PDA

View Full Version : blue loctite is a waste of time!

KFX450Rrider490
10-27-2009, 01:42 PM
from now on ill only use red loctite and for this reason

KFX450Rrider490
10-27-2009, 01:44 PM
a better view and does anyone know if i can buy just the rod and rebound adjuster for this shock?
thanks

Guy400
10-27-2009, 01:50 PM
Holy crap. Did you go over the bars?

Kickstarts-suck
10-27-2009, 01:51 PM
Lol I just used some blue loctite on my oil pan bolts..:p

KFX450Rrider490
10-27-2009, 02:01 PM
no i came in off a 35' table and it didnt dig in to much until about 20' later it hooked the ground spun sideways and threw me off

yellowzo3
10-27-2009, 02:10 PM
:eek2: you alright man?

and why do blue bottles have red locktite and vice versa? always pissed me off lol

spanky101
10-27-2009, 02:18 PM
That sucks man! Glad to hear your ok tho. You should be able to find cheap take off shocks tho

JParisi48
10-27-2009, 02:55 PM
ouch, thats sucks dude....i think you would be better off buyin a new stock set, and see if someone will sell you both for cheap.....i always use red loctite, and after seeing this, i will never in my life use blue again:eek:

honda400ex2003
10-27-2009, 03:39 PM
that def. sucks man good to hear you are ok, i like to use red if i am gonna use any at all. steve

97blaster200
10-27-2009, 04:02 PM
just curious but how do you know the blue loctite is what failed?

10-27-2009, 04:16 PM
thats because when u put blue loctite on a bolt or nut with greese or oil all over it its not gonna bond with the metal. your supposed to clean the bolt or whatever with gas, or brake clean and then applie it after its good and dry.

KXRida
10-27-2009, 04:36 PM
Blue loctite is a low grade thread sealer. Very rarely do I use blue on anything on my bikes. Red loctite should be used on anything that is a high vibration area or prone to working itself loose. Never would I use blue loctite on a shock bolt.

Sjorge450R
10-27-2009, 05:06 PM
the shock bolts are one of the most important bolts to check before riding. Right there next to the lugnuts. You cant just expect every bolt to stay tight all the time. When you check your tire pressure, check the shock bolts.

KFX450Rrider490
10-27-2009, 05:43 PM
hey thanks guys! i love the fact that on this site everyone cares about everyone else!

i guess you can say i learned my lesson i will definitly check the quad over before i ride

and i know it was the loctite because i coated the bolt in it screwed it into the a-arm and never thought about it mabe there was something that was in the new a-arms that i didnt know about or just that one because the other one was fine so i dont know what happened

10-27-2009, 06:13 PM
hows the green loctite?

IcutMetl
10-27-2009, 08:15 PM
With any loctite, especially on a high importance component, you need to be SURE that both mating threads are clean before using it. If they're oily, greasy, or dirty, you can't blame the stuff for not doing it's job. (not saying that's what happened here) A wipe with a rag and a shot of carb/brake cleaner will work great and evaporate right away. I use blue loctite all the time (242) on nearly everything. I use it on my factory anti-fade nut after cleaning with a wire brush and carb cleaner, and have never spun that thing loose...ever. The only time I will or would use the red (260??) is on a component that will rarely if ever need disassembled or has a rediculous amount of vibration. The red stuff is nearly permanent and usually needs heat or extra persuasion for removal, if used correctly. I definitely wouldn't use the red stuff on smaller fasteners- it can give you pure hell getting them back out.

I'm not familiar with alllll the grades of loctite, but also have used Retaining Compound (green- 609) in the past. It is meant for pressed in or pressed on components (bearing races, sleeves, etc) that need to stay put and resist spin, etc. It works very well, but is just as sensitive if not more so than the threadlocker. Used it all the time pressing in bearings, or putting sleeves on shafts. Rebuilt the front end of my F150, and one of the axle shafts had a bearing spun on it- put the shaft in a lathe to cut it down then cylindrical grinder to true it up, then in a freezer to shrink it- turned a bushing out of heat treated material and sleeved it using the 609- let it cure, ground it back to spec, and never had a problem. The race shop who built my motor also did the diff's in that truck, and let me use their equipment to fix the axle...pretty cool of them I thought.

mxpimp2000
10-27-2009, 08:19 PM
i dont use lock tite and i recently used the red on my rear hubs and axle nut but still came loose esp the axle lock nut.

yes everything was properly cleaned and applied correctly. i use lock nuts on my shock bolts and they are always good and tight until i take them off.

green is for something u dont wanna take apart for a really long period of time or say never. red will do the trick on somethings but not all

SRH
10-27-2009, 09:37 PM
you shouldnt have to use loctite on much of the chassis except chain rollers etc.... you just need a good torque wrench and the specs....dont use cheesy bolt kits from ebay..oem oem oem

400ex28
10-27-2009, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by SRH
you shouldnt have to use loctite on much of the chassis except chain rollers etc.... you just need a good torque wrench and the specs....dont use cheesy bolt kits from ebay..oem oem oem

x2 I rarely use loctite

250rAL
10-28-2009, 08:09 AM
I've never used threadlocker on any suspension bolts. Never had one come loose. Just torque them correctly.

Honda#4
10-28-2009, 09:47 AM
x2 I rarely use loctite

X3 Same here even on the axle locknut which I only hand tightened.

RaptorRacer45
10-28-2009, 10:17 AM
Laz @ GT Thunder can fix that right up for ya if your not intrested in buying another set.

d3ktrix
10-28-2009, 10:35 AM
Aren't the OEM nuts on all the suspension parts locking nuts?
I'm guessing you weren't using the stock nuts?

I only use blue locktite on the small bolts in the bottom end.

NacsMXer
10-28-2009, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Honda#4
X3 Same here even on the axle locknut which I only hand tightened.

X4 lol, only thing I use loctite on is the cam sprocket bolts, and that gets the red stuff for sure!

I use antiseize on the threads of all the suspension bolts so they don't corrode up on me, and torque them to spec. Never had one come loose on me, and they always come apart/go together smoothly without galling the threads.

Sjorge450R
10-28-2009, 12:10 PM
psht...torquing to spec. What does that even mean when it comes to chassis components???

I have always just used my cordless impact on most parts and then the torque wrench only comes out for the head bolts and internal parts....

deathman53
10-28-2009, 09:01 PM
I rarely use loctite and ever rarer do bolts come out and loosen. Torque them good and you are done.

XXX -rider
10-29-2009, 11:26 AM
this is a humorous thread !!...
not the fact that someones shock is busted or he could have been seriously injured ..but the fact that someone is blaming the problem on loctite..ridiculous!!