PDA

View Full Version : Could use a little help here guys...

tri5ron
10-26-2009, 01:33 PM
I need some advise for choosing a quad for my son.

as many of you already know, Nickolas is 10 years old, and has Down Syndrome. He has a little bit of seat time on a small 50cc Chinese Kazuma.
He has done ok on it around camp, and is just too big for it now. He is not going to be doing any wild trail rides for a while yet, but He REALLY likes it, and wants to ride more.

I bought a trx90 for his sister last summer, and she is doing great on it. He wants to try and ride hers, but I want to get him his own quad, that he fits on better than the 50.

I'd like to get some advise on decent used quads in the 80 - 90 cc range, and for him I'd like it to be fully automatic. (no shifting gears).

so the criteria that I'd like to shoot towards is:

4 stroke, 90ish cc
Fully automatic tranny
Green sticker only
Foot brake
Throttle limiter
Front and rear suspension

and I will probably be installing a remote kill switch too, that I can operate from my quad while teaching him.

It does not need to be the newest, latest, greatest thing out there, and can even be a little older.

It does not necessarily need to be a full sport quad either. It could be a more utv type, OR a atv type.

I've got about $900 to spend, and want a dependable machine.

so what would you guys, that have alot of experience, around the various brands of smaller quads,...
suggest that I focus my search towards ???

Thanks,
-Ron

tyler70t
10-26-2009, 05:09 PM
The Polaris quads are nice, we used to have a Predator 90 and it was really easy for Tyler to ride. Maybe a sportsman 90, but in the 900 dollar range it will probably be a little older so they were 2 strokes.....Jeff

nastynotchback1
10-26-2009, 06:47 PM
you should be able to buy a nice used 90cc e-ton and they have remote kill,tether kill,and adjustable cdi to limit the speed

Coley'sdad#8
10-26-2009, 06:51 PM
WITH THE 900$ DEAL OUT OF THE QUESTION HAVE YOU THOUGHT ABOUT ONE OF THE NEWER SMALL SIZE UTV'S, SEATBELT, ELECTRIC START, TETHER KILL, ROLL CAGE, JUST ANOTHER OPTION.
sorry typed in CAPS, didn't look until done:D

tri5ron
10-26-2009, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the replies so far guys, and please keep them coming.

I've got some time to find one, it dosen't have to be right now.

The piggy bank for this, basically tops out at $1000-$1100, and I figure it will probably need at least some TLC.

I just need to learn which brands/models are full auto, 4 stroke, green stickered,...
and around the same size as a TRX90, (could be a little smaller),but no bigger physically.

He would be just as happy on a Foreman/Rincon styled quad, as a Racer styled Sport quad.
It will either come with full running boards, or I will be installing full sized nerfs.
He will not be doing any jumps, he will not be doing any slides or donuts for a long time.

Nickolas will be slow to learn on it, and will probably only spend short amounts of time on it, staying very near our campsite.
He will not be interested in going out on 10 mile loops, and when we do that, he rides on the back of my 400ex.

I have a large rear rack, and a large cargo bag, that makes for a nice rear seat that keeps him contained very well.
(heck, it's like he's riding on the back of a big Goldwing Touring Bike LOL!)

here's a pic of him on the little 50......

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/Fathers%20Day%202009/IMG_9877.jpg

and here's one of him kickin' it on the rear of mine...
(he's quite happy to hang out with Dad, and let me do all the work, while he sits back suckin' on a gatorade, LOL!)

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/Fathers%20Day%202009/IMG_9908.jpg

Coley'sdad#8
10-27-2009, 05:11 AM
yeah it looks like he is ready for a larger one:) another thing to remember is that you have about 1k but you also have the little zuki to sell and it is almost x-mas, the best time to sell!!!!!!!!!!
Looks like a cool riding spot and he looks like he has a blast with dad.

nastynotchback1
10-27-2009, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by Coley'sdad#8
yeah it looks like he is ready for a larger one:) another thing to remember is that you have about 1k but you also have the little zuki to sell and it is almost x-mas, the best time to sell!!!!!!!!!!
Looks like a cool riding spot and he looks like he has a blast with dad.

Looks like a china knock off.400.00 new at the most.

tri5ron
10-27-2009, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by nastynotchback1
Looks like a china knock off.400.00 new at the most. Yes, it is a Chinese quad. not worth much, but might try to sell it anyway.

Can you guys give me a list of 4 stroke, full auto tranny quads?

nordic quad
10-27-2009, 01:05 PM
Some of these are 4strokes,covers a lot of your options.:D

http://www.atvsport.com/output.cfm?id=1700119

tri5ron
10-27-2009, 03:18 PM
Thanks Nordic Quad,
That's exactally the kind of list I was hoping for.
now does anyone have a list of the Utility types ?

Whitfield
10-27-2009, 09:08 PM
Yamaha Breeze 125cc Shaft drive. Mild Mellow Dependable and Yamaha Quality + Low maintenance.

here is one on ebay (Not me)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamaha-Breeze-YFA1N-2001-Yamaha-Breeze_W0QQitemZ230391954860QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_ motorcycles?hash=item35a46e3dac#v4-35

This is a Used 2001 Yamaha Breeze powered by a 124cc four-stroke engine and is the only small-size four-stroke ATV with a fully automatic transmission! It is a great machine for young riders to start out on to learn the basics of ATV riding. It is equipped with an easy to use electric starter and it has lights for night time riding.

or

They made a 80cc 4-stroke shaft drive Moto 4