PDA

View Full Version : 250R break-in

sly400ex
01-15-2003, 03:07 PM
I'm going to be breaking in my new .020 piston and rings on my bike soon. What would be the best break-in procedure? What mix ratio should I run for the breakin? What ratio for normal use? I've heard consistently anywhere from 32:1 - 50:1. I plan on using klotz btw......;)

4TraxRider
01-15-2003, 03:40 PM
Use a richer ratio, like 20:1 for a tank full and keep it down witht the throttle. After a tank it is usually good to go. Good luck!

wilkin250r
01-15-2003, 05:19 PM
Do not use a synthetic oil for break-in.

nuttynewt
01-16-2003, 09:03 AM
I have always been told to break it in with the ratio and oil you will be running. I know some of the synthetics are different, however. Klotz should be fine, although I personally run Champion Water Pumper 32:1. You should try it. I used to run Klotz until my mechanic showed me several pistons from bikes/ATVs that ran WP. Clean as a whistle. So once I started running WP, I couldn't believe the difference in performance, either. My R revs much quicker, never stumbles, and idles much better than when I ran Klotz at 32:1. He swears by WP, and now I do, too. Plus, its about $30 a gallon.

The break in procedure I use is:

Run at idle or low rpms in neutral until the head gets warmed up.
Then shut it down and allow it to completely cool. Do this 3-4 times.

Run in neutral while varying the throttle, up to about half until the head warms up. Allow your quad to completely cool down in between. Do this twice.

Ride your quad easily, keeping it under half throttle, until the head/ pipe warms up. This doesn't take very long, the engine is under load. Allow your quad to completely cool down in between, do this twice.

Now ride it easy for about an hour, always varying the throttle, and not keeping it pinned for more than 5 seconds or so at a time.
Shut her down and let her cool.

Now ride the piss out of it!

Good luck!:D

airheadedduner
01-16-2003, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Do not use a synthetic oil for break-in.

Very important and good point.

CT sent me a break in sheet that I kinda condensed.

Idle till you get to operating temps, let cool down till stone cold and retorque cylinder base and head. Do 3 times.

Then run for 40 min not going past 1/2 throttle and verying the thorttle. Let cool, retorque.

There was a lot more to it but that is all I do and have had not probs.