PDA

View Full Version : How To Make A Reliable Stoker

tdub400ex08
10-25-2009, 08:45 AM
I am looking to turn my 08 400ex into a 460 stroker using the Trinity Racing kit. I plan on using the 11:1 piston which I was told by Trinity would actually be closer to 11.5:1. They tell me that it will run on 93 pump gas but I'm a little concerned as I heard 11:1 is about as high as you can go. What do you think? How high to go with pump gas?

Now to the real question, I what to build as much reliability into it a possible and I 'm not looking for the highest hp machine out there, here is what I'm thinking, it may be overkill but I would like it to be as close to stock reliability as possible. By the way I have doing a lot of reading on the boards so I hope I have everything right. Please tell me what you think.

With the Trinity 460 kit I will add:
HD head studs
Earls 7.75x8.25x2 oil cooler setup like fst kit
HD timing chain
Cryo Treat whole engine and transmission
Edelbrock 440 Carb
minor port and polish
kibble valves and springs
mild cam (not sure what yet)
Curtis sparks intake kit and x-6 exhaust
Curtis Sparks clutch kit
ens air box lid

Do you Think this will be reliable? Any suggestions? People 440's, 500's, and other big bores who have had them for a long time what problems have you had?

odog
10-25-2009, 09:28 AM
from those mods it looks ok i have similar mods on mines some people use a spal fan and a bigger oil tank i havent done that yet the only thing about the 460 kit it takes a long time to break it in i would say at least 15 hours. it just gets faster and faster. i had to learn the hard way

TRXRacer1
10-25-2009, 10:58 AM
I'm blown away that Trinity really thinks suggesting 93 octane is a smart idea. That's not going to help reliability at all with this setup and you'll never run it to it's full potential.

tdub400ex08
10-25-2009, 11:05 AM
What is a good compression to run if you want to stay with 93 premium gas. When you say full potential are you talking about power or the motor lasting a long time?

togup
10-25-2009, 07:57 PM
If you are worried about it drop down the compression to 10.5-1 then you can run pump gas and have reliability. I personaly like the race gas and have never had reliability issues. The only thing that bothers me is your timing chain,dont skimp you should buy the crf 450 chain.

katch26
10-26-2009, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by togup
The only thing that bothers me is your timing chain,dont skimp you should buy the crf 450 chain.

Its my understanding that the HD chain (like what GTthunder offers) is just an upcharged repackaged 450 chain

togup
10-26-2009, 08:01 PM
yea i like GT Thunder i got the head studs and a pair of +3 a arms from them,but i was refering to the Ebay specials from china that stretch ,know what i mean.