PDA

View Full Version : Updated Pics of my R - Dune Set Up!

danhung11
10-26-2009, 09:17 PM
So me a troybilt are heading to the dunes (Waynoka, OK) this weekend, weather permitting. I hate to say it but rainy dune trips just suck. I'm sharing pics of changes made to my R, specifically the front end, fourwerx carbon, and powerplant, pegs, etc...

It's a ProX 330R with a TRX5 Centermount, no air box. I upgraded from a ProX310. I can honestly say, this is the fastest feeling quad I have ever been on and I only got to dial it in a bit in my neighborhood, not really sure the neighbors enjoyed it but I did. :devil: It pulls through all the gears like a freight train. It seems geared low, so I will see how it feels in the sand before I buy a new chain. It's running 13/39, I had a 13/41 on my 265 and it launched good so I am thinking I will fairly close with a 330. Other than that, you should be able to make a parts list...BTW, we figured out a nice clean way to mount a 1986-87 highlight to aftermarket bars. I have to say thanks for Troy for his creative work! ;)

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd228/danhung11/100_1232.jpg

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd228/danhung11/100_1233.jpg

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd228/danhung11/100_1235.jpg

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd228/danhung11/100_1237.jpg

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd228/danhung11/100_1239.jpg

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd228/danhung11/100_1240.jpg

troybilt
10-26-2009, 09:19 PM
Dan, I check weather yesterday, we should be good. :macho

EDIT: one of the best looking R's I've ever seen!!!

danhung11
10-26-2009, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by troybilt
Dan, I check weather yesterday, we should be good. :macho

iPhone says 60 on Friday and 63 on Saturday! :devil: Hopefully it will be windy enough to make the sand like silk. :cool:

BTW - are you hawking me?? that was 2 minute reaction time! :p

TLR-Online
10-26-2009, 09:27 PM
Love the color combo. Very Clean!

troybilt
10-26-2009, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by danhung11
iPhone says 60 on Friday and 63 on Saturday! :devil: Hopefully it will be windy enough to make the sand like silk. :cool:

BTW - are you hawking me?? that was 2 minute reaction time! :p

Yep!... I'm sitting in a hotel in Denver scowering the web...

EDIT: BTW, I can't wait to see that thing run. It sounded badass in the garage last night when you cranked it up.

croat1
10-26-2009, 09:52 PM
dan
very nice. when you get a chance post some pics of what you are going to do to mount the 86/87 headlight on an aftermarket bars.

make sure you take some action shots this weekend

danhung11
10-26-2009, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by croat1
dan
very nice. when you get a chance post some pics of what you are going to do to mount the 86/87 headlight on an aftermarket bars.

make sure you take some action shots this weekend

It's not really hard, we used some extra Maier plastic mounts and two pieces of aluminum. It's really sturdy, however I want regular mount on my 1986 TRX.

I'll try to get some dragging next to some 4-strokes. I want to see how this thing compares...

312R1
10-26-2009, 10:24 PM
Looks great Dan...Almost as clean as mine..LOL Just playin. Very NICE!!

danhung11
10-26-2009, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by 312R1
Looks great Dan...Almost as clean as mine..LOL Just playin. Very NICE!!

I hear you on the cleaning, it's obsessive sometimes. :p Me and my bottle of simple green and mothers, makes a nice session in the garage.

Can't wait to rip on this thing in the sand, should be a thriller.

312R1
10-26-2009, 10:30 PM
I hear you on the cleaning, it's obsessive sometimes. :p Me and my bottle of simple green and mothers, makes a nice session in the garage.

Can't wait to rip on this thing in the sand, should be a thriller.

I know what you mean...After everyride I spend a few hours detailing mine. The wife just shakes her head, but the way I look at it is I have all the $$ in it I want it to stay REALLY nice!

Have fun this weekend...Wish I could ride.:(

twopump78
10-26-2009, 11:54 PM
just got back from there sunday it was awesome little cold thursday night... there were alot of people there. very windy also...

pdxbigfoot
10-27-2009, 01:15 AM
Its simply awesome!!!!
I also have the obsession with details. Your attention to detail is impeccable.
Im truly at a loss for words....in a nutshell....Amazing job!!!!

1promodfan
10-27-2009, 06:43 AM
Dan, you've got one of the sweetest looking 250R's out there. If I could get mine to look half that good I'd be satisfied.:D I really like the color combo you've got going on.:)

dustinshuler
10-27-2009, 07:06 AM
Dan, that thing is super nice. I understand the obsession thing. Just this morning I had to go to the basement to get a dvd for the kids and I just stoped to look at mine and admire the polish work I did last night.lol Hey, how about some pics of that 86 project? Again, BEAUTIFUL R man!!!

Dustin

Ruf Racing
10-27-2009, 07:50 AM
Nice build Dan, Have fun and be safe! :D :macho

mcboomport
10-27-2009, 01:19 PM
That thing is ridiculous.. sooo sick

Flyin_250r
10-27-2009, 03:24 PM
Dan,

Man that turned out sick. Nice job. Love how you pay attention to all the little details. Real nice finish on it.

I wish there was dunes closer to here! Keep us posted on how it goes!

maryland450r
10-27-2009, 03:24 PM
I agree!! That is definitely one of my top 3 favorite quads ever. I love it!

T_Bag
10-27-2009, 05:26 PM
That R is absolutley beautiful. I really like the color scheme.

10-27-2009, 06:35 PM
A very sweet 250R.

dtowndiesel
10-27-2009, 07:00 PM
it looks great, very unique! You'll love the 330, I like your case saver too. With all the unforunate part outs lately its good to see another bad a** 250R!!! Have fun on your trip, My friends and I will meet in the back corner and race to the entrance, all taking a different path, it gets intense and makes for some good stories around the campfire. Ride safe, stomp on some four strokes for me!

danhung11
10-27-2009, 07:34 PM
Just want to say thanks to the guys who inspired me to build this R! I agree, it's sad to see such high caliber machines being parted, but I guess if it came down to it I would part these for a roof over my head or food on the table...

Dustin - the 86 is coming along, pretty much have all my parts, just need to find time to devote. I hope to have it completely finished by spring with all new coating, plastic, shocks, etc. troybuilt is planning to redo his 89, so that should inspire me to get rolling on my 86. It's going to be setup for the woods, then off to the next project... I want a stable of them - there's several on here with awesome collections.

Steve - I don't know why, but my wife likes me at home in the garage working as well, she knows I am home safe. :D It's definitely a win-win us!

We'll see about them videos, I give his pinger hell out there though...

dtowndiesel
10-27-2009, 07:48 PM
thanks for the new screen saver

yellowzo3
10-28-2009, 03:57 PM
one of the prettiest r's ever! nice job! vids are mandatory :D

LONG-ROD
10-30-2009, 08:25 PM
Dan the R is sweet, nice job. Good to see a local R. also I noticed the rear motor mount is missing. Is that normal on Leager frames?

1promodfan
10-30-2009, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by LONG-ROD
Dan the R is sweet, nice job. Good to see a local R. also I noticed the rear motor mount is missing. Is that normal on Leager frames?

Thats an Arens frame.....I have one as well. Thats an '89 style frame, doesn't use the rear mounts.

LONG-ROD
10-30-2009, 09:41 PM
Why does Arens put leagers on the side of there frames?

1promodfan
10-30-2009, 10:27 PM
Why does Arens put leagers on the side of there frames?

That just looks like a personal touch that Dan put there.;)

troybilt
11-01-2009, 06:36 PM
Well, I can personally tell you that it is as fast as it looks. After we re-jetting for the cooler air, that thing freakin rips!!

Thanks Dan! That was my first 330 I've ever ridden and it was a blast... I can't wait to go back and ride again! :macho

danhung11
11-01-2009, 08:31 PM
Weekend was a great trip, no injuries no broken parts. We did gave a scare when we went for a ride when we arrived early Saturday morning. It was about 2am and one of my rear wheels decided to bale from the hub castle nut. Luckily, we found both spacers and nut in the sand. Unbelieveable!

The 330 definitely rips, it was pretty much neck and neck with a lot of the 450's, really depended on what mods were done. I plan to work on the gearing a bit for the next trip, 10 paddle extremes are a bit much but I think with minor gearing changes it could launch in 2nd as 1st gear is useless in the sand. troybilt and I raced all weekend long, his 450R has a full LRD Pipe, WebCam, and some other unknown and we were pretty much even, really depended on who could keep the front end down. I also outweigh him by about 30lbs. :)

No videos guys...it was just too little time to ride and there was only two of us.

Keeping the R alive.... now on to the next project. :devil: In the meantime, I will be counting the days until the next dune trip.

11-01-2009, 08:40 PM
No offense, but with a 330 I'm pretty sure you should have been beating most of the 450's, not been neck and neck with them.

danhung11
11-01-2009, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by 8686
No offense, but with a 330 I'm pretty sure you should have been beating most of the 450's, not been neck and neck with them.

No offense taken. I have a 38mm Air Stryker and TRX5 Centermount, it needs a bigger carb for sure, gearing adjustment, and possibly like a TRX9 or 11. I am not sure what porting is done on this motor, it feels like a MX port with the hit being so smooth. I did beat quite a few of the 450's out there, however I think weight difference is huge. I weigh about 255-260 with all the riding gear. Most riders out there are like 185lbs, that's a huge diffenrence. I think 9 paddles would be perfect, we'll see when I adjust the gearing. I also have a stock 88-89 swingarm and the front end is up in the air in 1st gear, a 2nd gear start is huge in a drag race. This bike is really set up for track, but is a hell of a duner for sure. Just not a full blown drag bike.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dan

troybilt
11-02-2009, 11:49 AM
I think just as we talked about 41 tooth rear sprocket, would help alot. I only rode the 330 with my Sand Stars on it, so can't comment on the 10 paddle Dominators, but my 450 with the 10 paddles were too much, for a launch. It was very noticeable. I've always prefered a 1st gear start, we'll see what a 2nd gear start will do for you. I think a little more fine tuning on the jetting would help too. The pilot seemed a little fat to me, when we were trail riding, but top end was insane like being shot out of a cannon.

My 450 is not a fair comparison either, cause like we mentioned we have no idea what is done to the top end, I need to tear into it this winter... That 330 was walking on most 450's when I watched you raced. But it definitely has a hard time keeping the front end down. That thing is light, even compared to my 89. I was doing 4th gear standing wheelies no problem.

Hey, if you sell that TRX5, I know someone that is in need of a pipe for a certain Sparks motor, been keeping my eye out for a sparks MXTT pipe... :D :D

Last thing I will say, it was drag racing, so who really gives a shyt... I wouldn't worry about an extended swinger or 40mm lectron. That bike will out handle just about anything out there, just the way it is. Unless you're wanting a drag bike...

I would like to point out that everyone that saw that bike spooged in their pants... it was ridiculous. :macho

11-02-2009, 05:42 PM
No offense taken. I have a 38mm Air Stryker and TRX5 Centermount, it needs a bigger carb for sure, gearing adjustment, and possibly like a TRX9 or 11. I am not sure what porting is done on this motor, it feels like a MX port with the hit being so smooth. I did beat quite a few of the 450's out there, however I think weight difference is huge. I weigh about 255-260 with all the riding gear. Most riders out there are like 185lbs, that's a huge diffenrence. I think 9 paddles would be perfect, we'll see when I adjust the gearing. I also have a stock 88-89 swingarm and the front end is up in the air in 1st gear, a 2nd gear start is huge in a drag race. This bike is really set up for track, but is a hell of a duner for sure. Just not a full blown drag bike.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dan

Definitely keep the TRX5 centermount. I'm not sure you would like the TRX9 or TRX11 better for the type of riding you are doing. It doesn't get much better than the pipe you're running. Good smooth power with above average top end for an "all around" pipe. Same thing with the carb, I don't think you need to go any bigger right now. The pipe and carb aren't really "holding you back". It seems this 250R is a duner for you so you don't want it to have a lightswitch powerband. I think you'll find a lot of potential in getting your jetting dialed in with that 38 A/S and playing with your gearing. With a 250R, you most definitely want to be able to launch in 2nd gear. Make what ever changes are necessary so you can do that. What is your gearing and jetting right now?

danhung11
11-02-2009, 07:29 PM
The centermount is one of my favorite pipes, no need to worry about melted plastics especially when you pay what Full Bore charges. I doubt I will let it go troybilt, but if I do you have first dibs. ;)

Here is my set up from intake block back...

K&N Filter with Outerwear - No Air Box
1986 Airboot
V-Force 3 Reeds with UPP Oversized Carb Adapter

Jetting is at 941 feet.... the place I had to get jets didn't have a 60 pilot, only a 58 and 65. It had a 55 pilot in there. I ended up with a 65 pilot and a 195 main. The main felt really good, however it was a bit fat on the pilot, however you know how sand is...you just let the bike drink with no limits. I didn't want to risk this fresh motor with a 58 pilot making it too lean. Keep in mind, the temperature changes from day, afternoon, night, was very drastic. Friday night it was mid-upper 30's and days were like 70's and anywhere in between, so 40 degree in temperature variation really puts a damper on fine tuning. My needle is set in the middle position with 2.25 turns out on the air/fuel screw.

Thanks!
Dan

danhung11
11-02-2009, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by croat1
when you get a chance post some pics of what you are going to do to mount the 86/87 headlight on an aftermarket bars.

Here is some pictures of how I mounted my 86/87 style headlight, it worked great and was nice to aim the headlight where you turn the bars. It really helped a lot when riding at night. The mounts on the bottom of the light were actually surplus Maier fender mounts, troybilt and I used some aluminum pieces with holes drilled in, pretty simple. Sorry for the crappy pics, but you get the point.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd228/danhung11/photo.jpg

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd228/danhung11/photo2.jpg

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd228/danhung11/photo3.jpg

red88r
11-02-2009, 08:54 PM
very nicely done. extremely clean r. love the green fenders! never did a green one yet. blue,grey,red,yellow,white,orange, but the green really pops. once you get that 330 dialed in you'll really love it. 450's and banshees won't have a chance. lol

justabanshee
11-04-2009, 06:25 PM
very nice and clean

matt14c
11-04-2009, 06:30 PM
What kind of radiator overfill bottle is that?

danhung11
11-04-2009, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by matt14c
What kind of radiator overfill bottle is that?

I replied to your email incorrectly, it's off a Polaris Predator. Walsh RC sells them complete with all pieces, including the rubber grommets and bolts for about $45 (I think). If you piece it together, you are looking to close to spending around the same.

Here's a link I priced it out at. It's defintely a better setup than OEM, no sense is running hose all the way to the back. Plus you can you look over to see if it is spewing out of your radiator or not.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/cheapcycleparts/Polaris_OEM/PolarisATV.asp?Type=13&A=394&B=8

Hope this helps.

Dan

LONG-ROD
11-07-2009, 06:39 PM
Man your at a 58 piolet. thats seems big. I am at sea level and I run a 50 piolet and 178 main dgh middle notch. now that it is cooler. and a 45 in the summer. I will end up at 188 on the main come winter Im not at 330 so I know there is a difference. but all else is the same. I run a trx 9 and it is not a little switch. but mid to top will pull your arms off. I cant wait to get it in the sand this spring.

danhung11
11-07-2009, 07:03 PM
Man your at a 58 piolet. thats seems big. I am at sea level and I run a 50 piolet and 178 main dgh middle notch. now that it is cooler. and a 45 in the summer. I will end up at 188 on the main come winter Im not at 330 so I know there is a difference. but all else is the same. I run a trx 9 and it is not a little switch. but mid to top will pull your arms off. I cant wait to get it in the sand this spring.

Thanks for the input, however the jettings been updated. There's just to many variables. I think a 62 pilot would be perfect with a 195 main.

It runs real good, and I would rather run fat inthe sand.

norcalduner
11-07-2009, 09:33 PM
I ride the dunes exactly at sea level at Pismo Beach, CA with your average 60-70 degree Cali weather and the jetting on my 350 is exactly like Dan's. Main at 195, pilot at 62, dgh needle at middle clip on a 38 a/s with a trx5 centermount. I could probably run a 190 main but like Dan said, I would also rather run fat in the sand.

LONG-ROD
11-08-2009, 04:07 PM
so the bigger motor really needs that much bigger of a main jet ? and piolet.

derby
11-08-2009, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the input, however the jettings been updated. There's just to many variables. I think a 62 pilot would be perfect with a 195 main.

It runs real good, and I would rather run fat inthe sand.

I have a ct350 with mx port and ride at little sahara. 39mm pwk 185 main, 55 pilot and it is on the rich side but for hard dune ridding where I run the bike non-stop it works well. Just to give you some reference my drag 370 runs a 180 main, with 55 pilot there also.

honda4traxx87
11-09-2009, 10:52 PM
WHAT RADIATOR SCOOPS ARE THOSE? FREAKN SWEET!

danhung11
11-09-2009, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by honda4traxx87
WHAT RADIATOR SCOOPS ARE THOSE? FREAKN SWEET!

Full Bore Innovations. Thanks for the compliments!;)

Dan

FW_cArBoN
11-10-2009, 01:09 PM
Looks Killer Dan!!! You and Little Sahara don't mix well with keeping your tires on do you! ;)

~Jay

danhung11
11-10-2009, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by FW_cArBoN
Looks Killer Dan!!! You and Little Sahara don't mix well with keeping your tires on do you! ;)

~Jay

Thanks buddy! I need a hood for my 86, no CF all red fiberglass. ;)

You down for a dune trip in the Spring?

Dan

FW_cArBoN
11-10-2009, 02:20 PM
I'd love to make it down with you guys again! I'll be keeping in touch with you and will let you know. Also, we'll be in touch on the painted parts for your bike!

Thanks bro, Jay

danhung11
11-10-2009, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by FW_cArBoN
I'd love to make it down with you guys again! I'll be keeping in touch with you and will let you know. Also, we'll be in touch on the painted parts for your bike!

Thanks bro, Jay

awesome Jay! Looking forward to riding one of your KTM's. When you have time, I'd love to have a red hood just like the one I got from you. ;)

Dan

havinnoj
11-11-2009, 03:41 PM
Lookin good Dan!