PDA

View Full Version : 300ex cam chain slap?

Hoosierd
10-24-2009, 08:10 PM
Hi all,

I tried to dearch this subject for the last half hour and I am giving up in hopes some of you "Experts" can help.

I just purchased a built 400 ex for myself and now my son wants a quad too. I looked at a 300ex tonight and the owner claimed the rattle coming from the right side of motor is a cam chain noise and "could be fixed simply by replacing the cam chain guides?"

OK, total noob to 4 stokes! Raced a '89 250R back when and now trying the 4 strokers.

Is this simple? How? Or possible to check before buying? Not real comfortable if it needs engine work right out of the gate. Also any idea on approximate costs involved?

Thanks everyone in advance!

honda300EXtreme
10-24-2009, 08:47 PM
it sounds to me like the guy might be trying to make a sale.

if its a loud rattle at idle its almost certin that there is too much slack in the cam chain but there could be several causes,

odds are either:

the cam chain is stretched and needs replaced
or the cam chain tensioner has failed and is not fully locking out

it has been awhile since i have had to deal with quad parts but if i recall

the tensioner runs about 60 - 75$ depending where you get it
and a cam chain i believe is in the 40 range,

if your not comfortable putting money into from the start shop around, 300's are a dime a dozen any more these days

unless hes giving you a good deal. either way its not a very complicated fix, a service manual and a little time and youll be fine

Hoosierd
10-24-2009, 09:29 PM
Actually you can hear it best when at idle. It did not really seem to get worse under a load, but yet loud exhaust in a barn = woah! The big black plug on the right upper side, is that an inspection plug/hole?

The story goes, my son who learned how to ride this last fall on a KLX110, then pit-biked the KLX out this spring. All my friends say "he is ready to move up!" So I buy a full race prepped KTM85sx (w/105 kit) and become Dad of the year..WRONG..he rides it around the yard a few times and now will not touch it. Scared to death of it. This thing should have a picture of a bottle rocket on the side of it! LOL! WAY TO FAST for a basic novice rider. I grew up racing quads so, lets get quads.

So been looking around and wife says "you are done!" But being clever I thought someone might wanna trade for a nice semi built quad for it. Keeps peace in the house. I found this guy that was willing and seems very straight up but am wondering if this is just another project I do not need right now. LOL!

Thanks for the help and keep the shiney side up!

shiley55
10-24-2009, 10:23 PM
how much is the guy asking for it and does it look like its been rode to hell and back if its in pretty good shape and he dosent want a crazy price for it you could easily get a new motor for it specially now going into winter everyone is getting rid of this years race stuff for one reason or another be it getting new just because or moving up in class . can you put a pic of it on here and tell us the price

Hoosierd
10-25-2009, 06:54 AM
here is his add:
2000 HONDA 300EX
TONS OF AFTERMARKET GOODIES

MIER ONE PC FRONT PLASTIC
HALOGEN HEADLIGHTS
DG FULL EXHAUST
ALUMINUM NERFBARS
MACHINED ALUMINUM REAR GRAB BAR
TUBE ALUMINUM FRONT BUMPER
400EX A-ARMS
HOLESHOT REAR TIRES
K&N FILTER
JET KIT
CUSTOM ALUMINUM HANDLEBAR RISER
FLY ALUMINUM HANDLEBARS
MACHINED ALUMINUM SWAYBAR
FRONT AND REAR LOWERING KIT
MACHINED ALUMINUM STARTER COVER

MACHINED ALUMINUM CASESAVER
+ LOTS MORE !!

In trade up even for my son's 2004 KTM85SX (105 big bore) race bike.

Good/bad deal???