PDA

View Full Version : car audio question...downfiring vs. frontfiring subs

trx400EXtreme
10-25-2009, 02:47 PM
im gonna change my setup in my truck and have been trying to figure out if i want a down firing or front friring box. it was be under my back seet is it helps. is one better than the other as far as sound quality, output, etc?

tar
10-25-2009, 03:49 PM
I have a downfire box and I am really happy with it. I think they sound better than FF boxes

muddy400EX
10-25-2009, 04:12 PM
downfire will prolly sound a little better, and may seem louder because of it vibrating off the floor. and you wont have to worry about them being kicked

trx400EXtreme
10-25-2009, 04:28 PM
that was the one thing that made me want a downfire box was the fact that the subs are proctected.

bobizzle
10-25-2009, 05:08 PM
it depends on the subs you are running, if you want them vented or sealed, if you want quality or quantity. the down fire are nice, but if you have a long excursion speaker, then the surround rubs on the carpet in the truck and causes holes. if its front fired, then ppl can hit them. i know someone with two 10's vented, ff, and it sonds great, and he had two 12's ff sealed before them. the downfires are good, but the low bass, 20-40 hz is cut out some facing carpet, but when facing the metal floor, you gain decibels. my personal opinion is a ff box, with the speakers mounted flush, and a grill over them, that way the speakers are protected to the fullest.

trx400EXtreme
10-25-2009, 05:18 PM
what if i got a custom fit downfire and ported the box in the front?

muddy400EX
10-25-2009, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by trx400EXtreme
what if i got a custom fit downfire and ported the box in the front?

that would be really cool if you could get one to work

and like he said make sure the lip of the box is longer than the speakers coil excursion, or else they will be tappin the floor.

i had a downfire box in my old truck with w1's. it sounded clean but the box had hardly any airspace so it wasnt real loud. but the same subs and same amp in a big box in my firebird are like totally different subs, they slam pretty hard.

so make sure you got enough air space in your box

bobizzle
10-26-2009, 09:28 PM
that would be superb in my opinion, they might have to be 10's if ported. you might not be able to do ported 12, but tens sound better in a truck, in my opinion. also, what kind of truck do you have, make model and year, if you don't mind, i would like to ponder on some calculations.