PDA

View Full Version : necessary to replace crank???

WB450r
10-25-2009, 07:54 PM
ive had my 05 450r since the beginning of 06 and im now getting my motor rebuilt..
piston, cam, port & polish, full exhaust, etc..

the guy im taking my motor to recommends on getting a new crank..

do i need to get a new crank or not??
btw its gunna be a stock crank

deathman53
10-25-2009, 09:20 PM
I know of a shop that only does older top ends w/ a new crank. They said, that they have seen better than 1/2 get grenaded because of the worn crank and causing more damage. It happened to one motor of mine, 03 crf450r motor.

speedfreek
10-26-2009, 06:50 PM
There are specs that you are supposed to measure before you determine whether or not something is needed.

cosinostra
10-26-2009, 08:33 PM
Cheap to do it now considering the consequences later.....

WB450r
10-26-2009, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by cosinostra
Cheap to do it now considering the consequences later.....

yeah i dropped my motor off the other day im gettin a new crank

spanky101
10-27-2009, 07:43 AM
Good call. If your going to drop all of this money into a new motor it only makes sense to go with a new crank. The new motor is going to make tons more power and thats more stress on that used crank and its cheaper to replace it now then when it goes boom!

speedfreek
10-28-2009, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by speedfreek
There are specs that you are supposed to measure before you determine whether or not something is needed. Have yall ever heard of measuring side to side clearance and up and down? If the crank specs out ok, WHY CHANGE IT?

WB450r
10-28-2009, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by speedfreek
Have yall ever heard of measuring side to side clearance and up and down? If the crank specs out ok, WHY CHANGE IT?

and wht r the specs..

headache
10-31-2009, 12:02 PM
i'd change it while its apart! especially if your going to put a higher compression piston and aftermarket cam.

tommygunnz
11-06-2009, 06:57 PM
go with the hotrod crank and sell the stock one on ebay to get some of the money back the Hotrod crank will hold up better with a built motor and ur obviously building it up to go sick:mad:

gimp419
11-07-2009, 10:34 AM
We won't put a 04/05 honda together with a high comp piston and a stock crank. The stock cranks have a weak point and tend to throw the thrust washer under the stress of the high comp piston. When that washer goes it's been known to take out the cases. The hot rod crank is the way to go on the Hondas.

WB450r
11-07-2009, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by gimp419
We won't put a 04/05 honda together with a high comp piston and a stock crank. The stock cranks have a weak point and tend to throw the thrust washer under the stress of the high comp piston. When that washer goes it's been known to take out the cases. The hot rod crank is the way to go on the Hondas.

yeah the guy i took my motor to wont build motors without putting a new crank in

smw450r
11-07-2009, 05:49 PM
wait on the wiseco crank they had the same problem as the oem cranks trust me my crank went after 9 tanks and it was a brand new wiseco one they are redesigning them and they will be out this month

gimp419
11-09-2009, 08:55 AM
If I'm not mistaken there is a new super-seeded (sp?) part number from honda for a newer style OEM crank that has this problem taken care of. May check into that one as well. Kinda funny just goes to show that Honda knew there was an issue but instead of issuing a recall they just fixed the part. Be pretty expensive putting new cranks in every 04/05 out there :devil:

deathman53
11-09-2009, 11:27 AM
recalls are done like so, they estimate the amount of money it is to fix the motor(or lawsuit), rate of failure and how many are out there. Then they estimate the amount of money it is to fix it(or lawsuit) times how many units there out there(possible cases). And the lower number wins. Its a universal equation that applies to car, motorcycle, consumer goods and everything sold to the general public. Look at the suzuki/kawi z/kfx400, they knew about the frame bending from minor crashes and didn't recall it, if you bring in the bike w/ bent frame from a minor crash and scream, you will get it fixed for free. They even updated the frame and people who bought a new one, easily saw the differences. I just got a recall for my 13yr old truck, something about the cruise control and leaking master cylinder. Ford knew about the problem for all these years(I heard it from a ford tech I rode with, along with the cam sensor(recall in 08), its either the equation worked out to replace all units or ntsb(or the car/truck unit) stepped in forced it.