PDA

View Full Version : crf450 parts work in trx450r motor

jbird238
10-26-2009, 10:57 PM
i have a 2005 trx450r i race gncc and i herd about putting the dirtbike 450r parts in the motor just wondering what all parts work and what would be the best for a woods motor thank you

JH Racing
10-27-2009, 07:49 AM
inner clutch basket, pressure plate, intake valves, 02-06 cam, clutches. That is all that will work in a 04-05. In a 06-09 the piston and cam chain will also work. If you change your valve guides the 02-06 CRF ex valves are a +1 in a TRX.

Black Sheep
10-27-2009, 09:57 AM
I run a 06 CRF head on my 06 TRX

teddy_82
10-28-2009, 10:39 PM
you could also run the ignition dasa makes a kit it gives you a hotter longer spark but u would lose ur fan off ur radiator

SHIFTx450
10-29-2009, 09:40 AM
Is there noticable difference running the CRF head on the TRX? You mentioned the valves being bigger, is the porting different as well? Combustion chamber?

SHIFTx450
11-03-2009, 11:41 AM
Nobody has any input???:confused:

smw450r
11-05-2009, 05:22 PM
yea i want to know about that myself

11-06-2009, 01:53 PM
Your better off getting your 06+ head ported than getting a crf head just cause it has bigger valves.

Black Sheep
11-06-2009, 03:12 PM
It's been a while since i looked at my TRX head but, the port layout on the CRF head is different then the TRX. it is something that can not be duplicated with simple porting. The exhaust pipe and carb intakes are also at different angles. again something that can not be duplicated with a port job.

I easily walk away from ported TRX motors with my stock CRF head setup.

the biggest problem you will face running one on a TRX is there is no place for the thermostat. Since i don't need a thermostat for my application it's not a issue.

I would also think that the head difference is the reason why the CRF powered hybrids are so popular still becuse other then that I don't see the advantage.

11-06-2009, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Black Sheep
It's been a while since i looked at my TRX head but, the port layout on the CRF head is different then the TRX. it is something that can not be duplicated with simple porting. The exhaust pipe and carb intakes are also at different angles. again something that can not be duplicated with a port job.

the biggest problem you will face running one on a TRX is there is no place for the thermostat. Since i don't need a thermostat for my application it's not a issue.

I would also think that the head difference is the reason why the CRF powered hybrids are so popular still becuse other then that I don't see the advantage.

Just cause you walk away from them doesnt mean your CRF head has more HP. suspension, tires, swingarm and line choice is also part of the game to. im not saying that what you have isnt better than a stock TRX but its not better than a ported TRX. unless the TRX head has been done by a backyard mechanic.

Black Sheep
11-06-2009, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Roostar 450
Just cause you walk away from them doesnt mean your CRF head has more HP. suspension, tires, swingarm and line choice is also part of the game to. im not saying that what you have isnt better than a stock TRX but its not better than a ported TRX. unless the TRX head has been done by a backyard mechanic.

ok, for the sake of this discussion, how much H.P. does a stock TRX put out? How much H.P. does a stock CRF put out? how much H.P. does your average ported TRX put out? ;)

veenser2000
11-06-2009, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Black Sheep

Correct me if im wrong but dont you ride a ATC? Or do you have a hybrid hiding somewhere? That wouldn't be to fair of a comparison...

I do agree though generally the hybrids are a bit quicker in stock form from what I've experienced....
but in the end both motors produce roughly the same hp. when completely modded....

SHIFTx450
11-08-2009, 09:43 AM
Humminy Hum... Keep it coming! I need a new head, my trx head is cracked.. I wanna know more about the crf head! Will my carb and exhaust still bolt up considering these different angles you're talking about???

Black Sheep
11-08-2009, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by veenser2000
Correct me if im wrong but dont you ride a ATC?

I no longer own any vintage ATC's ;) besides everyone says quads have the advantage over trikes :rolleyes:

Originally posted by SHIFTx450 Will my carb and exhaust still bolt up considering these different angles you're talking about??? [/B]

The pipe will stick out a little farther but there are no clearence problems.

The carb will be a tough fit at first...you need to put in in the airboot first then the intake. After it's been in there for some time it will go on and off much easier as the boot will reform it self for the angle.

Your biggest concern would be there is no thermostat housing
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff223/motomanimal32/CopyofDSC03531.jpg

quadfmx
11-08-2009, 02:04 PM
whats the price point on this mod? what other engine mods did you make on the quad, piston , cam etc.
Did you run CRF cam or something made for the trx? did you go to a high comp piston also?

Black Sheep
11-08-2009, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by quadfmx
whats the price point on this mod? what other engine mods did you make on the quad, piston , cam etc.
Did you run CRF cam or something made for the trx? did you go to a high comp piston also?

nothing, I just bolted a stock CRF Head on the TRX cylinder with stock piston.

I also use the HRC headpipe for the TRX and the CRF carburator

quadfmx
11-09-2009, 01:48 PM
so did u have to buy a complete head with vales seats and everything or could u use the opnes off your TRX?

What is the price point on this mod? I looked at yamaha of troy and it was like
01 CYLINDER HEAD
12200-MEN-850 001 $294.67

was there a reason you switched to the CRF carb? will the trx not work due to fitment
also do u have to run a crf cam.

I like the idea so I dont have to wait 10 weeks for a port job

SHIFTx450
11-10-2009, 02:23 PM
so did u have to buy a complete head with vales seats and everything or could u use the opnes off your TRX?

What is the price point on this mod? I looked at yamaha of troy and it was like
01 CYLINDER HEAD
12200-MEN-850 001 $294.67

was there a reason you switched to the CRF carb? will the trx not work due to fitment
also do u have to run a crf cam.

I like the idea so I dont have to wait 10 weeks for a port job

i second that

quadfmx
11-11-2009, 02:25 PM
Its a great idea, im just concerned I would bolt it on and then something not have the right clearance and end up with a huge bill for a busted engine

Black Sheep
11-14-2009, 06:41 PM
You will need to change/use the CRF exhaust valves. other then that everything from the TRX head will work.

The biggest concern i could see would be the lack of thermostat and lead to activate the radiator fan. Since I don't use/need the fan it's not a issue for me.

I had to do no other changes and it bolted right on. I've run it for over a year in all types of conditions with no problems

SHIFTx450
11-15-2009, 08:03 AM
Can you just hard wire the fan with a switch??

quadfmx
11-18-2009, 12:24 AM
did u just swap to the crf carb bc its an 04-05
I thought the 06 had the same carb is why I ask,

So besides the crf valves everything else you needed was in your trx head?

2muchquad
12-22-2009, 03:57 PM
yes the fan can be hard wired;)

400exrider707
12-22-2009, 04:09 PM
The TRX motors are already so well cooled you could run all day without the fan without worry. We never ran a fan on our MX bike and it was 14:1 compression and stock radiator. As long as it was moving forward it never overheated.

Black Sheep
12-22-2009, 04:34 PM
did u just swap to the crf carb bc its an 04-05
I thought the 06 had the same carb is why I ask,

So besides the crf valves everything else you needed was in your trx head?

I run the CRF carb because the TRX carb won't clear my fuel tank.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff223/motomanimal32/CopyofDSC03531.jpg

yes and no, I do not run the TRX cam. I run a CRF cam but, the trx cam will work