PDA

View Full Version : Is there Long travel rear set up's for the 400ex

OutlawEX
01-15-2003, 04:02 PM
I just wanted to know if there was a long travel shock made for the 400ex..or any rear long travel set up made for the EX rear end:confused:

Sick0
01-15-2003, 04:20 PM
I think Rolls design make one.

RiPPiNiTuP7
01-15-2003, 04:23 PM
I heard it didn't work out too well?

Predator36
01-15-2003, 07:08 PM
Yes, JB racing just completed a CR500 link combo on a 400ex/450f chassis.

01-15-2003, 07:25 PM
Yes, JB racing just completed a CR500 link combo on a 400ex/450f chassis. Do you have any info on this? Does it work well or right? how much additional travel? any top mount mods needed? and lastly has it been tested with any speific shocks?

Thanx

trx400ex
01-15-2003, 07:30 PM
Roll doesnt make one, the only long travel there is (unless like someone said something new just came out) is the axis LT shock where you have to move your upper mount up and inch...evrybody that has it likes it, i havent been able to ride on mine so i dont know yet

forum
01-15-2003, 09:37 PM
RiPPiNiTuP7 I heard it didn't work out too well?

So misinformed.

Outlaw. custom axis in cunjunction with baldwin were one of the first to do it. but as you now both companys will charge you an arm and a leg. and baldwin wont tell you what to do(move shock mount up 1-2 inches)

Well I called up elka and talked to Yann about it. he said, no he can't recal anything like this but we would build me a custom shock (just a little longer) for less then 50 dollars more then the standard 400ex rear shock. OR maybe even the same price! and still have it to me in two weeks.

Im doing the modification myself. Im going to move the shockmount up just under 2 inches. that way the little bit of slack can be made up in the swingarm. (not quite totaly made up cause thats bad) Aparently this setup its awsome. ALso cr500 linkage can't be used on a 400ex due to the airbox and silencer position. Or so i heard. don't qoute me on that

forum
01-15-2003, 09:40 PM
Yes, JB racing just completed a CR500 link combo on a 400ex/450f chassis.

sorry predator i didn't read that. Cause i no that you know your stuff. but. hmmm. that must be the first to be realised or maybe its... im not sure what to say now.

trx400ex
01-16-2003, 02:10 PM
forum the shock brand new from axis is only 750 and the mount is moved up exactly an inch.

Dave400ex
01-16-2003, 02:35 PM
Hey for you guys interested in the JB setup I would call Hetrick Racing. They could hook you up and even give you JB's phone number so you can talk to him....

forum
01-16-2003, 06:29 PM
750 without rebound. and if you want rebound they use the stupid little knob that takes up travel. elka uses the same this as a stock ex rebound adjuster is

01-16-2003, 11:29 PM
Im doing the modification myself. Im going to move the shockmount up just under 2 inches.

forum the shock brand new from axis is only 750 and the mount is moved up exactly an inch.

Hmmmm Maybe we need to clear up the "exact" amount.

Ok once this is figured out what about how it all changes the suspension geometry? Is it going to sit much lower? how about weight bias? Pre load requirements etc.

Any info is appreciated.

trx400ex
01-17-2003, 05:37 AM
my measurements come out to an inch longer shock and an inch higher mount...i would think it would sit about the same if not exactly, but when theres load on t it might sit diffrent.. i really have no idea

Sick0
01-17-2003, 06:52 AM
I'm sorry thats I misinformed about the Roll design combo. I just though if I had spent like 1600 bucks for a swingarm and shock it would be long travel.

Anyways Ask Bigbore about the long traval with 1in high shock set up. He had it done his last 400ex. He said it was a good setup, It made a big diffrence I geuss. I was think about doing it but I'm broke right now, and just want to get 400ex back to gather.

Pro400EXC
01-17-2003, 09:21 AM
I belive John Aren's said that there really isn't any advantage to the CR500 rear link set-up..?

smith
01-17-2003, 11:43 AM
pro400exc is correct, the cr500 offers no advantage, it all goes back to Laeger doing it on his own bike because he had the linkage laying around from when he used the cr500 motor for another project. Simply put, a gimick that has sold in great numbers and people think it's better to justify the money that they just spent!

Also, Elka is working on a long travel set-up right now also. They will be offering it in 2 different versions depending on your existing setup that you are using.

01-17-2003, 12:23 PM
Also, Elka is working on a long travel set-up right now also. They will be offering it in 2 different versions depending on your existing setup that you are using.

I keep hearing that Elka is working with more than one frame mfg etc but I dont seem to hear anything about what or when this will be a reallity

trx400ex
01-17-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Sick0
I'm sorry thats I misinformed about the Roll design combo. I just though if I had spent like 1600 bucks for a swingarm and shock it would be long travel.

Anyways Ask Bigbore about the long traval with 1in high shock set up. He had it done his last 400ex. He said it was a good setup, It made a big diffrence I geuss. I was think about doing it but I'm broke right now, and just want to get 400ex back to gather.

I have bigbores frame and shock! Roll should be long travel but its not.

Dave400ex
01-17-2003, 03:34 PM
440EX4me, Elka is working with Arens for Suspension, but I don't know if they are making an LT rear or not....

Extremeracer167
01-17-2003, 04:41 PM
i have the LT rear setup. Axis does not charge anything extra for the LT shock. 775 is what they charge for the standard shock, and the Long Travel. I personally LOVE the LT setup. Does it sit lower? It depends on what kind of shock u had b4. Yes it sits ALOT lower then stock. But was there a differance in sag between my reg. axis shock and the LT? Not really. I am running about 5 1/2 inches of sag. And yes it sits VERY low. My TC shorty is about even with the back tire if that helps u out at all.

Davids440ex
01-17-2003, 09:06 PM
heres is some long travel rear set up i got these pics form yahoo groups 400ex

Davids440ex
01-17-2003, 09:07 PM

Davids440ex
01-17-2003, 09:08 PM

01-17-2003, 09:55 PM
Davids440ex , thanx good pics

Extreme, I guess I was thinking that thehigher lounting position would allow the frame to sit a little lower but could be wrong, never thought about it all that hard lol.

Does the rear with the LT realy get as plush as the LT fronts? I guess thats what I am really after.

01-17-2003, 10:17 PM
But how plushy is that 440 laying on it's back like a turtle on a dirt road?? LMAO!!!

When you planing on coming back up again? Some dude at carters offered me a peice of beef jerky that had a bite mark in it...and the strippers are gone, have been for months...must be out wandering the land looking for a baseball hat and a hankey...LoL

01-17-2003, 10:34 PM
Man I wish that were a dirt road, ouch.

Missed ya last sunday.

And yes its still plush rubber side up :)

440ex kid
03-16-2003, 01:14 PM
So all the pros run a cr500 link just cuz some dude had it lyin around his shop?

03-16-2003, 01:54 PM
So all the pros run a cr500 link just cuz some dude had it lyin around his shop?

Funny stuff but seems to be true :)

Now I am just wondering if anyone is gonna "come clean" on all this bling :D :devil :eek2:

Mxbubs
03-16-2003, 01:59 PM
I am researching this hard as we speak.

Been on the phone alot with Brad Herrmann, we are thinking about making it just like the LSR no link setup, moving the stock airbox, and maybe the mount.

03-16-2003, 02:19 PM
Been on the phone alot with Brad Herrmann, we are thinking about making it just like the LSR no link setup, moving the stock airbox, and maybe the mount.
Sounds like a lot of mods or fabrication to set that one up. Why not just mfg new pieces for the linkage that move the shock mount as far as needed?

Extremeracer167
03-16-2003, 05:15 PM
Well i finally got my first "MAJOR RIDE" with the LT Fronts and LT Rears. WOW!!! I have been riding with the LT rear for a little while, but having the LT setup on the front is amazing just like the rear. Talk about being able to rail a corner:eek2:

And yes the CR500 link is a gimmick. It offers no distinctive advantage! Now switching to a no-link rear would be a nice setup, but i highly doubt its gonna happen. The no-link will be better on the "bigger" hits that the rear end takes. BUT it will be a more harsh ride through the little bumps.

Mxbubs
03-16-2003, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by 440EX4me
Sounds like a lot of mods or fabrication to set that one up. Why not just mfg new pieces for the linkage that move the shock mount as far as needed?

I am taking all advice!

Please keep it coming.

03-17-2003, 03:41 AM
The no-link will be better on the "bigger" hits that the rear end takes. BUT it will be a more harsh ride through the little bumps. Wouldnt want that now. Keep it plush as possible.

I am taking all advice! Be carefull what you ask for :D

I have thought about this a few times and I keep going back to the linkage. there has to be a way to fabricate the swing arm so it would accept a longer linkage set up that would have a shock mount that would be moved rearward enough to accept a longer shock. How this will all effect the operation of the linkage is yet unforseen, at least by me.

nacs400ex
03-17-2003, 02:22 PM
I find all this hard to believe. Usually all the pros are running stuff because it works better? Why would they just use a CR500 link because some dude did it. I think they are a little smarter than that. Doesnt it cost more money to use a CR500 link? I am new on all this suspension mumble jumble. So I am trying to learn here.

Thanks
Craig Hendriks

Pro400EXC
03-18-2003, 04:19 AM
They use the CR500 rear linkage because they can,and they want to, and have money to blow,so why not blow it? Liek me for instance,I didn't need the platinum Flux Capacitator because my gold one is better,but i liked the word platinum,and wanted to blow my money on it...ok?

capeesh?

So thats why they use it...hehe

Extremeracer167
03-18-2003, 04:46 AM
well put it this way, Axis, PEP, Leager, Roll, all of them will make more money if they sell a CR style setup. So why wouldnt they give there BIG NAMED SPONSORED RIDERS that product to advertise. Ppl see the cr linkage on creechs quad, so what are they gonna do. They are gonna call Leager and PEP and tell them that they want the CR linkage which now both companies just made more money just cause there pros run that setup. Make sense??