PDA

View Full Version : brake light questions

bigbad400
10-25-2009, 08:08 AM
i have a honda brake light switch and im not having much luck finding a light assembly that i like so i was thinking about FOR NOW putting my tail light on the switch with just on and off, on when i hit the brake. off durring riding and ill get some 1 inch marker lights for the rear when im riding in the dark.

my question is can someone show me what i have to do to make my stock light be a switched brake light?

what about just getting the bulb harness itself and cutting the hole to fit a light bulb harness thats already a 3 wire light?

and last but not least have yall saw them helmet LED light strips that wire into your brakes? kida cool but.... just not sure.

any help would be real cool guys. thanks in advance.

tri5ron
10-25-2009, 08:28 AM
To make your existing tail light into a brake light ONLY, all you would need to do is to cut the positive wire on the light, and then run two wires from your brake light switch, to the rear of the quad, and connect one wire to each end of the cut wire.

to make your existing tail light into a dual tail/brake light, all you would need to do is to drill a hole into the rear of the tail light housing, add a single bulb, (or do two bulbs, one on each side of the tail light bulb), and then ground each bulb to the frame, pigtail the two hot (pos) wires together, run that wire up to the brake light switch, then run a hot (pos) wire to a existing SWITCHED ,(meaning it's only on when the key is on), hot wire.

OR you could do something like this...

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=307005&highlight=brake+light

bigbad400
10-25-2009, 08:41 AM
thanks alot tri5ron. i didnt know it was that easy. i got the idea from that thread but i didnt like the r1 light so i was looking for a gsxr light or a busa or something. cant find anything i like thats not 100$ so i started thinking about using what i have here. anyhow thanks for the how to.

Muddinguy
10-25-2009, 03:05 PM
get a 450r brake light they're dual filament bulbs set up..

bigbad400
10-25-2009, 06:46 PM
i just wired mine up like stated above for now and it works good just no driving light for at night, and its really not that bright. i found a small led light bar at autozone for 20 bucks thats a brake light for a cadillac, its like 5 1/2 inches long and has two rows of 8 leds. im sure that will be bright as hell and will also have a running light. on the caddilac theres two and they run up and down on either side. ill just have to fab up some diamond plate to make a sweet looking mount plate for it and use the stock mounts and rubber. it will fit perfect and look good and be real bright. thanks for the help guys.