PDA

View Full Version : fuel filter questions...

jcs003
10-25-2009, 12:05 PM
i have never ran a fuel filter in my bikes and i keep hearing to do it and top ends will last longer.

do you guys run a fuel filter?

what would you recommend?

and any other pertinent info would be good. thanks

FL-R
10-25-2009, 12:39 PM
Someone told me not to run them on the Rs, it will lean em out on top end

brokenmike
10-26-2009, 06:31 AM
I never had a problem with a fuel filter on my R's... I use those small filters with the goldish looking stone in them.

Honda 250r 001
10-26-2009, 08:04 AM
The only filter i would run would be as big as my fist. If your running a stock carb you will be fine but when you go bigger more fuel has to get to the carb and filters slow the flow greatly. You could loose a top end trying to save it with a filter.

keep your gas containers clean and you will be fine.

86 Quad R
10-26-2009, 09:04 AM
i use the round type that you would find at the local mower shop/supply. its twin stainless steel mesh provides great filtration. its clear and allows you to detect water in the system. i've used the other type with the stones only to find that they vibrate apart eventually.

http://www.sudco.com/images/visufilters.gif

IcutMetl
10-27-2009, 07:49 PM
When I put my R back together, I put in one of those small, clear "stone" type filters. Doesn't seem to do any harm, and at an idle, it's not completely full of fuel, so I don't think it's backed up at all or starving the motor. I did have to put a small zip strip on either end of it though- doesn't fit as tight in the fuel line as I would have liked.

mxduner
10-27-2009, 11:55 PM
When replacing mine, clear mesh type, i have spotted that fine sand from the dunes. Shes not a wide open whaler, but a 310 anyhow