed to interchange on some of their engines. warranty don't look bad either..

http://www.sunl.com/ATVs-110-150cc/

pure junk!!! we can buy them new for $300 in the crate if we take a bunch at a time and there not worth the headache...hard to get them to honor the warranty too... stay away from sun l, or any of the knock offs especially sun l

the ds 90 is another option although there not as proven as the lt 80

Nick's #1 Fan
10-29-2009, 07:36 PM
I'm not sure how far away from Chapparral you are since you are in Orange County but it might be worth the drive to look at a couple different quads for your son.

I know they have Kymco in stock and they have some name brands there as well. I don't know if I suggest buying one at new prices but at least you can kick the tires and see what fits him and then start looking for what you and he both want.

Just a thought...