PDA

View Full Version : 400ex build sugestions

REDRON
10-26-2009, 10:30 PM
I am building a 400ex and want peoples input .I have built and raced many quads so im not a newbie or a beginer.I have just been out of the scene for a couple of years.I know some things i want on the bike but want people input on what they would put on a 400ex if money wasn't an issue and just quality and durability was.I am building this bike to ride on dry trails and mainly dunes with an occasional trip to the sand drags so shoot away with suggestions.Please let me know every detail down to what kind of bolts you would use on this build.I am starting with a stock frame with title and a stock bottom end.I am not dead set on the 400 engine if you would suggest and engine swap as well.Thanks Ron.

Wildbrain
10-27-2009, 01:50 AM
While there is no such thing as to having to much power, think back to your racing days.

Invest in suspension. You get the most bang for your buck there.

gt400ex
10-27-2009, 01:52 AM
Go wider! If you spend most of your time on the dunes do plus 2 arms and a wider axle. It really made a difference for me going wider, Im able to hit whoops and such with more speed and control.

matt14c
10-27-2009, 08:38 AM
Money no issue and dont neceassrily have to have 400 motor.
CRF 450 engine and all things necassary to run it
Roll Design Long travel all around
PEP or custom axis all around
Gusset the hell out of the frame and then pc
+1 anti vibe stem
Tag t2 bars
Burgard race nerfs w/o ugly heal guards
Sidewinder sprockets and chain
Full bore fenders
Hipers with razr 2's or kenda klaw xc all around
LSR Axle
Streamline brake compenents Lines, rotors
That should be a good start:D

Lonestar_R
10-27-2009, 09:47 AM
Buy my 426 that is already done for alot cheaper than building one.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=414694

REDRON
10-27-2009, 10:24 AM
sounds good keep it coming.Please mention what brand of products and why especialy if you have had a good experience with this product .Like i said a want quality and durability and i want it to funtion well.I am interested in what it takes to make a crf450r engine work in these chassis.Is it a hack job or can you buy a kit or components to make it work?I know the kind of horsepower you can get from a crf but i also know the engines dont last that long between builds .Is it worth it to do the crf engine or just build the 400ex engine uo real big?I would just do a port job piston pipe and a carb like i did on my 06 450r and i got 52hp out of it.

400ex28
10-27-2009, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by REDRON
I am interested in what it takes to make a crf450r engine work in these chassis.

A lot of fab work and welding, it can be done right and clean if you have the skills or you can just get an aftermarket frame and go from there, a lot more simple that way. both ways can get very expensive though. But for what your doing I would probably just get your suspension all setup good then build up the 400ex engine since they are bullet proof and last forever.

REDRON
10-27-2009, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by 400ex28
A lot of fab work and welding, it can be done right and clean if you have the skills or you can just get an aftermarket frame and go from there, a lot more simple that way. both ways can get very expensive though. But for what your doing I would probably just get your suspension all setup good then build up the 400ex engine since they are bullet proof and last forever.

yeah that is one of the reasons im picking the 400ex .What is the biggest big bore kit you can go on a 400ex that makes reliable power?My cross country 400ex back in the day had a 426 and it made decent power.I have always heard the 440s blow head gaskets all the time.Does anyone have any experience with walsh race craft arms ,swingarms and fox float shocks amd do the fox floats come in long travel?

REDRON
10-28-2009, 09:53 PM
Anyone else have any suggestions?