PDA

View Full Version : cutting out half throttle and up

infrontofu
10-24-2009, 05:24 PM
04 434bbk hot cams[new style]esr racing cdi box big gun pipe kibble white springs did hd t chain.
this all started a few weeks back when i was running the trx 450r carb it was jetted correctly and ran good after a day of riding it started cutting out and missing in the upper rpm range cleaned carb new plug filter repacked pipe.also ran down the ground wires to check them out.no change cleaned carb again checked timing replaced carb to head boot no change.now i ditched the 450r carb thinking this was the problem stole my sons stock bsr 36 off his perfectly fine running z same problem.cleaned his carb no help put it on his bike 10 minutes later and it ran fine.i think ive ruled out a carb problem.plug is covered in black soot indicating a rich problem i know,but his stock carb should be way lean on my bike.motor only has 20 or so hours on it so im sure it is in good mechanical shape i did check the valve clearence when i pulled the cover to check the timing.
im leaning to thing it is an electrical issue any ideas where to start my sons z is an 05 his cdi is diffrent or i would have already tried it.
can a cdi half a## quit working or the coil.
i have covered the basics and am 100% sure it is not the carb im sure the black soot covered plug is a by product of it not burning the fuel completely just dont know where to start as im not to savy on the electronic side of things....