PDA

View Full Version : Shock Adjustment

CJM
10-26-2009, 05:00 PM
I believe I have stock 400ex shocks on my 00 EX, however is there a way to adjust them? Specially the front shock, but the rear is to soft too. Seems they are adjusted for someone who weighed much less than 175lbs.

I cant figure it out at all and they are WAY TOO soft. As in so soft I can push down the the frontend with ease and if ride the quad if I hit the throttle even a bit I can feel the frontend moving up and down.

My biggest gear is they are blown or something?

Ideas/answers? Im stumped. And yea I searched before you ask.

matt14c
10-26-2009, 05:30 PM
Your stock rear is adjustable and can messed with a little. There is a screw next to the oil canister that you can adjust. Also if you get a spanner wrench you can tighten the spring down. On a 2000 you should have it recharged and looked over though. The fronts are maybe the worst factory shocks ever put on anything! The only adjustment I would make is removing them and finding some others. Stock Honda 450r and yam. yfz450 front shocks are very nice and cheap upgrades. My stock 400 front shocks were blown less than one year of owning it so I would be shocked if after 9 years yours arent!

trailrider894
10-26-2009, 07:01 PM
The only adjustment I would make is removing them and finding some others.

this is untrue..... there is a preload adjustment on the front shocks. though i agree they are the worst factory shocks to ever be seen on a dedicated sport atv. the preload adjustment is sat the bottom of the shock. tighten it up and it should work a little bit better for you.

CJM
10-26-2009, 07:47 PM
Ok ill give it a shot, there is a nut or something I gotta tighten? Im not near the atv atm and wont be for like a week.

I might look into doing 450R shocks, they are a simple mod it seems.

camaromitch
10-26-2009, 09:15 PM
Check out the second pic (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-TRX400ex-TRX-400ex-Rear-Shock-450r-Blaster_W0QQitemZ360191053739QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMo tors_ATV_Parts_Accessories?hash=item53dd0f4fab)

It is an eBay pic so it will be unavailable soon, but this is what you will be looking for when you get back to your quad. The spanner wrench is a wrench that will fit the slots on those 2 narrow nuts. Tighten them up and that will make the spring tighter even if the shock is junk.

slightlybent47
10-27-2009, 06:56 PM
CJM

I wore out my stock front shocks in one year so yours are most likly shot.
Get you a set of 450 front shocks and that will be the cheepest way to fix them.
Also the 450 shock can be rebuilt and the spring rate can be set more to your lbs.
The 450 shocks can also be adjusted both rebound and compression.

CJM
10-27-2009, 06:58 PM
Cool, thanks for the help guys.

Probably gonna get a set of 450R shocks sooner or later. Got a bunch of other stuff to pay off atm.

trailrider894
10-27-2009, 10:10 PM
man just take your time... 450 shocks are the way to go...